ADVERTISEMENT

The New WBB Recruiting Thread

Trying her post game comments on the radio, Bluder said she'd be in Cincinnati on a recruiting trip. Names?

:Gabbie Marshall from Mount Notre Dame in Cincinnati. 2019 PG, 5-9 . From Kathryn Reynolds HS.
Others in Ohio:
Sammie Puisis (2019), Abby Prohaska (2018), Nevaeh Dean (2020), Sommer Pitzer (2019)

Don't think Bre has scored yet. Pretty amazing for a starter. Thought we might find a 3-point shooter today but don't think it happened.

:Gabbie Marshall from Mount Notre Dame in Cincinnati. 2019 PG, 5-9 . From Kathryn Reynolds HS.
Others in Ohio:
Sammie Puisis (2019), Abby Prohaska (2018), Nevaeh Dean (2020), Sommer Pitzer (2019)

Nevaeh Dean, spelled backwards - Heaven. We have a little girl at our church with that name.

Reactions: HIWILLE
i keep reading about these 3 point shooters that Iowa needs. Aren't those Joens girls from Iowa City good 3 point shooters? Also have heard jinaya Houston's closest comparison for former Iowa players is Tia Mays.

Tia Mays never played for Iowa. If I recall correctly, she quit the team and left lowa her freshman year before the season even started.

Tia Mays was going to play for Iowa. Then she hurt her knee and didn't play for awhile. She was from Des Moines, and went home to play for DMACC. She then ended up transferring and did fairly well at Missouri State.Nothing like Houston. More of an inside post and rebounder.

What is the history with LB and not getting any of the 3 joens girls

Bluder knows the Joens family well and what they (dad especially) are all about. Let's just say you don't want to introduce that dynamic into your program.

Reactions: Hawkcop
Bluder knows the Joens family well and what they (dad especially) are all about. Let's just say you don't want to introduce that dynamic into your program.
Sounds like they'll fit in well on a Fennelly team.

"The Journey to the Tourney has five of the state’s top six uncommitted players in the 2018 class, including Lakota West guard/forward Abby Prohaska. Prohaska, who played on the USA Basketball Women’s Under-17 team this summer, is considering the likes of Notre Dame, Florida, Iowa, Tennessee, Stanford, Florida State, Indiana, UCLA and Vanderbilt."

That is almost a 'who's who' list of WBB programs. While it is certainly flattering to be included in that list, one would have to think that Iowa's chances are in the lower teens at best and realistically in the single digits.

Last edited:
"they are all about". The girls are good kids, they work hard and have become or are becoming good basketball players. Lisa doesn't like the dad, plain and simple, and has refused to recruit his kids. She has that right. She runs the store. If she doesn't feel there is room for a talented kid in her program because she can't handle a parent, then fine. Just let it be at that, but don't muddy the waters for that same kid by speaking ill of them to other coaches.

"they are all about". The girls are good kids, they work hard and have become or are becoming good basketball players. Lisa doesn't like the dad, plain and simple, and has refused to recruit his kids. She has that right. She runs the store. If she doesn't feel there is room for a talented kid in her program because she can't handle a parent, then fine. Just let it be at that, but don't muddy the waters for that same kid by speaking ill of them to other coaches.
It's unfortunate but it may be for the best. Don't be too disappointed yet, they have Jinaya arriving next year (2017) and Iowa could still have a very good recruiting class for 2018. Anyway, IMO, they need to recruit a center in 2018 more than any other position.

Also, and regardless, consider the situation at Nebraska 1-2 years ago with the Page sisters from Wamego KS. The oldest one spent one year there before transferring to Kansas (or KSU) last year. The younger one decommited to follow her sister. Their father was their HS coach and he thought the oldest daughter should have been a starter or at least had more PT. A college coach is not going to want his/her players parents trying to interfere with the coach's decisions. I don't know if that is the situation here, but it certainly could be and if so also consider that the Joen's are right there in IC and not in Wisconsin or Illinois.

I have faith in Lisa and trust her to do whatever is right for the program.

Last edited:
Reactions: Hawk24
North opened the season with a 78-59 road win against Cedar Rapids Prairie. Jinaya Houston had 33 points and Stowers poured in 27.
Cx_kDgXXEAApAd9.jpg

Jinaya was 9-9 from the FT line and hit 2 3ptrs.

Last edited:
IOWA GIRLS BASKETBALL
All eyes on the 'Cats: Expectations at fever pitch for North girls

North has depth, experience, size, scoring and star power returning from a 21-4 squad. When asked which players were among the best in the MAC this winter, one league coach simply responded on his preseason questionnaire: “North’s starting five.”

It has two all-staters back, one headed to play basketball for Iowa in Jinaya Houston, and another four-year starter in Jacionna Stowers. It added a transfer in Mariah Mayfield, who averaged 15 points a game last season at Davenport West.

North opened the season with a 78-59 road win against Cedar Rapids Prairie. Houston had 33 points and Stowers poured in 27. The Wildcats have 20 more games to prove themselves before the postseason in February.

Let's throw in Jr center and D1 prospect Paige Bradford. This team will excite.

Anybody have some names for 2018? It is hard to find any one with a Hawkeye offer.Maybe it is not going so well.Thanks for any info.

Carmen Backes , 6-0 Wing
Kayla Mershon, 6-1 F
Ashtyn Veerneek , 6-2 F
Kate Martin, 6-0 G
Monika Czinano, 6-3 P
Lindsey Jarosinski, 6-5 P
Emma Gamoke, 5-10 G
Ayoka Lee, 6-5 P
Delaynie Byrne, 6-2 F
Brooklyn Paulson, 5-9 G
Naz Hillmon, 6-2 F
Chloe Rice, 5-10 G

Carmen Backes, girls basketball, Chicago Lakes (Minnesota).

The forward was spectacular in a 70-61 win over Superior (Wisconsin) last Friday. Backes scored 37 points and pulled in 16 rebounds to lead Chicago Lakes.

It happens way more often than you may realize hawkbuck. Iowa is not immune to it as they have sent some kids packing after similar situations. I found out myself when your paycheck depends on the performance of 18-21 year olds. Given your situation and specific areas of need, there are certain kids you can and sometimes should take a risk on. Unless you are at UCONN, Maryland or Notre Dame very few coaches in the women's game today have the luxury of getting just about any recruit they want.

I hope she succeeds at Duke as well, but that coaching staff doesn't stroke player's egos. I don't think either one of us would be surprised if she doesn't finish her college career there. One of two things will happen--She will grow up quickly, increase her work ethic and improve her game, or she will fold up tent and transfer. I don't see a middle ground for that type of kid.
She folded.

Re: Where's the WBB Recruiting Thread?

Iowa has signed Tania Davis a 5'4" pg from Michigan. 5 star. Megan Gustafson a 6'3" pf from Wisc. 4 star. Hannah Stewart a 6'2" f from N. Dakota. 4 star. And Tagyn Larson a 6'2" wing from S.D. 3 star.
smile.r191677.gif

I would also add the first 3 ladies listed are top 100 players.
smile.r191677.gif

I watched Megan Gustafson's game Thursday. She has good hands, and good footwork. All her shots came 8 ft.
from the basket. Shot about 50% free throws, ended up with 30 pts. Defense is not good, and hard to tell on rebounding,
since she has a height advantage. Not ready for big ten basketball yet, But when she starts playing with and against
better talent her own size I think she will improve nicely.

I guess that setting new single game and season scoring records and rewriting the all-time career scoring record is not good enough to be PoY in Wisconsin. So it seems the award is based on a theoretical ranking.

Talked to Tania at Boo Williams. What a great kid! She seems to be healthy and ready to get back at it. She certainly is looking forward to getting started with the Iowa program!

2015 class is in town. Here are Megan, Tania, and Tagyn.

Megan needs to work on her selfie technique. I mean "shooting" technique.

This thread was fun to go back and read. :D^

Reactions: LinusPF
ADVERTISEMENT