ADVERTISEMENT

**** The Official Annual Good Friday HROT Jesus Christ Superstar Listening Thread ****

The Tradition

HR King
Apr 23, 2002
This is so great. Ian Gillan (Deep Purple) as Jesus; Murray Head (One Night in Bangkok) as Judas. Freaking awesome. One of the greatest musical recordings in history.

Happy Easter, everyone.

Last edited:
Yvonne Elliman, who sang the part of Mary Magdalene on the original rock opera concept album Jesus Christ Superstar and also in the 1971 Broadway original cast and 1973 film, released a single of "Everything's Alright" in 1971, which reached #92 on the Billboard Hot 100.

So awesome.

Upon the release of the original Jesus Christ Superstar album Capitol Records executive Artie Mogull heard the potential for a smash hit in the track "I Don't Know How to Love Him" and had pitched the song to Linda Ronstadt, then on the Capitol roster; after Ronstadt advised Mogull: "she hated the song, [saying] it was terrible" Mogull invited the then-unknown Helen Reddy to record "I Don't Know How to Love Him" as part of a one-off single deal with Capitol. Reddy herself did not care for "I Don't Know How to Love Him" agreeing to cut the song to serve as B-side for the track she wished to record: the Mac Davis composition; "I Believe in Music" (later a hit for Gallery).[23]

Reddy's recording of "I Don't Know How to Love Him" entered the national charts in March 1971 – showing in the Top Ten in Dallas and Denver that month[26] – but its momentum was so gradual as to not effect Top 40 entry until that May; by then MCA Records had issued the original Yvonne Elliman track as a single and from 15 May 1971 to 26 June 1971 both versions were in the Top 40 with Reddy's version maintaining the upper hand peaking at No. 13 while Elliman's version peaked at No. 28.

This is so great. Ian Gillan (Deep Purple) as Jesus; Murray Head (One Night in Bangkok) as Judas. Freaking awesome. One of the greatest musical recordings in history.

Happy Easter, everyone.

Who in the hell do you think you are?

Any idea if the film adaption is available on any of the streaming services? I haven’t thought about this film or soundtrack in probably over 3 decades.

I don’t like the pan flute parts or whatever that is. The rest is a bop though.

In 1970, Gillan received a call from Tim Rice, asking him to perform the part of Jesus on the original 1970 album recording of Jesus Christ Superstar, having been impressed with his performance on "Child in Time". After rehearsing a few times with Rice and Andrew Lloyd Webber, he recorded his entire vocal contributions in three hours.

😲 😲 😲 😲 😲 😲

Reactions: Moral
ADVERTISEMENT