ADVERTISEMENT

The rise and fall of the gas-stove rebellion

cigaretteman

HR King
May 29, 2001
To hear Rep. Ronny Jackson (R-Tex.) tell it, the Biden administration's latest decision is among its most insidious.
“I just think it’s pathetic that they’re doing this,” Jackson said in an interview on Newsmax on Wednesday morning. “I mean, there’s so many other things they should be worried about right now. How about focusing on the crime in our cities or the fentanyl? Or, you know, our problems overseas with Russia and China and Iran and what’s going on over there or, you know, all the other issues that we have in this country with the economy?”

“This is a complete waste of time,” Jackson added, before assuring viewers they were not impotent in this critical fight.

“If you want to help me stop this,” he said, “go to SaveTheStove.com.”
For, you see, the issue about which Jackson was so agitated — so “fired up,” as the Newsmax host quipped — was the idea that the government would soon be banning gas stoves in private homes. Jackson had tweeted a rousing defense of the cooking mechanism on Tuesday:

His Newsmax interview was simply a continuation of the theme.

“This is another example of government overreach from the Biden administration and another example of them using their agencies like this Consumer Product Protection Commission” — actually the Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC) — “just like they use the EPA and the SEC and the CDC,” Jackson insisted. “They always go back — and you can remember from covid and everything else — they’ll say there’s some kind of science behind it that justifies it. There’s no valid, legitimate science that proves that or that suggests that this type of cooking is any more hazardous than any other type of cooking.”

So that’s wrong. There actually was research published in December linking emissions from gas stoves to increased rates of childhood asthma. It noted that known mitigation strategies — like improved ventilation or converting to electric stoves — could measurably reduce asthma, particularly in states where gas stoves were more common.
It’s also wrong because the Biden administration wasn’t recommending anything related to gas stoves. In an interview with Bloomberg News, one member of the CPSC indicated that the commission would “take action” on gas stoves, adding that the “products that can’t be made safe can be banned.” But this was one comment from one commissioner, not a statement that the CPSC was undertaking the procedural steps needed to effect such a ban, much less to impose one unilaterally.

On Wednesday morning, in fact, CPSC Chair Alexander D. Hoehn-Saric released a statement formally denying that any such plans were under consideration.

“Research indicates that emissions from gas stoves can be hazardous, and the CPSC is looking for ways to reduce related indoor air quality hazards,” he wrote. “But to be clear, I am not looking to ban gas stoves and the CPSC has no proceeding to do so.”
In other words, not only was President Biden not prioritizing gas stoves over Russia and China and Iran and what’s going on over there, the CPSC itself wasn’t obviously prioritizing it at all. It was not the case, as text at SaveTheStove claimed, that “Our Stoves Are At Risk!” or that “Biden and Democrats want to BAN gas stoves in EVERY home! INCLUDING YOURS!” While the website insisted that “we can’t let the maniacs in the White House get away with this!” those White House maniacs weren’t trying to get away with anything of the sort. (Those who signed Jackson’s petition, of course, can expect imminent fundraising emails.)

Even if the CPSC had decided to ban gas stoves, it’s not as though there would be a need for Jackson to defend his all-American burner-top against jackbooted government thugs. The CPSC is not in the business of confiscation but of constriction. It has a lengthy page delineating products that are subject to regulation, standards and bans, but there is no process for even the banned products to be forcibly taken from homes. As The Washington Post’s Shannon Osaka noted, it’s not as though the CPSC’s ban on lawn darts in the late 1980s was followed by an armed sweep through the suburbs to ferret out illegal darts from white clapboard garages.

Consider asbestos. Asbestos is bad! It causes cancer. But it’s not banned in the United States; in fact, the United States regularly imports it. In jurisdictions looking to remove asbestos, it’s often taken out only when houses or buildings are refurbished, and then by people specially equipped for the removal.
In places that are looking to phase out natural gas, often for climate change-related reasons, a similar standard is generally employed. When New York Gov. Kathy Hochul (D) this week proposed bringing New York City’s law to that effect statewide, the ban would apply to new construction, not existing buildings. In other words, the process for phasing out gas stoves would not be to march to Ronny Jackson’s door, truncheon at the ready, but instead to wait until he’s ready to move to a newly built place.

That Jackson decided to champion this cause isn’t really surprising. He represents the state of Texas, which in October was responsible for more than a quarter of all of the natural gas produced in the United States. His Texasness comes through in his call-to-stoves; the “come and take it” line is a callback to a line from the Texas Revolution.
Happily, the Great Battle for the Stoves has already been won. Mostly because the other side never showed up.

• Haha
Reactions: FranMcNepotism
I'm kind of surprised to see Ronny Jackson is against fentanyl importation....the dude likes his drink and pills.

Reactions: cigaretteman

I guess the White House doesn't know what the chief of their Consumer Products Safety Commission was saying to Bloomberg.

Reactions: SA_Hawk
whoops-my.gif

I guess the White House doesn't know what the chief of their Consumer Products Safety Commission was saying to Bloomberg.

You’re 24 hours behind the news cycle pal. That was one commissioner and the head of the agency said it’s not happening.

Analysis: The rise and fall of the gas-stove rebellion
Some Republicans are complaining about a move the Biden administration has not even taken: banning gas stoves in private homes.
To hear Rep. Ronny Jackson (R-Tex.) tell it, the Biden administration’s latest (nonexistent) decision — is among its most insidious:
“I just think it’s pathetic that they’re doing this,” Jackson said in an interview on Newsmax Wednesday morning. “I mean, there’s so many other things they should be worried about right now. How about focusing on the crime in our cities or the fentanyl? Or, you know, our problems overseas with Russia and China and Iran and what’s going on over there or, you know, all the other issues that we have in this country with the economy?”
As Philip Bump notes, the Biden administration wasn’t recommending anything related to gas stoves. In an interview with Bloomberg News, one member of the Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC) indicated that the commission would “take action” on gas stoves, adding that “products that can’t be made safe can be banned.” But this was one comment from one commissioner, not a statement that the CPSC was undertaking the procedural steps needed to effect such a ban, much less to impose one unilaterally.

Where’s all this coming from? Per Philip:
Research published in December [linked] emissions from gas stoves to increased rates of childhood asthma. It noted that known mitigation strategies — like improved ventilation or converting to electric stoves — could measurably reduce asthma, particularly in states where gas stoves were more common.
But there are no plans under consideration to ban gas stoves, CPSC Chair Alexander D. Hoehn-Saric said in a statement on Wednesday.

Reactions: cigaretteman
You’re 24 hours behind the news cycle pal. That was one commissioner and the head of the agency said it’s not happening.

Analysis: The rise and fall of the gas-stove rebellion
Some Republicans are complaining about a move the Biden administration has not even taken: banning gas stoves in private homes.
To hear Rep. Ronny Jackson (R-Tex.) tell it, the Biden administration’s latest (nonexistent) decision — is among its most insidious:
“I just think it’s pathetic that they’re doing this,” Jackson said in an interview on Newsmax Wednesday morning. “I mean, there’s so many other things they should be worried about right now. How about focusing on the crime in our cities or the fentanyl? Or, you know, our problems overseas with Russia and China and Iran and what’s going on over there or, you know, all the other issues that we have in this country with the economy?”
As Philip Bump notes, the Biden administration wasn’t recommending anything related to gas stoves. In an interview with Bloomberg News, one member of the Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC) indicated that the commission would “take action” on gas stoves, adding that “products that can’t be made safe can be banned.” But this was one comment from one commissioner, not a statement that the CPSC was undertaking the procedural steps needed to effect such a ban, much less to impose one unilaterally.

Where’s all this coming from? Per Philip:
Research published in December [linked] emissions from gas stoves to increased rates of childhood asthma. It noted that known mitigation strategies — like improved ventilation or converting to electric stoves — could measurably reduce asthma, particularly in states where gas stoves were more common.
But there are no plans under consideration to ban gas stoves, CPSC Chair Alexander D. Hoehn-Saric said in a statement on Wednesday.
He said its not happening after uproar from Republicans AND Democrats but you know, blame it all on the Rs. That's what I would do.

• Haha
Reactions: Gimmered
Something like this feels like an old-timey political controversy. They're outlawing our stoves!

I guess my question is... if you're the feds and think this is meaningful, you can only get away with so much of this stuff in a period of time before the public says "too much too quick." That being so... where health and global warming is concerned, is this one of the 'big' moves you want to make?

Happily, the Great Battle for the Stoves has already been won. Mostly because the other side never showed up.

Just like the "war" on Christmas, but you still see moron right wingers flogging that dead horse.
And Mitt Romney trying to cancel Big Bird.

Reactions: torbee
He said its not happening after uproar from Republicans AND Democrats but you know, blame it all on the Rs. That's what I would do.
It was never happening.

The intention has been to study the issue and see if eventually they need to be phased out, much as how asbestos was handled. By the way, did you know asbestos isn’t banned in the US either despite being banned in almost all of Europe?

Seems like the study that started this was funded by an environmental group trying to ban natural gas and a group promoting electric stoves. Go figure.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT