ADVERTISEMENT

The real reason music is getting worse.

80% of my 15 year old’s music library consists of music from the 90’s. So this is definitely not a ‘get off my lawn moment’. Even the kids recognize music sucks compared to 30 years ago.

80% of my 15 year old’s music library consists of music from the 90’s. So this is definitely not a ‘get off my lawn moment’. Even the kids recognize music sucks compared to 30 years ago.
He nails it. When he points out the primary tool is a laptop. It removes human creativity from the music making process.
Part of what makes music interesting is the mistakes or differences in expression.

I have 4 teens, and while I agree they definitely appreciate the 90’s and other eras, they also listen to a lot of today’s music. I’d says it’s 60% of today’s music and 40% of yesteryear’s. I honestly like a lot of what they listen to today, so I don’t agree that music today is worse than music of old.

If you really think about it, it’s harder right now to come up with “original” music because everything has already been done, and if it is a new sound, old people like the dude in the video and us, probably wouldn’t like it anyway. Our music was once thought of as “bad” music too.

Music hasn't gotten worse. It's just not marketed like it used to be. As soon as record companys, stores, radio, and television couldn't make money off it anymore they quit marketing it.

There are a lot of great new bands and music out there, just have to look for it. I listen through every one of those recommendations things Spotify creates based of what I like. Find new stuff I like every single time.

TBH, I hated most pop music in the 70s thru 90s as much as I do new pop music. Doesn't mean I didn't respect the artist, I just didn't like the music.

You mentioned leaving business in Miami because of corruption.
Do you run into elsewhere and Miami is just too expensive, or is it a Miami thing in your experience?

Is that a thing you report to the FBI if you run into it over and over?
Or just get away and let others rip people off?

You mentioned leaving business in Miami because of corruption.
Do you run into elsewhere and Miami is just too expensive, or is it a Miami thing in your experience?

Is that a thing you report to the FBI if you run into it over and over?
Or just get away and let others rip people off?
I tend to not involve myself with government agencies, especially the fbi lol. You’re a weird guy Ace.

I tend to not involve myself with government agencies, especially the fbi lol. You’re a weird guy Ace.
I just figure you couldn’t call the police department with a problem like that.
I can understand that trepidation, and I can’t argue it.

So just a Miami thing, or run into it elsewhere in Florida?
You just read about countries down the corruption spectrum, and how people pay bribes to clerks to get licenses.
I only read about things like contracting fraud, and that sort of corruption in the US. I assume you were being hit up for kickbacks to be allowed in a territory?

I have a staff member that is a Cuban refugee (recently naturalized). She spent one month in Miami and ‘noped’ out of there. Said it wasn’t her idea of America. :) So now she’s in Tallahassee.

I kept up with new music well into my late 30s early 40s and have since just stopped. Outside of Country and my two outliers, Alter Bridge and Taylor, I don't keep up with new music. I typically have Happy Rock, Margaritaville Radio, or the Highway/Prime Country on Sirius XM otherwise I'm listing to 80s, 90s and 00s playlists. Sometimes even the Highway irritates me with some of the newer pop country crap.

When I'm really in a good music mood, though, I pivot to my vinyl collection, Simon & Garfunkel, Heart, Neil Diamond, Fleetwood, Chris Stapleton, Phil Collins, Jimmy, Queen etc.

Reactions: Mayland
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT