ADVERTISEMENT

The Pope is taking a trip....

LuciousBDragon

HR Legend
Gold Member
Aug 31, 2017
The American Southwest
....to Iraq! Surprised this is not getting more press.

The NYT, WaPo, NBC all have articles on their website however the details mainly pertain to risk of coronavirus spread. I am frankly shocked that they are down playing the security risk to himself. Northern Iraq is about the most unfriendly playground the world has today. The Turks are pushing south into Iraq and no one is covering it. Erdogan’s agenda is crazy enough to pull a stunt in Erbil this weekend.

I applaud Francis for doing what the previous two Pope’s could not pull off, a trip to Iraq to pay homage to the Christians who have been persecuted in the region the last two decades. The Kurds could use some healing and hope.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/worl...a237a4-7aaa-11eb-8c5e-32e47b42b51b_story.html

Reactions: mthawkeyes and Torg
Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan vowed on Tuesday to expand cross-border operations against Kurdish militants in northern Iraq, following the killing of 13 Turkish soldiers, police and civilians who had been abducted by Kurdish insurgents.

In a speech to his ruling party's supporters, Erdogan also said that the killings have strengthened Turkey's will to form a secure zone along its border in northern Iraq to protect Turkey's frontiers from the outlawed Kurdistan Workers' Party, or PKK.

The bodies of the 13 victims were discovered in a cave complex in northern Iraq's Gara region, near the Turkish border, during an operation against the PKK, launched on Feb. 10, that had aimed to free the hostages.

Officials said 12 of the victims were shot in the head and one died of a shoulder bullet wound. The hostages had been kidnapped inside Turkey in 2015 and 2016.

So we're maintaining our invasion of Syria and Iraq to protect the Kurds who are in a decades long war / terrorist / insurgency with our NATO ally Turkey?
Can someone remind me why we need to be in this conflict?

Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan vowed on Tuesday to expand cross-border operations against Kurdish militants in northern Iraq, following the killing of 13 Turkish soldiers, police and civilians who had been abducted by Kurdish insurgents.

In a speech to his ruling party's supporters, Erdogan also said that the killings have strengthened Turkey's will to form a secure zone along its border in northern Iraq to protect Turkey's frontiers from the outlawed Kurdistan Workers' Party, or PKK.

The bodies of the 13 victims were discovered in a cave complex in northern Iraq's Gara region, near the Turkish border, during an operation against the PKK, launched on Feb. 10, that had aimed to free the hostages.

Officials said 12 of the victims were shot in the head and one died of a shoulder bullet wound. The hostages had been kidnapped inside Turkey in 2015 and 2016.

So we're maintaining our invasion of Syria and Iraq to protect the Kurds who are in a decades long war / terrorist / insurgency with our NATO ally Turkey?
Can someone remind me why we need to be in this conflict?
Because Turkey is the aggressor and is pushing south into Iraqi land. Baghdad doesn’t care about the Kurds so they don’t care. It is not a border skirmish, it is an invasion.

So that’s how they’re covering up the Pope’s arrest.

aVOSkIC.gif

Reactions: Torg
Because Turkey is the aggressor and is pushing south into Iraqi land. Baghdad doesn’t care about the Kurds so they don’t care. It is not a border skirmish, it is an invasion.

We invaded Afghanistan chasing terrorists 20 years ago and haven’t left.
Is Turkey not allowed to do the same?

These terrorists kidnapped and murdered civilians.

Why should we be in this fight?

We invaded Afghanistan chasing terrorists 20 years ago and haven’t left.
Is Turkey not allowed to do the same?

These terrorists kidnapped and murdered civilians.

Why should we be in this fight?
The PKK is the workers party for the Kurds. They are playing defense. I’m skeptical of anything the Erdogan regime is saying on the matter.

Should we be in the fight. I say yes. Religious persecution is happening and no one else is willing to help. Will that happen? We may continue to do a little to assist but not nearly enough. Helping the Kurds means fighting Turkey ultimately. That is why we won’t.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT