ADVERTISEMENT

The New WBB Recruiting Thread

Kat's a great player but she's not a post.

A scholly in '16 could go to best player available or it could be targeted to a specific position- which I would have to think would be a C.

I really don't think they will add any more to 2016. Kat tudor was a player with mutual interest but no room. I think the coaches like the 2017 posts better than the 2016's.
This is predicated, of course, on nothing happening with the 2016 verbals.

New scouting reports from 5 State Hoops.

First, here's arguably the two 2017 recruits that Bluder would most like to land. From Simply the Best:

Jinaya Houston, All Iowa Attack 11th Nike

6'1" 2017 Guard/Davenport North H.S. (IA)

-Houston could make a strong case for the top 2017 scoring guard in the region. Silky smooth off the bounce, uses her length and balance to get clean looks to the rim or with pull-up jumpers, where she has a nice touch. With her size advantage and shooting prowess, Houston is a dual scoring threat with her three range and accurate jumper.

Madison Treece, All Iowa Attack 11th Nike

6'4" 2017 Center/Rock Bridge H.S. (MO)

-Among the top 2017s in the region, Treece has been steadily improving her perimeter game this AAU season, and now shows the ability to drive from the arc and convert the open three. With her size and strength, Treece anchors the back of a defense protecting the rim and cleaning up the defensive glass, triggering the break. High Major recruit.

Potential 2018 recruits from Simply the Best:

Kayla Mershon, North Tartan 9th

6'3" 2018 Forward/Minnetonka H.S. (MN)

-Entered Simply the Best as one of the top 2018 players regionally, Mershon lived up to those expectations and then some as North Tartan 9th tracked down a 6-0 mark in Ames. Mershon is a triple threat as a scorer, working off low block, dribble drives and a jump shooting game. A likely High Major recruit, Mershon owns the defensive glass and is a legitimate rim protector on defensive end.

Chloe Rice, Legacy Basketball Academy

5'9" 2018 Guard/Marion H.S. (IA)

-Rice has High Major recruit written all over her game. Whether it's leading her prep team in scoring as a freshman or taking the reigns of a talented AAU squad, Rice is a gifted scorer. Lean and athletic, Rice is tremendous off the bounce, using quickness and reach to get clean looks in traffic. Has a strong shooting touch with good range. Rice is a player BCS level schools will need to get looks at.

And from the 2019 class:

Grace Cumming, All Iowa Attack 8th Nike

6'2" 2019 Forward/Des Moines (IA)

-Cumming is a player who looks poised to explode on the High School scene this year as a freshman. Long and athletic forward who is an elite rebounder who can score inside, has a strong mid-range game and adds three point touch to her arsenal, this young forward has High Major written all over her as her game continues to advance. At or near top of 2019 class.

Also, check out 5 State Hoops 2016 Regional Rankings Here

Reactions: dacjr and cyberhawk
The All Iowa Attack was 5 and 0 this past weekend in Chicago at the Nike Girls EYBL. After their performance in Hampton Virginia in April they are 9-1 over-all going into Nationals later this month (July 27-30). Midwest Elite and Michigan Crossover are each 5-5.

Nike Girls EYBL - Home

Last edited:
The All Iowa Attack were 4 and 0 this past weekend in Chicago at the Nike Girls EYBL. After there performance in Hampton Virginia in April they are 9-1 over-all going into the national later this month. Midwest Elite and Michigan Crossover are each 5-5.

Nike Girls EYBL - Home
I watched a couple of their games online. They had a nice win over Boo Williams. Houston hit a 3 to give Attack the lead late in that game. Jensen is doing a nice job with this group it appears.

Reactions: Gary1948
http://www.dailyillini.com/article/2015/07/outlook-bleak-for-womens-basketball-program

I found this article on the Illinois WBB team. Maybe with the turmoil we could have a shot at White if she transferred. I believe we recruited her originally.

This has been a story on ESPN for about 3 months now & continues to grow in scope. One of their top players, Jacqui Grant has transferred along with Amarah Coleman to Depaul. The following link describes what some of the players are claiming took place over the last few years. From all the articles on ESPN it's been interesting to follow as the team appears completely divided on this.

http://depauliaonline.com/sports/20...all-transfers-faced-verbal-abuse-at-illinois/

http://www.dailyillini.com/article/2015/07/outlook-bleak-for-womens-basketball-program

I found this article on the Illinois WBB team. Maybe with the turmoil we could have a shot at White if she transferred. I believe we recruited her originally.
Her father has stated that Chatrice would like to stay as long as Bollant is HC. Whether she would leave if he is fired is unclear but Iowa was not on her short-list and I doubt that the staff would even want her with all the 'drama' that would follow her. Also, I personally don't think that she fits in with Iowa's up-tempo style.

Her father has stated that Chatrice would like to stay as long as Bollant is HC. Whether she would leave if he is fired is unclear but Iowa was not on her short-list and I doubt that the staff would even want her with all the 'drama' that would follow her. Also, I personally don't think that she fits in with Iowa's up-tempo style.

From all the articles I've read on this early on she wanted to stay at Illinois as long as the coaches remained. The more recent articles out there suggest she may not want to stick around as it this plays out in the courts & may decide to transfer. It could be how the articles are written & who was interviewed, but the tone of all this has certainly changed. If she does decide to transfer, I'd look for it to be to a Big 12 school.

I heard Jinaya Houston from Davenport North will be in IC on an unofficial this weekend. I think several recruits will be coming in. Michigan just offered her. ISU and Colorado are probably recruiting her the hardest at this point.

Thanks Tom! Do you know if Iowa has offered her? Also, there are at least three other players [that I recall] in the class of 2017 that have been mentioned in this thread; Madison Treece (All Iowa Attack teammate of Jinaya), Sidney Cooks (Midwest Elite teammate of Breanna) and Destiny Pitts (Michigan Crossover?). Do you know if any of them are visiting and/or have offers from Iowa? Are any of the 2016 verbal commits visiting?

2017 Taylor Kissinger 6-0 G Minden NE

Katlyn Gilbert 5-10 G IN
Chrisy Carr 60 G MN
Kayana Traylor 5-9 G IN
Arieal Scott 5-9 G IL
Anaya Peoples 5-5 G IL
Breanna Beal 6-0 IL
Zoe Young 5-9 G IA
I'm probably forgetting some.

Katlyn Gilbert also plays at Heritage Christian. Kayana Traylor's father is former Iowa MBB player, Jeff Walker.

Getting pumped 4 a B1G afternoon! We have a TopYoung Gun comin' 2 visit followed by Foreign Practice #6 in prep 4 our trip to Italy
From Jan Jensen. Houston, or another recruit?

HOW BASKETBALL RECRUIT TYASHA HARRIS IS COVERING ALL THE BASES
By Walter Villa | Jun 25, 2015 | Special to espnW
i

Tyasha Harris averaged 20 points last season and led Heritage Christian to a second consecutive Indiana state title.

Reactions: satrinny
Thanks Tom! Do you know if Iowa has offered her? Also, there are at least three other players [that I recall] in the class of 2017 that have been mentioned in this thread; Madison Treece (All Iowa Attack teammate of Jinaya), Sidney Cooks (Midwest Elite teammate of Breanna) and Destiny Pitts (Michigan Crossover?). Do you know if any of them are visiting and/or have offers from Iowa? Are any of the 2016 verbal commits visiting?
Yes Iowa has offered. Not sure about who else is coming in. I can try and find out. Edit to say Houston is going to IC tomorrow...Thursday.

Last edited:
Jan Jensen ‏@goiowa 42m42 minutes agWe had such a fun time with 1 of our Top YoungGuns yesterday-so,we thought we'd do it again!
1f604.png
So pumped 2host another of nation's best today!
Must be Jinaya today.
Jeff Walker did get dismissed before seeing the court. Used someones ATM card without permission. He came in with Ricky Davis. I saw him play at a couple of events and he was almost as impressive as Ricky. A real quiet guy that hardly spoke a word.

Houston officially has an offer. Elle Brown and Madison Treece have offers. 2 scholarships to give from what I understand. If these girls want to go to Iowa, the pressure is on them a bit.

A couple more names for 2018
Grace Berg 6-0 F Indianola IA
Alexis Patterson 5-8 G Dubuque IA

Hoopgurlz has released their Top 100 for 2016. Amanda Ollinger went from #30 to #64 (4* 95 overall rating) & Makenzie Meyer went from #57 to #93 (4* 93 overall rating).

http://espn.go.com/high-school/girls-basketball/recruiting/rankings/_/class/2016

2017 Super 60 also released with a couple names mentioned here included #14 Madison Treece, #15 Sidney Cooks.

http://espn.go.com/high-school/girls-basketball/recruiting/rankings/_/class/2017

Chrissy Carr & Katlyn Gilbert both in the top 12 for 2018

http://espn.go.com/high-school/girls-basketball/recruiting/rankings/_/class/2018

Breanna Beal & Zoe Young are included in the short watch list for 2019.

http://espn.go.com/high-school/girls-basketball/recruiting/rankings/_/class/2019

Tyasha Harris which non-poster listed as still possible for 2016 is the #10 player overall in her class.

Last edited:
New offer for 2018
Cassidy Hardin 5-10 SG, Cedar Grove IN.
Tyasha Harris announced a final 10. Iowa is included.

Since the summer thread may come to an end, I hope Cy and Oak and others will keep this one going with some recruiting updates.
Thanks

Reactions: iarick
We should see 2017 heating up now that the Pan am games and Italian tour are done. Back to recruiting.

ADVERTISEMENT