ADVERTISEMENT

The problem with giving an extra year

hawkeyesx6

Rookie
Oct 21, 2010
If you do it in wrestling......and I think they should......the NCAA would have to do it in basketball, baseball and softball, track.....everything else that is going to get cancelled. That completely throws off scholarship numbers for incoming recruiting classes etc.

If you do it in wrestling......and I think they should......the NCAA would have to do it in basketball, baseball and softball, track.....everything else that is going to get cancelled. That completely throws off scholarship numbers for incoming recruiting classes etc.

If only the NCAA knew someone who had the authority to change the current rules and policies.

The NCAA is giving all NCAA Qualifiers the extra year.... and, those granted the extra year will not count against current scholarship rules... example: Lugo comes back next year and his current scholarship amount stays intact and does not count against the 9.9.

Last edited:
The NCAA is giving all NCAA Qualifiers the extra year.... and, those granted the extra year will not count against current scholarship rules... example: Lugo comes back next year and his current scholarship amount stays intact and dies not count against the 9.9.

Good to hear. Still feel awful for those who may not want another year in college but at least it gives them the option.

Reactions: el dub and TarpHawk
The problem
Is, this was the one year some kid would have won it or another kid AA just due to all the pieces in the puzzle being in place/injury, or the return of Fix, Suriano, Micic, Yianni etc.
The good thing is, the extra year does not apply to Zahid V. He is done...

Reactions: Exo and WWDMHawkeye
  1. If a extra year can't Lee say it is his jr year and then win his 3rd and have his senior year left to go .

Reactions: el dub
That’s not a problem for me at all. I love wrestling and don’t given a sh$& about basketball

The NCAA is giving all NCAA Qualifiers the extra year.... and, those granted the extra year will not count against current scholarship rules... example: Lugo comes back next year and his current scholarship amount stays intact and does not count against the 9.9.
Now there's an issue with overlapping Lugo and Eierman.:oops:

That would be awesome. While they’re at it, can Metcalf and his VT crew get another year, too?

Wrestlers don't need an extra year, just a tournament. When COVID lets up this, they could hold a pre-season tournament at any venue that could hold eight mats. Who wouldn't want to take part in that? You wouldn't need cameras or stands, just a free weekend. Hell, they could do it at Fargo.

Last edited:
How many guys come back even if they do offer another year up? Some may want to just move on with their life. Do you still have to take classes if you have already graduated to wrestle another year? Lots of new territory to deal with. Where we go from here is really anyone's guess. Right now I'm an odd combination of pissed, bummed, and confused on what is going to happen moving forward. Time will tell I guess. Gunna be a long off season this year!

It would also be the biggest free agency since LeBron in 2010. All those grsduates looking for a new home.

Reactions: Kwoodhawk
The NCAA needs to figure out a way to hold the tournament. So many problems with just giving kids an extra year. I can even image what happens if they cancel the Olympics too.

Then what happens to kids on Olympic Red shirts years?

The NCAA needs to figure out a way to hold the tournament. So many problems with just giving kids an extra year. I can even image what happens if they cancel the Olympics too.

Then what happens to kids on Olympic Red shirts years?
They would continue on as originally planned, or if Olympics are delayed a year, they could continue with Olympic Refshirt, but that is speculation.

Reactions: ThatsStalling
Wrestlers don't need an extra year, just a tournament. When COVID lets up this, they could hold a pre-season tournament at any venue that could hold eight mats. Who wouldn't want to take part in that? You wouldn't need cameras or stands, just a free weekend. Hell, they could do it at Fargo.
That would be great. They would need time to train and make weight though.

Source?
Now is not a good time to be laying things out as facts... unless they are in deed facts.

It's wild speculation/half truths/people relying on the internet to educate them that contributed to this.

It's still raw to those most affected and they don't need to be yo-yo'd while adjusting to this new reality.
Surreal

That would be great. They would need time to train and make weight though.
Sure, there would be obstacles, but nothing that couldn't be fixed. Logistically, it would be doable. You could use ten different sites -- one for each weight class. Just thinkin outside the box here.

Reactions: sdvike
Sure, there would be obstacles, but nothing that couldn't be fixed. Logistically, it would be doable. You could use ten different sites -- one for each weight class. Just thinkin outside the box here.
25 Lee is champion, no match needed.
33 Got to have a 8 man bracket to sort this out.
41 Pletcher vs Lee
49 Lugo vs Kolo but really Sasso better match but too boring.
57 Deakin champion, no match needed.
65 Bull v Cenzo 2 out of 3 because its so much fun to watch
74 Kem vs Hall
84 Who cares?
97 Moore champion, no match needed.
Hwt Gabler Stebersin champion, no match needed.

May happen but if so will set up consistency problems with how to handle sports which have not advanced to NCAA qualification I. E. Basketball and all the spring season sports. No matter how they address the issue someone will lose an opportunity. Either the few seniors who may want the extra year or the many incoming freshmen facing fewer open slots to compete next year.

How many guys come back even if they do offer another year up? Some may want to just move on with their life. Do you still have to take classes if you have already graduated to wrestle another year? Lots of new territory to deal with. Where we go from here is really anyone's guess. Right now I'm an odd combination of pissed, bummed, and confused on what is going to happen moving forward. Time will tell I guess. Gunna be a long off season this year!
That's why the NCAA f***ed up by not simply postponing everything indefinitely, with the option to reconvene at a later date to see if a plan could be made to make sports work

I do think their hand was forced by all the universities closing campuses, but they'll have their own repercussions to deal with in trying to figure this mess out that they clearly thought they could just wash their hands of by cancelling everything.

Lol boy are they gonna be in for a rude awakening in a few months, and especially if the NCAA does in fact grant eligibility (have they already?) to existing seniors who may want an extra year. The schools are gonna have to deal with that as well in their own way.

I understand the inconvenience of this all, but there was clearly an opportunity to make this less inconvenient......and they chose poorly.

You have to figure that postponing events would be a logistical nightmare. Most of these venues have concerts or conventions booked years or months in advance.

You can't just push stuff back a few weeks.

You have to figure that postponing events would be a logistical nightmare. Most of these venues have concerts or conventions booked years or months in advance.

You can't just push stuff back a few weeks.
Sure you can........and besides (and first of all, f*** all those concerts and conventions....never was big into live concerts) there's gonna be plenty of open dates now with everyone cancelling everything.

F***ing Maroon 5 playing in Omaha is not a once in a lifetime opportunity compared to teams like Rutgers, etc with their seniors getting to play in the NCAA tournament.

Last edited:
Reactions: Mattski
Sure you can........and besides (and first of all, f*** all those concerts and conventions....never was big into live concerts) there's gonna be plenty of open dates now with everyone cancelling everything.

F***ing Maroon 5 playing in Omaha is not a once in a lifetime opportunity compared to teams like Rutgers, etc with their seniors getting to play in the NCAA tournament.

Maybe not to you, but she will be loved

Is this going to start the rule change to being able to compete in 4 postseasons regardless of redshirting, etc?

Source?
Now is not a good time to be laying things out as facts... unless they are in deed facts.
It's wild speculation/half truths/people relying on the internet to educate them that contributed to this.
It's still raw to those most affected and they don't need to be yo-yo'd while adjusting to this new reality.
Surreal

What? Are you chastising/lecturing me for my post?
Just because you may not know the facts and I do (in this case), relax. As I previously stated, in response to another post asking for my source, you can take it or leave it. I don't have to give up my source to satisfy you. Ok, my source, is called Deep Throat.

ADVERTISEMENT