ADVERTISEMENT

*****The official season 7 episode 2 GoT thread

Does this mean the Dornish will be under the power of the Lannisters? I can't imagine they will fight against them with their queen held hostage.
My one gripe about this show is that it seems like just an episode or two ago Euron was asking people to build him 1,000 ships. Those ships seem to have magically appeared and traveled at warp speed to the other side of the world destroying other ships. It is a fantasy show where disbelief is suspended but Euron and his ships just seem to have been dropped into Westeros having a disproportionate impact on the story.

Reactions: naturalmwa
My one gripe about this show is that it seems like just an episode or two ago Euron was asking people to build him 1,000 ships. Those ships seem to have magically appeared and traveled at warp speed to the other side of the world destroying other ships. It is a fantasy show where disbelief is suspended but Euron and his ships just seem to have been dropped into Westeros having a disproportionate impact on the story.

I agree. The world seems to have gotten much smaller lately. Arya goes from Braavos, to the Twins, to the North in short order. Samwell is in Oldtown which is in the South near Dorne. His pigeon seems to make it to Jon Snow in record time. And then as you mentioned, Euron builds a thousand ships then sails from the Iron Islands (Pyke) to Kings Landing in no time. When you look on a map, the Iron Islands are on the opposite side of the continent from Kings Landing. It would take a couple years to traverse around Westeros.

asoif_world_map.jpg

Well, last year but yeah, that's serious output available for what is essentially a pirate nation.

I have a feeling Euron's our new Ramsey and Yara/Dorne ladies are going to be repeatedly raped & mutilated until they reach King's Landing. Yara is a threat to Greyjoy legitimacy so she might not make it.

Does Cersei give Ellaria to the Mountain? Does Bronn save Tyene?

Well, last year but yeah, that's serious output available for what is essentially a pirate nation.

I have a feeling Euron's our new Ramsey and Yara/Dorne ladies are going to be repeatedly raped & mutilated until they reach King's Landing. Yara is a threat to Greyjoy legitimacy so she might not make it.

Does Cersei give Ellaria to the Mountain? Does Bronn save Tyene?
It was last year's episode but the ships were apparently built while Dany was en route to Dragonstone and Euron then made it to King's Landing to talk with Cersei.

Who do you think snitched on Yara and the iron born on the way to Dorn?

Someone knew they were on their way back, and Euron intercepted them.

Reactions: lucas80
Who do you think snitched on Yara and the iron born on the way to Dorn?

Someone knew they were on their way back, and Euron intercepted them.
Good point, plus it put the Kabosh on Tyrions plans. I'm wondering if the unsullied will run into a similar trap. Sending just the unsullied to attack the Lannister army seems like too bold of a move, plus I'm wondering how the Dothraki are handling being in a place like Westeros.

Last edited:
I was just reading a write up in the NYT about last nights episode. Links with the Times usually fail, so I'll just hit one point. When Arya said, "That's not you", to Nymeria, who was she speaking to? Was she saying to wolfie that it was a Northerner and should come home, or was she saying to herself that she isn't some wandering wolf? That's what she's been for awhile.
I still think that wolf shows up again. Hopefully bursting into a room and eating Littlefinger.

It goes back to a conversation in the first season that Ned was having with Arya about how a lady is supposed to be all girly and proper, like Sansa was. Arya was a tomboy who wanted to learn to fight, ride a horse, and shoot a bow. Ned, when referring to Arya being a lady, says something like "That's not you."

Arya was asking Nymeria to go back to Winterfell with her, but too much has changed just like too much has changed with Arya. Nymeria is wild and will not be domesticated, like Arya, "that's not you."

I'm guessing we'll see Nymeria and the pack again, she's just not going to go with Arya back to Winterfell. I'm also wondering if this incident changes Arya's mind and she decides to go south to King's Landing now.

That was Nymeria. Arya saying "that's not you" meant that Nymeria isn't a domesticated wolf, just like Arya herself. If you remember back to season 1, Arya's mother, sister, nurses, and everyone else but Ned and Jon, told her she was to be a lady. They tried to teach her to sew and learn table manners. That wasn't her.
Much in the way Arya is going north to help her family, I think we see the wolves again.

I should have kept reading the thread. Yep. Nailed it.

It goes back to a conversation in the first season that Ned was having with Arya about how a lady is supposed to be all girly and proper, like Sansa was. Arya was a tomboy who wanted to learn to fight, ride a horse, and shoot a bow. Ned, when referring to Arya being a lady, says something like "That's not you."

Arya was asking Nymeria to go back to Winterfell with her, but too much has changed just like too much has changed with Arya. Nymeria is wild and will not be domesticated, like Arya, "that's not you."

I'm guessing we'll see Nymeria and the pack again, she's just not going to go with Arya back to Winterfell. I'm also wondering if this incident changes Arya's mind and she decides to go south to King's Landing now.
She's definitely going North, Jon was one of the closest relationships she had with her family and going home, even to a brutal killer like her, has to be appealing. It will be interesting to see how Sansa reacts to how much she's changed and Vice Versa. Sansa is becoming more and more like Catelyn and Arya is now one of the worlds most deadly assassins. Times have changed.

I agree. The world seems to have gotten much smaller lately. Arya goes from Braavos, to the Twins, to the North in short order. Samwell is in Oldtown which is in the South near Dorne. His pigeon seems to make it to Jon Snow in record time. And then as you mentioned, Euron builds a thousand ships then sails from the Iron Islands (Pyke) to Kings Landing in no time. When you look on a map, the Iron Islands are on the opposite side of the continent from Kings Landing. It would take a couple years to traverse around Westeros.

asoif_world_map.jpg
A few years ago, some folks built a replica of a Phoenician trade ship and sailed around Africa in 10 months. My impression is Westros is much smaller than Africa given how routine we see travelers making their way from kings landing up to the north and back. The inhabited part of Westros looks to be about the size of the US turned on its side. Big, but not year long journeys to get around.

0a5e023d9c8f9339513be9a80084cfe6.jpg

Reactions: HawkAttackDial911
1. Excuse my ignorance, but I thought Yara was hanging from the bow of the ship that floated in front of Theon? Is she alive? I thought her corpse was a signal to the Iron Born?
2. Euron is filling the need for a comically evil character the producers seem to crave. Geoffrey, Ramsey, and now Euron. Is he starting to wear eyeliner?

1. Excuse my ignorance, but I thought Yara was hanging from the bow of the ship that floated in front of Theon? Is she alive? I thought her corpse was a signal to the Iron Born?
2. Euron is filling the need for a comically evil character the producers seem to crave. Geoffrey, Ramsey, and now Euron. Is he starting to wear eyeliner?
not yara hanging

Something that is perplexing, and maybe I just missed it... Seems to me that Bran Stark showing up at the wall is a pretty big deal, but nobody has tried to communicate that as of yet? Been lots of raven traffic recently, but nothing about that. Just seems odd.

Thought Jaime's "Dickon" comment was funny.

Curious to see if and how Jorah gets back in the fray, and what will come of Samwell when the Grand Maesters learn of his insubordination.

That was Nymeria. Arya saying "that's not you" meant that Nymeria isn't a domesticated wolf, just like Arya herself. If you remember back to season 1, Arya's mother, sister, nurses, and everyone else but Ned and Jon, told her she was to be a lady. They tried to teach her to sew and learn table manners. That wasn't her.
Much in the way Arya is going north to help her family, I think we see the wolves again.
Someone else watched the commentary after the episode.

Reactions: peacehawk
I look for small comments that are made each episode. During the Jon Snow debate, someone mentioned that Danys father burned Jons grandpa alive. Dany was told to be a dragon and not a sheep.

She is going to burn Jon alive next episode and that is when everyone will learn that he is her own blood. He won't burn.
Jon was burnt when he was fighting the wight at Castle Black, wasn't he?

Jon was burnt when he was fighting the wight at Castle Black, wasn't he?

Supposedly, Targaryens aren't immune to fire. When Daenery hatched the dragons they burnt the witch as a blood sacrifice. That magic left her unburnt. Killing all the Dothraki in the temple by burning it down with her in it didn't happen in the books.

Supposedly, Targaryens aren't immune to fire. When Daenery hatched the dragons they burnt the witch as a blood sacrifice. That magic left her unburnt. Killing all the Dothraki in the temple by burning it down with her in it didn't happen in the books.
^^^^ but it was AWESOME!

That was a sand snake hanging by her whip

It isn't a true story.

It isn't a true story.
You missed the point. While Euron and his ships aren't a deus ex machina, it just seems like they've grafted some crazy uber pirate and 1,000 ships onto a story line 6 seasons in the making and are blowing it up.

Just asking. Is it possible Bran reached out through the wolves looking for Arya?

Speaking of Bran, isn't he with the Nights watch now? How come he hasn't met up with Snow and Sansa? Before John left of course.
It's a long trip between Castle Black and Winterfell. Yes, a raven should have been sent, but now that winter has come, the trip has only gotten more dangerous. Granted it is still easier than traveling north of the wall.

The boat rowing guy will show up at the ens when everyone is dead and claim the throne.

Otherwise he's going to pick up Theon next week and join in The Fray early

Jorah will survive the greyscale, but I fear Sam will not.
I don't know about that. I think you're going to end up with only women, neutered men and weak men by the time this is all over. It fits hollywood perfectly

I don't know about that. I think you're going to end up with only women, neutered men and weak men by the time this is all over. It fits hollywood perfectly
Why? :rolleyes:
Jeebus, this a GoT thread. Flog yourself somewhere else, or are you that desperate for attention?

Someone at work mentioned Arya's dire wolf is named after a Dornish warrior princess. A name shared with one of the sand snakes that died last night.
I don't think that is anything other than a weird coincidence, right?

Yep. I do think Ned told her she would be a lady someday and Arya said "That's not me." Nymeria isn't going to just forgive and follow Arya. But I bet she shows up again to help her.

A few years ago, some folks built a replica of a Phoenician trade ship and sailed around Africa in 10 months. My impression is Westros is much smaller than Africa given how routine we see travelers making their way from kings landing up to the north and back. The inhabited part of Westros looks to be about the size of the US turned on its side. Big, but not year long journeys to get around.

0a5e023d9c8f9339513be9a80084cfe6.jpg
I thought somebody said Westeros is basically turning the UK upside down. Same size. So in that context it wouldn't take long at all to sail around it

I thought somebody said Westeros is basically turning the UK upside down. Same size. So in that context it wouldn't take long at all to sail around it
The internet says it's closer to the size of South America. But the top third is ice.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT