ADVERTISEMENT

**** The OFFICIAL election returns thread ****

I was super shocked at the results from Scott County. I thought Hubbel would win convincingly there, but only got 50 percent to 47 percent. That was was a substantially closer margin than in Linn County, which typically is much more conservative than Scott. Very odd.

Ottumwa is still out there - which might be Hubbell's last shot.
I doubt he gets anything from here. The county is slowly turning red.

Gives me hope that King will be beat some day. But idk. I always think Iowans are better than that but sure hasn’t seemed that way.

Just because you disagree with her positions on issues doesn’t mean she is dumb, just means she has a different opinion. Any woman that can win the governorship is not dumb no matter how much you disagree with her.

I call it dumb when you don't learn from the first OWI and get a second one. Just think one more and she'll be a felon.

Didn’t get many answers before.

Will Dems investigate or legislate?
Hopefully both. I hope they don't go full retrad on the investigations like the republicans did, but there's all kinds of shit that's need investigated that's just been ignored the last two years. It will be good to finally have a check on the corruption.

Reactions: torbee
You got to hand this to the GOP - they are MASTERS at finding ways to make the electoral math work for them.

E5VwWb.jpg

Last edited:
Dont think you can Gerrymander the Senate.

Although the general point that minority government is bad is a good one.
Yeah, poor choice of words and I should know better. It's been a long election night! It's just odd that you can secure 7 MILLION more votes than your opposition and have 10 fewer seats.

The GOP is better at working the math, is what I meant to say.

Yeah, poor choice of words and I should know better. It's been a long election night! It's just odd that you can secure 7 MILLION more votes than your opposition and have 10 fewer seats.

The GOP is better at working the math, is what I meant to say.

What it shows is how incredibly divided we are. California is so overwhelmingly D now it skewers that number a lot.

Dont be surprised if you hear more "abolish the senate' language though.

States are passe....we are more and more a collection of urban based regions.
Statements like that don't play in rural areas. People think this is about Dem vs GOP, it's not. It's about urban vs rural and it's been that way for a while. You can't just ignore rural America.

Statements like that don't play in rural areas. People think this is about Dem vs GOP, it's not. It's about urban vs rural and it's been that way for a while. You can't just ignore rural America.

Just let it keep dying slowly....A long painful agonizing economic death

I am not stating it as a policy...

The fact is...the people who they vote for are not going to help them. A tax cut isn't the answer to every policy problem.
I don't think you understand the issues in rural America, by what you just said there.

I really don't have the time . Just look at the county by county maps and look at all the red, and then look at how the blue is concentrated in urban areas. Rural America has been completely rejecting Democratic policies for a while because, simply put, we don't think the Democrats give two shits about us out here.

I really don't have the time . Just look at the county by county maps and look at all the red, and then look at how the blue is concentrated in urban areas. Rural America has been completely rejecting Democratic policies for a while because, simply put, we don't think the Democrats give two shits about us out here.

Well, you're stupid then. Like Republicans are working for you? LOL!!!

Its not really a policy thing though, is it?

What Republican policy is helping a small town in East Central Iowa that is 40% LMI?

It's not the policy agenda of the Democrats that the rural people are rejecting. Republicans are just getting away with exploiting white resentment/backlash. Trump doesn't dog whistle--it's explicit and the Republicans are temporarily benefiting (He tells it like it is per the archetypal Trump voter).

Republican policies are explicitly anti-rural and pro-plutocratic. That's what makes all of this so ironic. This will crack at some point because it's just not sustainable for the Republicans when they can't/won't deliver per policy to their poor, rural, and heavily dependent on the government primary constituency.

I think most knew the house was going democrat. I’m a little surprised that the gain was only 26. Obama lost 63, Bush lost 26, Clinton lost 50 something. If trump was so hated, you would think his number would be higher.

Also, it looks like The GOP senate control will be at 54 or 55. That is huge and is a big victory.

The next SCOTUS pick will be super conservative and will get the 51 votes. Don’t have to worry about Collins and Murkowski anymore.

I’m pleasantly surprised about last nights results. The next issue will be if Pelosi takes control. From the commentary last night, several of the new congressmen and women are moderates and have already said they wouldnt vote for her.

(CNN)Democratic candidate Stacey Abrams is not conceding the Georgia governor's race to Republican candidate Brian Kemp, arguing that the high stakes contest is too close to call with the possibility of a runoff next month.

Kemp is currently ahead of Abrams by nearly 68,000 votes with 99% of precincts reporting, according to CNN election results. But he only has 50.4% of the vote. If neither candidate receives 50%, there will be a runoff in early December.

"I'm here tonight to tell you votes remain to be counted. There's voices that are waiting to be heard," Abrams, who would be the nation's first black female governor, told supporters early Wednesday morning gathered in Atlanta.
Kemp told supporters he is confident of his victory.

"There are votes left to count. But we have a very strong lead. And folks, make no mistake, the math is on our side to win this election," he said.

According to a statement provided to CNN by her campaign, Abrams is holding off on conceding to see if a runoff is possible.

The campaign cited several specific places in the state that could play a role in a scenario to force the runoff, including three of the state's largest counties that "have reported only a portion of the votes that were submitted by early mail" and four other large counties that "have reported exactly 0 votes by mail," according to the campaign. Together, it said, the seven counties "are expected to return a minimum of 77,000 ballots."

"These counties also represent heavily-Democratic leaning constituencies, and the majority of those votes are anticipated to be for Stacey Abrams," the statement read. The campaign also said absentee ballots could make a difference.

"Across our state, folks are opening up the dreams of voters in absentee ballots, and we believe our chance for a stronger Georgia is just within reach," Abrams said Wednesday morning.

https://www.cnn.com/2018/11/07/politics/georgia-governors-race-stacey-abrams/index.html

"Sore loser" is not a good look, Stacey.....

We voted out Scott "the dictator" Walker up her in Wisconsin. Sending home the least educated governor in the US whom put in policies which stopped state employees from speaking out against him was such a pleasure. You are welcome America!

Last edited:
Reactions: Menace Sockeyes
Kim will hang on Joel. Keep fighting your good fight old man.
Nancy had a pretty good night in Ioway, Bruno. She got 3of 4. Kim did hang on. Now I hope she does something as Governor. She needs to clean up the MedicAid mess but, if she doesn’t, her friends don’t care. School is gonna get more expensive for Iowans and I am sure her con friends will be pushing vouchers for their private, religious schools.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT