ADVERTISEMENT

The recession is deepening HORT

BrunoMars420

HR Legend
Feb 14, 2016
Live: Dow drops 300 points as traders fret over FedEx warning, Wall Street heads for big weekly loss
https://www.cnbc.com/2022/09/15/sto...are|com.apple.UIKit.activity.CopyToPasteboard

“Shares of FedEx plunged 23% after the shipments company withdrew its full-year guidance and said it will implement cost-cutting initiatives to contend with soft global shipment volumes as the global economy “significantly worsened.” Transport stocks are typically seen as a leading economic indicator, so FedEx’s announcement could contribute to broader declines on Friday.”

Mix this in with the bad inflation numbers from the last CPI report and FedEx basically saying we are F’d. Earlier in the year most of the bigger banks economists were saying expect a recession into at least Q2 of 2023. Hopefully we get out of it sooner but the last couple of days aren’t good signs.

1. The dow isn't the economy.

2. I have been amazed SOMETHING has kept the markets as afloat as they have been. There were days of growth that didn't make any sense at all.

3. November is a long way away if this bitch starts to really tank.

There will almost certainly be a worldwide recession independent of what happens in the United States.

2. I have been amazed SOMETHING has kept the markets as afloat as they have been. There were days of growth that didn't make any sense at all.

1. No shit, who said it was?
2. Thank the Fed
3. It’s going to keep finding lower lows

1. True

2. If you mean last year, I agree. If you mean recently, the markets are actually fairly attractive from a valuation stand point. Unfortunately, that could change here in the near future.

3. I think these next couple months are going to be brutal. Hope I’m wrong.

Reactions: skydog0784
We know interest rates are high.

It amazes me how money people spend on new cars that don’t have that great of jobs. You really want a $800 a month car payment for 7 years?

I think the bottom is better judged by car loan defaults and personal bankruptcies.

I just hope the government doesn’t try to prop anybody or any company up. Time to fry and let people/companies know they need to manage their money/loans better.

• Haha
Reactions: anon_b29nm7v7dwp6r
COMMA2.jpg

Reactions: TarponSpringsNole
Half tempted to pick up some Fedex right now. Down 23% today.
It is starting to be a bit tempting….I mean coming out of this FedEx isn’t going anywhere….Amazon can’t ship everything everywhere….they’re still a solid company. And the transition from Brick and mortar to online is only going to accelerate

It is starting to be a bit tempting….I mean coming out of this FedEx isn’t going anywhere….Amazon can’t ship everything everywhere….they’re still a solid company. And the transition from Brick and mortar to online is only going to accelerate

I'd rather pick up UPS instead. They're a better-run company and you get paid a bit more to hold on to the stock, IMO.

I'd rather pick up UPS instead. They're a better-run company and you get paid a bit more to hold on to the stock, IMO.
Well and I also wonder how realistic these numbers are that FedEx is seeing….I haven’t seen a ton of alarm from UPS

I work for a global company. What happened in a China has really hurt global companies.
i could've missed some threads but it's been a while since chinese economy has been discussed here. i saw a news clip recently indicating their factories are closing and that this may be related to a zero covid policy. the chinese aren't dumb enough to keep everything locked down due to covid imo, so it's something else (just a guess)
so what's going on there?

Mix this in with the bad inflation numbers from the last CPI report and FedEx basically saying we are F’d. Earlier in the year most of the bigger banks economists were saying expect a recession into at least Q2 of 2023. Hopefully we get out of it sooner but the last couple of days aren’t good signs.
Hearing rumors of large bank layoffs coming due to mortgage and refinancing drying up.

Reactions: skydog0784
Hearing rumors of large bank layoffs coming due to mortgage and refinancing drying up.

That would make sense. It's been quite a run for the mortgage/refi folks over the last decade. Not a lot of juice left there. Hopefully, they've been saving their money.

Reactions: Hawk_82
Surprised AI hasn’t wiped out most of these jobs.

just a formula now. Nobody is sitting down with you to judge what kind of person you are when it comes to borrowing a butt load of money.

We know interest rates are high.

It amazes me how money people spend on new cars that don’t have that great of jobs. You really want a $800 a month car payment for 7 years?

I think the bottom is better judged by car loan defaults and personal bankruptcies.

I just hope the government doesn’t try to prop anybody or any company up. Time to fry and let people/companies know they need to manage their money/loans better.
Interest rates are higher, yes.......a far cry from "high".....there is a good economic argument that the "cheap money" of the past 8 years is the chief culprit for where we are today,,,,,Money rates of 5-8% are quite liveable and would provide an incentive to "save" money for a rainy day. We haven't seen money are "normal rates" for 15 years or more.....Sorry onlyTheObvious, you have been spoiled and sheltered from reality....welcome to the real world.

Reactions: BlackNGoldBleeder
i could've missed some threads but it's been a while since chinese economy has been discussed here. i saw a news clip recently indicating their factories are closing and that this may be related to a zero covid policy. the chinese aren't dumb enough to keep everything locked down due to covid imo, so it's something else (just a guess)
so what's going on there?
desi....you overrate the Chinese greatly here. China has botched everything they have touched economically the past 2-3 years....Xi is fighting like hell to keep his job. Covid really phuqued the Chinese up...their response to it has been catastrophic. They are no longer a "dependable" supplier to the world and the world is trying to adjust. The Russia incursion into Ukraine has greatly interupted the worlds oil/natural gas supply, especially for Europe...and it is making adjustments accordingly. As the world emerged from Covid, it placed great demands on the worlds supply chains and they have fractured.......Cannot blame "Biden" for this...He has a role in it of course....but American corporations are the ones who made this decision starting 50 years ago with their moving domestic manufacturing overseas and to third world poor countries. We are reaping what we have sewed.....several wars, many more natural disasters, world poverty and inequitable distribution of income worldwide are all negatives that have come home to roost. Instead of looking into the mirror and addressing problems, America has chosen to divide into its tribes, point fingers and blame "the other side".....

That would make sense. It's been quite a run for the mortgage/refi folks over the last decade. Not a lot of juice left there. Hopefully, they've been saving their money.
The good news is there’s plenty of jobs available.

FedEx doesn't deliver for Amazon

There will almost certainly be a worldwide recession independent of what happens in the United States.
Ya, the dem policies and irrational spending and strangling of the energy industry are not at fault at all..:rolleyes:

It amazes me how much value people put on their cars as some sort of status.

14 year old mentality.

I literally just got done having this conversation over lunch. It is incredible the amount of $50k+ cars I see out driving around these days.

ADVERTISEMENT