ADVERTISEMENT

The People vs the NRA

Somewhere, Oliver North is chuckling while contacting his lawyer.

And replied to this thread, since it originated mere seconds before the other one.

Reactions: 3 and Out on D
WOW, they are taking our guns commercials being made right now!
Terrible politics before a national election.

Republican Senators going to use this to keep the Senate!

Reactions: Hammer93
Thinly disguised attack on 2nd amendment

If fraud was her concern she would move to dissolve Cuomo administration

Reactions: B1G
I'm telling you that dissolving the NRA is only going to make things worse in the long run. Punish the leaders for their crimes.

But get rid of the NRA and the gun rights people are going to rush over to organizations that believe that people should be able to buy fully automatic weapons with no background check.

She's crazy if she thinks she is helping the party. This is going to stir up conservatives to get to the voting booth like nothing else she could have done. Attack Trump if you want (who cares), but file a suit to end gun ownership (that's how it will be touted by Republicans) and you are messing with something that will really spark turnout to defend personal rights.

Reactions: B1G
She's crazy if she thinks she is helping the party. This is going to stir up conservatives to get to the voting booth like nothing else she could have done. Attack Trump if you want (who cares), but file a suit to end gun ownership (that's how it will be touted by Republicans) and you are messing with something that will really spark turnout to defend personal rights.
Legal Gun purchases by African Americans is up 58%, the largest of any group. WSJ today.
Law abiding folks who are fearful of defunding police are buying guns and doing so legally.

I don't think this is helpful to the Dems.

Legal Gun purchases by African Americans is up 58%, the largest of any group. WSJ today.
Law abiding folks who are fearful of defunding police are buying guns and doing so legally.

I don't think this is helpful to the Dems.
This is awesome for the Dems. This all but kills the NRA's grip on Washington. And don't kid yourself that this will spur on votes. Cons have abandoned the NRA. They did long before this lawsuit.

This is awesome for the Dems. This all but kills the NRA's grip on Washington. And don't kid yourself that this will spur on votes. Cons have abandoned the NRA. They did long before this lawsuit.

Sorry..... you are wrong. She just assured the NRA of a new membership increases and a huge influx of money for the cause. I've been out of the organization for 10 years and I will rejoin for sure now. The normal person who just wants to hunt and protect their property is now going to have no choice but to join the fight. There's really no other choice but the NRA to fight the battle for gun ownership. She's an idiot.

Sorry..... you are wrong. She just assured the NRA of a new membership increases and a huge influx of money for the cause. I've been out of the organization for 10 years and I will rejoin for sure now. The normal person who just wants to hunt and protect their property is now going to have no choice but to join the fight. There's really no other choice but the NRA to fight the battle for gun ownership. She's an idiot.

So you're going to give more money to an organization that misuses it? You'll show us!

So you're going to give more money to an organization that misuses it? You'll show us!

First off.....it's currently an accusation. Secondly, they are the only avenue to protect our rights. Easy decision for me.

First off.....it's currently an accusation. Secondly, they are the only avenue to protect our rights. Easy decision for me.

Last I checked the NRA doesn't protect anyones right to bear arms, the second amendment of the Constitution does. But go ahead, it's your money. The NRA is happy to have supporters like you.

So, the NRA then?

NRA isn't quite that bad. Like I said go check out "Gun owners of America"

NRA at least plays some lip service to gun safety. Gun owners of America is literally passing out pamphlets telling gun owners they need to have their gun cocked, chambered and in reach at all times. . . telling them specifically to NOT lock up their firearms.

One of the biggest causes of accidental gun deaths is unsecured fire arms. In a lot of mass shootings children or young adults got unsecured firearms from their parents home.

One of the groups that stands to gain from the NRA's demise is a group that campaigns against gun safety.

Last I checked the NRA doesn't protect anyones right to bear arms, the second amendment of the Constitution does. But go ahead, it's your money. The NRA is happy to have supporters like you.
Over 300 million firearms in the public sphere. Yeah the right to own a gun is in danger.

Reactions: gohawks50

So where does it say getting rid of the NRA ends gun ownership rights? I'll listen off the air.

Reactions: tumorboy

giphy.gif

Reactions: tumorboy
So where does it say getting rid of the NRA ends gun ownership rights? I'll listen off the air.

Nothing says anything is certain. That said, historically the NRA has been the most vocal and most involved in protecting those rights. I appreciate your posts and you too much to argue with you on the topic ;)

Reactions: jasonrann
I was just on Reddit Conservative. They don't seem to share your sentiments. Some are think the accusations are true, others are doubtful. But the general tone is that they are distancing themselves from the NRA.

Granted, this is reddit. Do with this information what you like. But that particular subreddit is rabidly Republican. The NRA has been on its last legs for a while now. And what I know about Republicans is that they don't like losers.

Nothing says anything is certain. That said, historically the NRA has been the most vocal and most involved in protecting those rights. I appreciate your posts and you too much to argue with you on the topic ;)
If the NRA was at peak power, I would agree that New York was in for a doozy of a backlash. But the NRA is like Jeb Bush right now. They haven't been a player for a while now and are nearly dead in the water.

Honestly, I'm asking because I don't have a fuggin clue. You'd be educating me. I grew up in a family that owned guns, we were/are respectful hunters, I'm not against gun ownership. I just don't know a damn thing about what the NRA actually brings to the table. Not trying to be argumentative.

I was just on Reddit Conservative. They don't seem to share your sentiments. Some are think the accusations are true, others are doubtful. But the general tone is that they are distancing themselves from the NRA.

Granted, this is reddit. Do with this information what you like. But that particular subreddit is rabidly Republican. The NRA has been on its last legs for a while now. And what I know about Republicans is that they don't like losers.

Hey, you may be right. I guess we'll see how this is played in the media and in the Republican Party. I would say this is going to be played strongly by the Republican Party and get a very large reaction. Let's wait and see for the next week or two and see who is correct. Personally, I see it as another attempt to take down the gun rights agenda and limit/eliminate my rights to attain and possess a firearm. Again, that's just my opinion. I know there are people out there who don't share that stance.

Hey, you may be right. I guess we'll see how this is played in the media and in the Republican Party. I would say this is going to be played strongly by the Republican Party and get a very large reaction. Let's wait and see for the next week or two and see who is correct. Personally, I see it as another attempt to take down the gun rights agenda and limit/eliminate my rights to attain and possess a firearm. Again, that's just my opinion. I know there are people out there who don't share that stance.
One thing Republicans don't tolerate is weakness. The NRA is weak. Their money is gone. Membership flagging. Power evaporated away. Rs smell blood in the water. They are not going move heaven and earth to help this wounded animal. They will shun the NRA. Pretend they never knew them.

I'm hoping when Biden is elected... he puts Beto in charge of confiscating the semi auto weapons in this country owned by private individuals.

You will never convince me that a private citizen needs those kinds of guns. And Merica needs to make sure the kits to make a weapon a semi auto are also gone.

JMO

It’s odd to me that almost everyone assumes she cares about the political ramifications.
I agree. Isn't it possible that the breadth and the depth of this decades-long *alleged* fraud are so great that this is being done to punish the leaders that were enriching themselves off the NRA's revenues, and also protect those that belong to, and donate to, the NRA?

If you've belonged to, and donated to, the NRA, shouldn't you be upset that they've been stealing your money all this time, rather than using it for what you thought it was supposed to go to**? Should you want those responsible punished? And shouldn't you want the organization punished for allowing this to go on for so long? This wasn't one guy fabricating some invoices - it was *allegedly* decades of fraud perpetrated by a group of people, who all got rich off donors. They didn't care if those donors were Rs or Ds - they stole from everyone. So, why should we now assume it's a purely political move?

**I think the NRA exists mostly to lobby for and protect gun manufacturers more than gun owners, but that's a separate issue.

I will never understand the right wing of America's love of being willfully stolen from by the people they support. It boggles the mind.

Reactions: BioHawk
I agree. Isn't it possible that the breadth and the depth of this decades-long *alleged* fraud are so great that this is being done to punish the leaders that were enriching themselves off the NRA's revenues, and also protect those that belong to, and donate to, the NRA?

If you've belonged to, and donated to, the NRA, shouldn't you be upset that they've been stealing your money all this time, rather than using it for what you thought it was supposed to go to**? Should you want those responsible punished? And shouldn't you want the organization punished for allowing this to go on for so long? This wasn't one guy fabricating some invoices - it was *allegedly* decades of fraud perpetrated by a group of people, who all got rich off donors. They didn't care if those donors were Rs or Ds - they stole from everyone. So, why should we now assume it's a purely political move?

**I think the NRA exists mostly to lobby for and protect gun manufacturers more than gun owners, but that's a separate issue.
C9fQhuy.gif

I will never understand the right wing of America's love of being willfully stolen from by the people they support. It boggles the mind.

To be fair, the NRA has been used more to launder russian money lately than anything else.

Sometime in the 70s I realized that this was a propaganda machine for gun and ammunition manufacturers and dropped my membership. I wonder if I could get in on a class action lawsuit.

ADVERTISEMENT