ADVERTISEMENT

**** The Official FSU vs. LSU Game Day Thread ****

That's about how I felt, minus about 250 lbs.

We are a better team this year than we were at the end of last year. It's amazing what a competent OL can do for a team's success. Our talent-level is top-25, easily (probably top-15). The staff seems to have a really good eye for roster talent, particularly with transfers and 3-stars. Still making some bonehead plays and bonehead decisions, but the tackling is getting better and we are making more big plays.

We were the better team out there. I thought quite a bit better. We almost found a way to lose the game, but didn't. That's progress, with a lot of room for improvement. For as well as we played on offense, I'm surprised we only put up 24 on the scoreboard.

I like this staff. It feels like we have grown-ups in charge, something that hasn't been present since Jimbo's second-to-last season. The team has totally bought into them.......and that's all that really matters.

I was screaming so loud I cannot believe the neighbors didn’t call 911. My poor dog went and hid under the bed.
Had to take two Tylenol PM’s and still couldn’t fall asleep until almost 3AM.
Le bon temps roule! That is the bar on Magazine I ended up at for post game drinks. Very appropriate.

Reactions: noleclone2
What makes the FSU win so sweet is that LSU Coach Brian
Kelly is an egotist of the first degree. He left Notre Dame
for a 10 year contract worth 95 Million dollars.

In Pre-season rankings, LSU was ranked 29th in the nation
and FSU was ranked 40th. So the FSU win was an upset and
could not happen to a more deserving guy than Brian Kelly.

And a game like this will play well with potential recruits also. This was a big stepping stone for Norvell and the team. Suddenly, optimism blossoms over FSU football again.
This will play with recruits because one team was excited to be playing and looked like they were having fun out there and the other looked like they were on the verge of a mutiny.

1. 8 - 2 all-time vs LSU. 8 games in Louisiana, 1 in Tally, 1 in Atlanta.

2. Is there a close up video of the blocked PAT?

The team looked great, but norvell still can’t finish a game. Any NFL coach would have called 2 keepers and kicked a FG on 3rd down to ice the win. And not taking the FG at the end of the first half was criminal.
Yeah. The non-FG at the end of the at the end of the half hurt my heart.
I get the analytics, but in my view they are not situational enough.
In that moment we had the chance to go up two scores, leave them well under a minute, and get the ball after half to have a chance to go up three scores.
Limited number of possessions in football. Having them down three scores before they get the ball in the second half - where does that fit in the analytics?

He’s not wrong about the play call but didn’t need to say it 6-7 times. Sharpe was a great player but damn the guy can run his mouth.
The play call stuff is subjective Monday morning quarterbacking.

Kelly was stupid for not going for it from the two when his kicking team was having a rough night and his offense was driving effectively.

Norvell was stupid for not kicking it from the two when his kicking team was having a rough night and our offense was driving effectively.

Last edited:
Reactions: BelemNole
They were both chip shots - if our kicker can’t hit a FG from the 4 yard line the coaching staff has failed their jobs.
Fitzgerald was the kicker last year and we came into this game with 39 straight red zone conversions.
Without looking at the stats, gotta believe he was a pretty big part of the streak. I would have had him kick.

Last edited:
Reactions: BelemNole
There's two ways to look at this game:

1) Norvell made some stupid calls that almost cost us the game.

Or

2) FSU found a way to win despite the stupid calls that almost cost us the game.

Reactions: fsu1jreed
There's two ways to look at this game:

1) Norvell made some stupid calls that almost cost us the game.

Or

2) FSU found a way to win despite the stupid calls that almost cost us the game.
Or, Norvell appears to be making a huge difference in the team culture and is doing some great things, and like any coach he’ll occasionally make some questionable calls but on balance we’re glad to have him!

Or, Norvell appears to be making a huge difference in the team culture and is doing some great things, and like any coach he’ll occasionally make some questionable calls but on balance we’re glad to have him!

My thoughts are there is a lot to be excited about on both sides of ball and even on special teams. Only downside is, as with other games last two years under Mike, we as a team have not figured out how to put teams away that we were dominating. Both UNC games, the Jacksonville State debacle, BC, Miami, Syracuse, and now LSU we were clearly better team and let them all back in late. Need to stop letting that happen and learn how to put teams away on both sides of ball. We kicked their ass. This should have been a double digit 14-20 point win we were that much better yet still needed a blocked extra point to win (we lose in OT I think)

ADVERTISEMENT