ADVERTISEMENT

The Offer

BioHawk

HR Legend
Sep 21, 2005
I just finished the first 3 episodes for this and it is fantastic. Holy crap is this good. I don't know how true all of it is but I had no idea how much crap had to be gone through for that movie to get made. The cast is outstanding. Well worth your time to watch this series.

Reactions: JupiterHawk
I never understood why people tell us to watch something and then don't tell us where to stream it from.

Paramount+

• Sad
Reactions: JoseCansecojr

Great story. The guy playing Robert Evans is great.

Do yourself a favor and get the audio version of “The Kid Stays in the Picture”. Narrated by Evans himself. Tells this entire story. Awesome.

Reactions: BioHawk
I'm somewhat interested in this, but its getting absolutely savaged by critics. I've read quite a bit about Robert Evans and Coppola the making of the Godfather, so I suspect this will fall into the category of "things I know too much about to enjoy a fictionalization of."

But when all the episodes are out I might check it out.

Reactions: 2bagger22
I never understood why people tell us to watch something and then don't tell us where to stream it from.

Paramount+
I’ve mentioned this website before but it’s worth mentioning again. Justwatch.com is a good place to find out where something you want to watch is available for streaming. It’s not always 100% up to date since streaming providers are constantly adding and removing content, but it’s a good starting place.

Reactions: fredjr82
I'm somewhat interested in this, but its getting absolutely savaged by critics. I've read quite a bit about Robert Evans and Coppola the making of the Godfather, so I suspect this will fall into the category of "things I know too much about to enjoy a fictionalization of."

But when all the episodes are out I might check it out.
I haven't read any reviews but I have no idea why they wouldn't like this. It's possible that many of the critics are too close to the source to properly evaluate it.

One of those weird Rotten Tomatoes dichotomies. It is at 41% from critics, 92% from audiences. I will assume you are not a critic ;)

Do I need to watch the Godfather first to enjoy this show?

And for those who have seen it already...here's a sample from "The Kid Stays in the Picture". You can hear the real Robert Evans.

And for those who have seen it already...here's a sample from "The Kid Stays in the Picture". You can hear the real Robert Evans.

Wait, he got out of bed in the morning without fvcking Ali McGraw?

I mean that's true for me, too - my whole life - but she's never actually been in my bed, so I have an excuse.

Ali-MacGraw.jpg

Reactions: FAUlty Gator
One of those weird Rotten Tomatoes dichotomies. It is at 41% from critics, 92% from audiences. I will assume you are not a critic ;)
Well, the critics are wrong on this one. I suspect they are pissed off because Frank Sinatra doesn't come off as very likable and maybe their feathers all got ruffled by it or something. Actually, there's a few people who don't come off very well if you try to apply modern 21st century norms to the late 60's, early 70's. On the the other hand, I think Francis Ford Coppola comes off very well. At least for the first 3 episodes, there's still a lot to tell as far as his story goes.

Reactions: Mister Hawkeyes
Well, the critics are wrong on this one. I suspect they are pissed off because Frank Sinatra doesn't come off as very likable and maybe their feathers all got ruffled by it or something. Actually, there's a few people who don't come off very well if you try to apply modern 21st century norms to the late 60's, early 70's. On the the other hand, I think Francis Ford Coppola comes off very well. At least for the first 3 episodes, there's still a lot to tell as far as his story goes.
It looked ver interesting from the trailers. There is just so damn much stuff out there to watch but I am going to try to give it a go.

Agree. And I don't think this will be a spoiler, because I don't know if they'll use it.

But in the Evans book, Evans talks about how after the first viewing, he had to tell Coppola to put back in all of the great scenes he left on the cutting room floor. The fact he was pissed in the show by how long the script was, lets me think that's where they're going with it. He was pissed the script was too long then realizes it was the actual perfect length to tell the story and needed to all be included in the film.

Evans didn't like Coppola, thought he was too needy and a pre-madonna. :) However, said only Coppola could do the job needed on the movie and said no one could have done it better.

Agree. And I don't think this will be a spoiler, because I don't know if they'll use it.

But in the Evans book, Evans talks about how after the first viewing, he had to tell Coppola to put back in all of the great scenes he left on the cutting room floor. The fact he was pissed in the show by how long the script was, lets me think that's where they're going with it. He was pissed the script was too long then realizes it was the actual perfect length to tell the story and needed to all be included in the film.

Evans didn't like Coppola, thought he was too needy and a pre-madonna. :) However, said only Coppola could do the job needed on the movie and said no one could have done it better.
I'd like to read Evans book. Started watching The Offer and went down a rabbit hole about Evans. Crazy life with the drug dealing girl friend and funding from the mob.

I'd like to read Evans book. Started watching The Offer and went down a rabbit hole about Evans. Crazy life with the drug dealing girl friend and funding from the mob.
DO NOT READ IT. Get the Audiobook with him narrating it. Big difference. And now that you have heard the actor, I imagine it will even be better for you.

Reactions: BioHawk and Fijimn
I just finished the first 3 episodes for this and it is fantastic. Holy crap is this good. I don't know how true all of it is but I had no idea how much crap had to be gone through for that movie to get made. The cast is outstanding. Well worth your time to watch this series.
Just finished the most recent episode and I fully agree with everything you’ve said in this thread. I haven’t read any critic reviews but if they are panning it, they are wrong. Saying the casting is outstanding might actually be an understatement. The guy who plays Bob Evans seems like he’s on another level compared to the other actors. Juno Temple, the actress who plays Ruddy’s assistant, just got cast in the 5th season of Fargo. She might be onto big things in the future.

I appreciate this recommendation. The Godfather is my favorite movie so The Offer has been a lot of fun to watch. Obviously you have to take the story with a massive grain of salt but it’s still incredibly entertaining.

Just finished the most recent episode and I fully agree with everything you’ve said in this thread. I haven’t read any critic reviews but if they are panning it, they are wrong. Saying the casting is outstanding might actually be an understatement. The guy who plays Bob Evans seems like he’s on another level compared to the other actors. Juno Temple, the actress who plays Ruddy’s assistant, just got cast in the 5th season of Fargo. She might be onto big things in the future.

I appreciate this recommendation. The Godfather is my favorite movie so The Offer has been a lot of fun to watch. Obviously you have to take the story with a massive grain of salt but it’s still incredibly entertaining.
Get “The Kid Stays in the Picture” Audiobook if you love the Godfather and The Offer. You’ll like them more.

ADVERTISEMENT