ADVERTISEMENT

The "OK" sign - where did it go wrong? Cubs fan banned

thewop

HR Legend
Jun 27, 2002
It's come to my attention that I'm not nearly as up to speed on how offensive the "OK" sign is these days. I saw where the cubs fan was banned, and after seeing the video, I think there's a good chance he did mean something less than honorable by it.

Where did the "OK" sign go wrong? What exactly does it mean now? Does it still mean "OK?"

I use the ok sign to say "3" as well because i find it easier than tucking the pinky and thumb. Is that OK?

Could someone explain for those of us on HROT who have fallen behind on our hand gestures? TIA

D6INaFNX4AAbwBt

I believe this was debunked on it ever being a WP sign for White Power.

The 3 fingers being the W and the circle with your arm being a P.

https://www.adl.org/education/references/hate-symbols/okay-hand-gesture

No it definitely is a white power symbol now. It started as a joke on 4chan in 2017 and like EVERYTHING about 4chan it quickly became hatefilled. Because the actual racists started to use it first “ironically” as in “Hahaha I’m really a white racist but I’m going to use this 4chan hoax/joke to troll the libs.” But even dumber, lower information white racists are now using it as an actual salute because they stupidly believe it to be a thing.

So the stupids have won out and now the ok symbol has been fully coopted by the Magas.

No it definitely is a white power symbol now. It started as a joke on 4chan in 2017 and like EVERYTHING about 4chan it quickly became hatefilled. Because the actual racists started to use it first “ironically” as in “Hahaha I’m really a white racist but I’m going to use this 4chan hoax/joke to troll the libs.” But even dumber, lower information white racists are now using it as an actual salute because they stupidly believe it to be a thing.

So the stupids have won out and now the ok symbol has been fully coopted by the Magas.
How absurd. I would not even think twice about using it in context of it meaning OK and still will.

It's definitely a white power symbol since 2017? Definitely?

All the ushers and ticket takers at Wrigley will have to memorize what he looks like, forever.

Banned for life from a venue is about as pointless as it gets.

Reactions: thewop
It's definitely a white power symbol since 2017? Definitely?

Not since 2017, in 2017 it was a 4chan joke/hoax. In 2018 white supremacists started using it “ironically” as a joke to troll libs usually in public settings. As in “Hahaha I’m only jokingly using this symbol that is a hoax to pull one over on the libs who think it’s real BUT you can’t really put me as a white supremacist because I’m “joking”.” By 2019 it had been used so often as a "joke" by white supremacists in the know about 4chan that the dumber low information versions of the white supremacists are just using it outright and unironically as a salute/means of identification.

Unfortunately I see it in my Facebook feed from distant in-law relations in Mississippi, Alabama, and Kansas and a couple of former law grads who stayed in Virginia. Usually with quotes about Trump, parasites, illegals, or Muslims.

It's even international now as the White supremacist who killed 50 New Zealand Muslims flashed it in court and these rightwing politicians in Estonia use it.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.ny...urope/ok-gesture-white-power-estonia.amp.html

Not since 2017, in 2017 it was a 4chan joke/hoax. In 2018 white supremacists started using it “ironically” as a joke to troll libs usually in public settings. As in “Hahaha I’m only jokingly using this symbol that is a hoax to pull one over on the libs who think it’s real BUT you can’t really put me as a white supremacist because I’m “joking”.” By 2019 it had been used so often as a "joke" by white supremacists in the know about 4chan that the dumber low information versions of the white supremacists are just using it outright and unironically as a salute/means of identification.

Unfortunately I see it in my Facebook feed from distant in-law relations in Mississippi, Alabama, and Kansas and a couple of former law grads who stayed in Virginia. Usually with quotes about Trump, parasites, illegals, or Muslims.

It's even international now as the White supremacist who killed 50 New Zealand Muslims flashed it in court and these rightwing politicians in Estonia use it.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.ny...urope/ok-gesture-white-power-estonia.amp.html

You cant be serious...

I guess here's what concerns me. If I'm coaching a tee ball game, and the other team's coach is communicating something with me from across the field, like "hey this is our last batter" and I give him the "OK" sign to acknowledge I hear him. Meanwhile some parent with an agenda is taking video, takes a screengrab of me making the "OK" sign, turns it black and white, and now I'm a white supremacist on Facebook. I'll work on my "thumbs up" to mean "ok" I guess.

That said, I'm ok with what the Cubs did, but am curious what the man would say if they actually talked to him. What if he said: "Now I get to punch the whole world in the shoulder."

Circle game?
IWaa5Bx.gif

kEeMYMq.gif

I taught my 3 year old son that hand gesture because he wasn’t able to hold up 3 middle fingers well to tell people his age. I call it a “baseball 3” because that’s how baseball catchers signal the 3. I’ll probably get a letter from his preschool. :(

I guess here's what concerns me. If I'm coaching a tee ball game, and the other team's coach is communicating something with me from across the field, like "hey this is our last batter" and I give him the "OK" sign to acknowledge I hear him. Meanwhile some parent with an agenda is taking video, takes a screengrab of me making the "OK" sign, turns it black and white, and now I'm a white supremacist on Facebook. I'll work on my "thumbs up" to mean "ok" I guess.

Nope, that just means you give your consent for the slaves (aka tee ball players) permission to live and battle again. Why are you so pro slave?

Reactions: unIowa

"The Day the Stupids Won the OK".. lollll!

The only people who get beat by the Stupids are people who let them win.

The Stupids are given a voice by people like you! .. submissive chickenshit.

Basketball players are using it at an alarming rate. Need to start banning players that use it at any level. Let's start with the NBA. It starts at the top and we cant have these "role models" flashing the white power symbol plain as day.
It's not the traditional "okay" symbol per se. It's when it's shown upside down that some seem to believe it's a 'white power' symbol. I'm not saying I agree; just what's been reported.

vhfyx6tt5vza4cl6ozxv.jpg

And the media ran with it just like the guys at 4chan new they would. What's next, the thumbs up sign?

It's not the traditional "okay" symbol per se. It's when it's shown upside down that some seem to believe it's a 'white power' symbol. I'm not saying I agree; just what's been reported.

vhfyx6tt5vza4cl6ozxv.jpg

If his buddies play fair, this dude got to work over some shoulders all across town.

Or he got a stand O at the following clan rally.

That said, I'm ok with what the Cubs did, but am curious what the man would say if they actually talked to him. What if he said: "Now I get to punch the whole world in the shoulder."
You gonna get doxxed for flashing those WP signs brah.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT