ADVERTISEMENT

The Post's View Opinion The Supreme Court’s next move might cripple our democracy

cigaretteman

HR King
May 29, 2001
By the Editorial Board
July 5, 2022 at 1:50 p.m. EDT
The Supreme Court agreed last week to hear a case that could fundamentally change this country’s democracy — by making it less of one.
The decision to hear Moore v. Harper could lead to an erosion of voting rights and an increasing likelihood of election interference. At issue is a North Carolina Supreme Court case holding that the state’s constitution precludes severe partisan gerrymanders; the argument the petitioners make is that state courts shouldn’t have any role in overruling federal election rules put into place by state legislatures. This so-called independent state legislature theory has found little sympathy from scholars but appears to have garnered more affection from the current slate of conservative justices — four of whom have suggested they are at least willing to entertain the idea. The consequences of such a ruling would be tremendous.
The Republican-appointed Supreme Court majority would complete a nasty bait-and-switch by neutering state courts when it comes to elections: Chief Justice John G. Roberts Jr. wrote in a 5-to-4 decision three years ago that federal courts could do nothing to prevent the same sort of extreme gerrymander. But never fear, he insisted, state courts could step in to protect citizens’ rights. Now, it seems he and his colleagues on the right, with Justice Amy Coney Barrett a possible swing vote, are poised to go back on that promise. This would mean that state legislatures — their own makeup the result of heavy gerrymandering — could contort congressional districts at will to ensure one party has the advantage, playing with how much every individual’s vote really counts. Other harms abound.
ADVERTISING
Should the Supreme Court buy into this radical doctrine, governors and other state and local officials responsible for running elections might also end up with their hands tied. That could lead to chaos if legislatures set burdensome rules for voting in federal contests that conflict with less restrictive rules for state contests. It could also create manifold opportunities for mischief of the sort then-President Donald Trump and his allies attempted in 2020: Legislatures might remain restrained from deciding to ignore the popular vote and appoint their own slates of electors after the fact of a lost presidential race, but they could plausibly pass laws ahead of time establishing a process that allows them to do just that.
The reforms to the Electoral Count Act under negotiation on Capitol Hill could go some of the way toward mitigating the danger, and lawmakers should pursue those changes — but any law’s impact will be limited, and this development also risks snarling talks. Our democracy’s path rests mostly with the Supreme Court. If five justices overturn the North Carolina decision, they will know what they are doing, which is writing a recipe for election tampering. They will also know why they are doing it: not because the Constitution demands it, but because they can.

While I think the single state legislature theory is complete bs in that state legislatures always operate in the context of their own constitutions, this is hardly the stuff of crippling our democracy republic.

First, federal courts continue to be available. Second, most states’ procedures are already legislature-dominant, and by and large the commission-dominant ones relate to seats where democrats control the legislatures. Third, the only cases that state courts can hear uniquely are state law issues. Most state standards relate to factors that may already reflect federal constitutional interests under baker v carr. Fourth, in holding that there is no federal restriction on partisan gerrymandering, the court specifically noted (favorably) that many states were addressing the issue.

While I think the single state legislature theory is complete bs in that state legislatures always operate in the context of their own constitutions, this is hardly the stuff of crippling our democracy republic.

First, federal courts continue to be available. Second, most states’ procedures are already legislature-dominant, and by and large the commission-dominant ones relate to seats where democrats control the legislatures. Third, the only cases that state courts can hear uniquely are state law issues. Most state standards relate to factors that may already reflect federal constitutional interests under baker v carr. Fourth, in holding that there is no federal restriction on partisan gerrymandering, the court specifically noted (favorably) that many states were addressing the issue.
I would like to have as much faith in people and systems as you do, but I don't. The court is taking cases for reasons, and in my view they are taking cases designed to scratch long standing right wing, politically motivated, grievances. I fully admit I am not making a legal theory argument. I'm telling you I think we have five people who want to watch stuff burn because that's what their Federalist instincts are. They are not attached to the reality that most Americans live with. It's oak paneled law school conference room and think tank theory to them. In state after state there is a push to restrict voting, and to make votes less impactful. I'd like to think state courts are an answer, too, but we see state courts becoming more politicized. It is certainly happening in Iowa where the right got so incensed by the ruling over gay marriage that who gets appointed to judgeships became much more politicized, and all about where candidates stand on social issues, versus legal aptitude.

I would like to have as much faith in people and systems as you do, but I don't. The court is taking cases for reasons, and in my view they are taking cases designed to scratch long standing right wing, politically motivated, grievances. I fully admit I am not making a legal theory argument. I'm telling you I think we have five people who want to watch stuff burn because that's what their Federalist instincts are. They are not attached to the reality that most Americans live with. It's oak paneled law school conference room and think tank theory to them. In state after state there is a push to restrict voting, and to make votes less impactful. I'd like to think state courts are an answer, too, but we see state courts becoming more politicized. It is certainly happening in Iowa where the right got so incensed by the ruling over gay marriage that who gets appointed to judgeships became much more politicized, and all about where candidates stand on social issues, versus legal aptitude.
As i have noted elsewhere, i too have issues with the case selection process these days (though all courts have done that) and in particular a seeming increase in the feedback loop that exists with so called legal think-tanks which is producing cases that have a disturbingly "astroturf" feel to them. But with that said, yes, as to the cases they are taking, they are in fact acting consistently with a coherent legal theory rather than on the basis of naked outcomes. And not "to watch stuff burn" - particularly inasmuch as their personal residences would seem to be fairly high on that particular target list.

As for me, it's not so much that I have faith in people, but that I have no more faith in 9 unelected ones than I do in 535 elected ones, and I know I can at least do something about the latter. That's why the prodemocratic theme this term is so important.

Step two in the Aardvark political health program is to acknowledge that your opponents are acting out of sincere, positive motivations and beliefs.

As to state courts, they'll continue to have their role (I'll predict at least 6-3), though I do note the double (historical) irony here (traditionally central government left invoking state remedies to preserve voting rights, and traditionally federalist right seeking to limit state court jurisdiction for such). As to the makeup of state courts, if there's one thing I've learned, there really is no such thing as "apolitical" selection processes (though some may be less than others), no matter how many commissions and boards are set up.

Reactions: lucas80
As i have noted elsewhere, i too have issues with the case selection process these days (though all courts have done that) and in particular a seeming increase in the feedback loop that exists with so called legal think-tanks which is producing cases that have a disturbingly "astroturf" feel to them. But with that said, yes, as to the cases they are taking, they are in fact acting consistently with a coherent legal theory rather than on the basis of naked outcomes. And not "to watch stuff burn" - particularly inasmuch as their personal residences would seem to be fairly high on that particular target list.

Step two in the Aardvark political health program is to acknowledge that your opponents are acting out of sincere, positive motivations and beliefs.

As to state courts, they'll continue to have their role (I'll predict at least 6-3), though I do note the double (historical) irony here (traditionally central government left invoking state remedies to preserve voting rights, and traditionally federalist right seeking to limit state court jurisdiction for such). As to the makeup of state courts, if there's one thing I've learned, there really is no such thing as "apolitical" selection processes (though some may be less than others), no matter how many commissions and boards are set up.
This is an excellent, well thought out post. Sadly, and please point this out in 2024 if I am wrong, it doesn’t mean at all what the Republican party, backed up by these Federalist Society justices won’t be doing…making sure our votes, in red states, no longer count. They are all long gaming the end of the republic. White Christian Authoritarianism. That’s what’s coming. That was the plan. Again, please tell me in 3 years how wrong this post was.

White Christian Authoritarianism. That’s what’s coming. That was the plan. Again, please tell me in 3 years how wrong this post was.
buckwheat-otay.gif

It's more of an example of RWers wanting to "fix" something that isn't broken. We've seen a lot of that in response to the outcome of the 2020 presidential election.
Oh but it was broken. You just liked the things that were broken

This is an excellent, well thought out post. Sadly, and please point this out in 2024 if I am wrong, it doesn’t mean at all what the Republican party, backed up by these Federalist Society justices won’t be doing…making sure our votes, in red states, no longer count. They are all long gaming the end of the republic. White Christian Authoritarianism. That’s what’s coming. That was the plan. Again, please tell me in 3 years how wrong this post was.
The Dumocrats love Democracy so much they want non-citizens to vote in our elections.

Now that's a party that LOVES them some Democracy! Anyway they can get it. LOL!

The Dumocrats love Democracy so much they want non-citizens to vote in our elections.

Now that's a party that LOVES them some Democracy! Anyway they can get it. LOL!
You’re not helping

Tom, I hear your frustration and this poll says you’re not alone.

But consider the danger of a society that believes in nothing. You gotta start somewhere, and there’s plenty of room under the tent.

How long has it been since you've had your tin foil hat sized? It appears it may be getting small, maybe it's time to get a new one.:rolleyes:

As for me, it's not so much that I have faith in people, but that I have no more faith in 9 unelected ones than I do in 535 elected ones, and I know I can at least do something about the latter. That's why the prodemocratic theme this term is so important.

I appreciate your response. My main quibble is that the SCOTUS selection process is so politicized. Mitch and Chuck stole a seat from Barack Obama, then they ignored the precedent they created in order to give McGahn/Cipollone a third pick. And, even before that the process had become increasingly polarizing. Just my opinion, but when getting confirmed to the SCOTUS became entirely about how you would eventually vote on Roe the slide of the court's legitimacy began.

I appreciate your response. My main quibble is that the SCOTUS selection process is so politicized. Mitch and Chuck stole a seat from Barack Obama, then they ignored the precedent they created in order to give McGahn/Cipollone a third pick. And, even before that the process had become increasingly polarizing. Just my opinion, but when getting confirmed to the SCOTUS became entirely about how you would eventually vote on Roe the slide of the court's legitimacy began.
No doubt that Garland was unfairly treated. I mean really unfairly. But there are times when politics are profoundly unfair. McConnell took a huge political risk and "won"...at least in the short term. But this is one that will stick in the craw for a loooong time I suspect, and politics always turns out to be a long game.

Dems are getting hysterical. This is another example when SCOTUS returning state matters to elected state officials is somehow a threat to democracy.
Where the corrupt legislature can send electors to do their bidding ignoring the will of the people. That's precisely what will happen.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT