ADVERTISEMENT

The Outsider

I saw it also, I really enjoyed it. Main complaint was that I didn't totally love the disjointed way they showed the discovery/investigation of the dead kid and arrest of the Jason Bateman character.

Reactions: m.stoops2013
I saw it also, I really enjoyed it. Main complaint was that I didn't totally love the disjointed way they showed the discovery/investigation of the dead kid and arrest of the Jason Bateman character.

200.webp

I missed the first episode. But, I read the book and it was really good. Excited to catch this show.

Really like the first two episodes. Just watched them back to back tonight. Wish it wasn’t HBO, but then we’d probably binge watch it all night.

3rd episode was great, wish we could watch it all at once. The private detective from Chicago is a trip.

Reactions: FAUlty Gator
Yeah...wondering about the Jack stuff with the neck. I’m sure it ties in with the “cut” Terry got in Dayton but have no idea how it’s all gonna come together. Never read or heard the story so it’s all fresh to me which is awesome.

Reactions: JupiterHawk
Yeah...wondering about the Jack stuff with the neck. I’m sure it ties in with the “cut” Terry got in Dayton but have no idea how it’s all gonna come together. Never read or heard the story so it’s all fresh to me which is awesome.

I am guessing it is something people get infected with. Wondering what the cop that has it on his neck is going to do.

The scene with Terry getting scratched in the barn is the only part of the show that bothers me. He mentions he knows it's an hour drive to this barn and he complains that nobody will be there. So why didn't he call ahead, let them know he was coming and to please keep an officer onsite until he gets there to keep the crime scene secure?

Still could have had whatever this thing is get him in the barn somehow, but it's a plot hole to me that didn't need to be there.

The scene with Terry getting scratched in the barn is the only part of the show that bothers me. He mentions he knows it's an hour drive to this barn and he complains that nobody will be there. So why didn't he call ahead, let them know he was coming and to please keep an officer onsite until he gets there to keep the crime scene secure?

Still could have had whatever this thing is get him in the barn somehow, but it's a plot hole to me that didn't need to be there.
I think the thing gets who it wants when it wants so not sure it really mattered...

Reactions: sober_teacher
I think the thing gets who it wants when it wants so not sure it really mattered...

Agreed, it doesn't matter in the long run. It just bugs me in a show that's done a great job of detailing how Mendelsohn's character or that PI from Chicago have been so thorough with their investigations that this breakdown happened.

Just a pet peeve that I have from various other cop dramas I've seen that show massive plot holes or devices that are used to advance the plot, but are also totally against what cops would do in real life. For network TV I can shrug that aside because I accept that the quality is not as good. HBO shows (the good ones) are generally so much better in terms of quality from top to bottom that something as simple as this gets through.

My wife (no pic) saw the end of last episode as a cliffhanger in that she might catch the dead. I didn’t think that at all but now I’m not sure. It made it seem like she was being watched by it. I gotta think her special abilities make her invulnerable to it maybe. Like Wynona Ryder in Beatlejuice.

Because he’s a lazy douche that’s bad at his job. That’s why he spends so much of his time drinking at the strip club while on the clock.

He was getting scratched? I need to watch that scene again.

Because he’s a lazy douche that’s bad at his job. That’s why he spends so much of his time drinking at the strip club while on the clock.
Exactly, I was surprised the poster thought it was a plot hole. They have gone to great lengths building his character to show he is an insufferable arsehole (getting mad at murder call while hunting, drunk fight at strip club, calling stripper a whale, making fun of the baby and mom in the delivery room, making fun of cop that shot the boy, and on and on. It's not even remotely out of character for him to drink beer instead of going to a crime scene ran by the Staties where he is second fiddle and just an afterthought.

Reactions: BelemNole
My wife (no pic) saw the end of last episode as a cliffhanger in that she might catch the dead. I didn’t think that at all but now I’m not sure. It made it seem like she was being watched by it. I gotta think her special abilities make her invulnerable to it maybe. Like Wynona Ryder in Beatlejuice.
Wait wut? You think Holly Gibney is next (the black autistic detective)? I mustv'e missed the part at the end, what happened to make you think that?

Wait wut? You think Holly Gibney is next (the black autistic detective)? I mustv'e missed the part at the end, what happened to make you think that?

No. But when she was looking up Cuko (Boogeyman) they made it look like there was a presence in the room with her. Then she went under the water and it faded out.

I don't think there's much to it, but am not totally sure.

Reactions: PoopandBoogers
Exactly, I was surprised the poster thought it was a plot hole. They have gone to great lengths building his character to show he is an insufferable arsehole (getting mad at murder call while hunting, drunk fight at strip club, calling stripper a whale, making fun of the baby and mom in the delivery room, making fun of cop that shot the boy, and on and on. It's not even remotely out of character for him to drink beer instead of going to a crime scene ran by the Staties where he is second fiddle and just an afterthought.

Plot hole might be the wrong thing to call it. I would argue tho, that just because he's clearly a jerk, that doesn't necessarily mean he's incompetent - he does, after all, seem to be an accomplished hunter, or at least knows what he's doing.

It just feels like lazy writing at least to me that there wasn't someone waiting at the barn for him. Having a cop there to secure the scene doesn't preclude the Big Bad from getting to him in the barn regardless. Hopefully that makes sense - I promise I'm not trying to hate on the show :)

And I fully admit to picking at nits here. It's a reflection of how well-done this show has been so far. Everything that's happened has been logically consistent, except for this one small thing. Overall I just really enjoy it because how lazy your typical crime show on a network station often is.

Plot hole might be the wrong thing to call it. I would argue tho, that just because he's clearly a jerk, that doesn't necessarily mean he's incompetent - he does, after all, seem to be an accomplished hunter, or at least knows what he's doing.

It just feels like lazy writing at least to me that there wasn't someone waiting at the barn for him. Having a cop there to secure the scene doesn't preclude the Big Bad from getting to him in the barn regardless. Hopefully that makes sense - I promise I'm not trying to hate on the show :)

And I fully admit to picking at nits here. It's a reflection of how well-done this show has been so far. Everything that's happened has been logically consistent, except for this one small thing. Overall I just really enjoy it because how lazy your typical crime show on a network station often is.
Well I agree with you on one point and that is King's propensity for some lazy writing, even though I think the drunk cop barn scene fits his character. I'm a King fan, but what worries me and has been a glaring problem for him in the past, is that his endings suck. Many times he resorts to deus ex tropes after building these huge, awesome worlds and characters. Haven't read this book, so I'm hoping this one is different.

Ok, I'm adding this to my watch list. I watch very few series, so it has to be good if I'm going to watch.

Well I agree with you on one point and that is King's propensity for some lazy writing, even though I think the drunk cop barn scene fits his character. I'm a King fan, but what worries me and has been a glaring problem for him in the past, is that his endings suck. Many times he resorts to deus ex tropes after building these huge, awesome worlds and characters. Haven't read this book, so I'm hoping this one is different.

I've only read the first Dark Tower book of his - just couldn't get into the book enough to enjoy it. I'm hoping that HBO will have enough influence that they can improve on the ending, whatever it is.

That barn scene is admittedly a small flaw and doesn't really detract from the rest of the show to date. It just stands out a bit to me because the rest of it has fit together so much well. No leaps in logic, no lucky guesses, just methodically following the evidence.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT