ADVERTISEMENT

The proposed North End Zone Project

JRHawk2003

HR King
Jul 9, 2003
I am hearing they are having trouble getting people to commit. I think its weird that they are doing this at a time when they can't fill the stadium regularly anymore. I guess the deadline is tomorrow. Is it right that it would cost $1,000 + seats cost up front then $2,000 a year + ticket cost each year after that?

I am going to get season tix again next year and give to the I-Club again (God Help Me), but I would not spend that much to basically access a sports bar with end zone views.

I am hearing they are having trouble getting people to commit. I think its weird that they are doing this at a time when they can't fill the stadium regularly anymore. I guess the deadline is tomorrow. Is it right that it would cost $1,000 + seats cost up front then $2,000 a year + ticket cost each year after that?

I am going to get season tix again next year and give to the I-Club again (God Help Me), but I would not spend that much to basically access a sports bar with end zone views.

$2k/yr plus ticket cost.
I use the outdoor clubs seats a couple times a year and enjoy it.
Im signing up for 4. Donation part should be tax deductable unless law changes.

Reactions: HawkeyeHoltkamp
I just don't like the project. The last major renovation they did a great job of keeping the architecture very similar to the original. The new north project doesn't match the existing architecture at all.

It seems like we have a lot of stuff for the big donor class...while the little guy season ticket holder is going away. Its too bad. Its not unique to Iowa necessarily. 60" TV's with surround will do that.

I actually think the end zone view is ideal for seeing plays develop.

If I was in a different position financially or in a different stage of life I'd have been all over them.

It's an awful lot of money, though.

It's just so hard to see when the action is at the other end. I was in the end zone at Madison in 2015 and the Stave fumble was so far away, I had no clue what had happened.

A deadline for buying tickets in the section that hasn't been built and are having trouble selling tickets?

I agree. Very good actually. But, what's the deadline?

To reserve i think it was this dec.
Then everyone will be given a time to select their seats by priority points similiar to the two reseatings.
The section will open in 2019 but those who have reserved will get some benefits in 2018.

curious what any of you north endzoners plan to do. i think i'm going to take a pause on my season tickets for a year and then decide. i don't really feel like affording the club costs, and not sure where they'd put me if i renew after the renovation.

I don't like it, not that I can't afford it, but why put in club seats w/TV's? If your going to watch it on TV, just stay at home and watch. Makes no sense.

I agree with others, the stadium is not filling up right now. I assume those extra seats will help fund the empty seats in the stadium. Sports in general are going to suffer, there are more people opting to watch at home and not buy tickets anymore. I would not be shocked if college football starts "blacking" out games to get people to come back. I don't know if they can do that or not.

Eventually everything will be pay per view when it comes to sports I am sure.

I just secured two tickets today. My company does a 2 for 1 match for the charitable piece so I'm getting a pretty good deal on the tickets.

from my understanding they are tearing it down completely and re building the north end zone. The new club seats will be closer to the field. I think it will be a pretty nice seat with good view!!

Reactions: Harbinger273
curious what any of you north endzoners plan to do. i think i'm going to take a pause on my season tickets for a year and then decide. i don't really feel like affording the club costs, and not sure where they'd put me if i renew after the renovation.

My friend got out of the endzone a year early. Uograded and ended up just getting new ones in section 102 Row 60 this year. Aisle seats on about the 7 yardline. I sat with him for a game this year, they were good seats. I think his donation was 50 bucks a seat so not much more than the endzone.

I don't like it, not that I can't afford it, but why put in club seats w/TV's? If your going to watch it on TV, just stay at home and watch. Makes no sense.

I agree with others, the stadium is not filling up right now. I assume those extra seats will help fund the empty seats in the stadium. Sports in general are going to suffer, there are more people opting to watch at home and not buy tickets anymore. I would not be shocked if college football starts "blacking" out games to get people to come back. I don't know if they can do that or not.

Actually, it's not "extra seats", correct? I think the maximum attendance will go down. These are just nicer, higher priced seats.

My friend got out of the endzone a year early. Uograded and ended up just getting new ones in section 102 Row 60 this year. Aisle seats on about the 7 yardline. I sat with him for a game this year, they were good seats. I think his donation was 50 bucks a seat so not much more than the endzone.

Thats about where I was. If you give $100 you will sit along the sides around the 5 yard line...and it really isn't a bad seat.

I think a bigger concern is them pricing families out of going to games. PSU, OSU and MN games should have all been sellouts and would have been in the past. Now that tickets for top tier games are over $100 with fees, people can't afford to take their kids to the games. I fear that one of Barta's main motivations is money and that they may generate more revenue with extremely pricey tickets and 5000 seats left empty. What does this mean for keeping an enthusiastic fan base? What does it mean for creating the next generation of Hawkeye fans?

Having a team that one can take pride in and afford to introduce one's kids is almost a community service.

Reactions: naturalmwa

People like the actual tailgating experience.

I think a bigger concern is them pricing families out of going to games. PSU, OSU and MN games should have all been sellouts and would have been in the past. Now that tickets for top tier games are over $100 with fees, people can't afford to take their kids to the games. I fear that one of Barta's main motivations is money and that they may generate more revenue with extremely pricey tickets and 5000 seats left empty. What does this mean for keeping an enthusiastic fan base? What does it mean for creating the next generation of Hawkeye fans?

Having a team that one can take pride in and afford to introduce one's kids is almost a community service.

I hear you. I have 4 kids. The only game I take more than one of them to a year is a game like North Texas where I can get them for $30. When I was a kid we had the knothole and grass seats for cheap and they would basically let you in free the 2nd half. My love of the Hawkeyes was formed in those years. My kids are fans too, but not in the way I was brought up and its kind of unfortunate. Of course, I lived in the shadow of Kinnick growing up lol.

Reactions: tronx95
Just to be clear, the North Endzone will still have “regular” seats. It seems a few in this thread think the whole endzone is going to be nothing but premium seating. Like the west stands now, there will be regular seats, and club/suite seating.

Reactions: QCHAWK

BINGO! Jamie Pollard figured this out years ago.

They added premium seating to improve the game day experience and to increase revenue. There will be plenty of normal seating in the North end zone as well.

I just secured two tickets today. My company does a 2 for 1 match for the charitable piece so I'm getting a pretty good deal on the tickets.

Are you saying you're only donating 33% of the $4k and your company is picking up the rest?

Are you saying you're only donating 33% of the $4k and your company is picking up the rest?
That's exactly right. So for the $1K down payment I had to put down the other day (on one ticket), it's all tax deductible so I put down $350 and my company puts in $700. The University gets $1,050 and I only pay $350. It's gold.

It drops seating capicity almost 5,000 which helps sell the stadium out. The knew seats are luxury boxes that pay more than the seats they're losing! Win-WIN

It drops seating capicity almost 5,000 which helps sell the stadium out. The knew seats are luxury boxes that pay more than the seats they're losing! Win-WIN
Unless something has changed, capacity is only supposed to drop about 1k.

Neumann Monson architects has a site http://kinnickedge.org that has some renderings and so forth. Not sure if it will end up looking exactly as they portray, but I would think the design of the seating and club area that face the stadium will look like the site shows. It will be a taller structure than the existing. More stacked up.

I don't think they can do that with the BTN/TV rights contract.

Can someone help me with the Tax treatment of club seats? I am trying to get to a net cost assuming ticket as a business entertainment expense and the seat donation corporate charitable donation. Is this the right way to think of it?

Can someone help me with the Tax treatment of club seats? I am trying to get to a net cost assuming ticket as a business entertainment expense and the seat donation corporate charitable donation. Is this the right way to think of it?
Also, was the 1,000 reserve fee per seat, additional donation amount, or a donation in advance for the 1st year's per seat donation?

Finally, is alcohol served/available/allowed in the club seating as well as other premium seating areas? Is this part of the draw?

What look has more "wow factor" for you? I pick #2:

kinnick-stadium-section-116-view.jpg

12218809_G.jpg

Reactions: Ferentzforever
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT