ADVERTISEMENT

The Running Game Problem

Feb 25, 2008
Iowa is currently averaging just 156.8 ypg and 4.1 ypc, which is just below average across college football.

Our 7 rushing TDs on the season are good for t-92nd in the nation.....

Over our last two games, Iowa has rushed for 71 yards and no TDs. (1 yd against Michigan, 70 against PSU)

RBs rushed for 66 yds and 3 ypc vs Michigan, 75 yds and 3.4 ypc vs PSU. Both games our RBs/WRs carried the ball 22 times.

Kirk Ferentz has talked a lot about wanting to be balanced. 22 carries spread out amongst our plethora of runners (not including Stanley because he can't run.....

Stanley: "Hey, I can run the b-"

No.....no you can't.

There's plenty of questions to be asked about Iowa's struggles to run the ball. Are we spreading carries among our backs too thin? Can any RB get a rhythm with just 10 carries a game? Is it because no one RB is really standing out? How can Iowa actually get their running game going when our OL is struggling to sustain blocks and get a push, and opposing defenses have Iowa's blocking scheme well-scouted?

We all have opinions on how to answer those questions, but I want to focus on that last one, because both Michigan and Penn State's aggressive defenses have really shown why we're struggling to run the ball, this season in particular.

Most of Iowa's runs are designed to go between the tackles with the option for the cut back in the zone scheme. Some of our best runs (and that's not saying a lot) against PSU though came on runs where our backs improvised and bounced the run outside from the pressure, or did actually hit the cutback from where the play is designed to go.....

We also have the rare occasional jet sweep run with Smith-Marsette that all depends on how well we block the edge, and that's been hit and miss (and mostly "miss" throughout KF's tenure).

However, the one play that we seem to be missing in these tough games against ranked teams.............the toss/pitch out.

We've run it a few times this year. But it's honestly a more rarely called play than the f***ing end around run with the WR. There are whole seasons that pass between times we've called that play.....for an offense that considers itself a pro style offense. Yet here I am watching on Sundays and multiple teams are lining up single back and I-form running the toss to try to keep aggressive defenses honest.

Maybe give it a try more often......

Last edited:
We are missing a complete every down back who can make plays on his own. While Goodson is the closest, and has by far the highest ceiling, we saw a few of his true freshman deficiencies on full display last night. He had the one excellent run, but otherwise missed some cutback opportunities by not having the patience/timing down as well as Wadley and Canzeri did later on, and of course he alligator armed a potential catch over the middle. The lack of production here is simply another symptom of the very pedestrian and average offensive line play (below average, by Iowa's normal standards). Penn State with Cain was able to get 5-7 yard gains between the tackles, and that was what put away the game in the fourth, particularly on the final series. Iowa would often have negative plays and 1 and 2 yard gains. We're just not as strong in the trenches as our better teams tend to be.

I just think the offense has become too complicated for the guys. I mean we have so many formations and different line-ups for certain formations. With KOK we knew it was power I and we ran stuff off that look. Seems like we have zero tendencies and we go from power I to 5 wide every other play.

I just think the offense has become too complicated for the guys. I mean we have so many formations and different line-ups for certain formations. With KOK we knew it was power I and we ran stuff off that look. Seems like we have zero tendencies and we go from power I to 5 wide every other play.
I agree, though I wouldn't say we have too many formations. You're right though that we change up formations way too much and don't establish any consistency in play-calling.

In the 1st Qtr, we were trying to establish the run and controlling the clock and I was thinking, "This is what we want to do. Establish our tendencies and wear them down for later in the game."

But by the 3rd and 4th qtr, we had almost completely abandoned the run and our line was getting blown off the ball regardless of what we were trying to do. PSU obviously had a lot to do with that, but as you mentioned, and it was similar in the Michigan game as well.....we'd have a series where we had a few good runs, and then just miss on a pass or two and have to punt.....then we'd come out and pass 3 times and punt....then we'd come out and run into a pile of bodies once and pass the rest of the possession...and so on.

That isn't establishing consistency or balance on offense at all.

Iowa ran the ball 14 times on 1st down. Total production was 61 yards/ 4.35 avg. If you take out Goodson's 29 yard run, 13 carries for 32 yards, for an average of 2.5 yards. Iowa had 3 different players (Young, Goodson, Sargent) run the ball on first down. Yards gained in order: 1, 2, 1, 1, 2, 2, 29, 5, 3, -1, 9, 7, -6, 6.

Penn State ran the ball 20 times on 1st down. Total production was 105 yards/5.25 avg. If you take out the longest run, 19 carries for 93 yards, for an average of 4.9 yards. Penn State had 6 different players (Cain, Dotson, Ford, Clifford, Brown, Slade) run on first down. Yards gained in order: 9, 5, 4, 5, 3, 5, 4, 8, 6, 4, 5, 12, 4, 5, 7, 1, 3, 3, 7, 5.

Iowa ran the ball 14 times on 1st down. Total production was 61 yards/ 4.35 avg. If you take out Goodson's 29 yard run, 13 carries for 32 yards, for an average of 2.5 yards. Iowa had 3 different players (Young, Goodson, Sargent) run the ball on first down. Yards gained in order: 1, 2, 1, 1, 2, 2, 29, 5, 3, -1, 9, 7, -6, 6.

Penn State ran the ball 20 times on 1st down. Total production was 105 yards/5.25 avg. If you take out the longest run, 19 carries for 93 yards, for an average of 4.9 yards. Penn State had 6 different players (Cain, Dotson, Ford, Clifford, Brown, Slade) run on first down. Yards gained in order: 9, 5, 4, 5, 3, 5, 4, 8, 6, 4, 5, 12, 4, 5, 7, 1, 3, 3, 7, 5.
So you're saying our defense could stand to do better?......

It's mystifying to me how a team that wants to be "run first" has so much trouble running the ball. Yes, PSU and Mich had good defenses, but I'm looking more at the last several seasons of a below average running attack.

The explanation of "other teams stack the box" or "they sell out to stop the run" doesn't do it for me. If teams really did that it would seem that Iowa would have more wide open receivers.

I also don't buy "play calling" as a major problem. Poor play calling can explain a bad series, even a bad game - not a bad 5 years.

It must be something about player technique, offensive scheme, blocking scheme, line splits - Iowa used to be able to over-power some teams, even good teams, over the course of a game - no longer it seems.

Whatever it is, it's not going to be fixed this season - it's going to take some new design ideas. Iowa is not going to be able to run against Wisky, but hopefully they will be able to against everyone else.

I've only watched the last two Iowa games , but what I saw was two defenses that took away the run and dared your qb to beat them. The fact that your qb cant run makes this even more glaring. It left PSU db's in a tough spot several times but the DC was taking the chance that while the qb would hit some shots, he couldn't sustain drives.

I think there are two issues:
1) we just went up against 2 of the best defenses in the country including the best rush defense YPC in the country(Penn St)
2) Our interior line play has been struggling. I noticed bad footwork on one of the TFL

Outside of Wisconsin(#2 rush defense), the rest of our schedule should be telling on what type of run game we have. Clearly it’s not dominant enough to be effective against top tier defenses. If it can be effective against most defenses, we can still win 9 games.

I think the main problem with the running game is the guards and lack of a big time RB. Although, the results against PSU weren't horrible PSU is right up there among the top 3 rush defenses in the country. I think the biggest issue is pass pro.

1. QB not a threat to run
2. Interior o-line lacking sufficient ability against top 30 defenses.
3. Average backs(Goodson showing flashes but not there yet).

Center of the line play is the most glaring issue at the moment. Hurting the run game and killing pass pro.

We are missing a complete every down back who can make plays on his own. While Goodson is the closest, and has by far the highest ceiling, we saw a few of his true freshman deficiencies on full display last night. He had the one excellent run, but otherwise missed some cutback opportunities by not having the patience/timing down as well as Wadley and Canzeri did later on, and of course he alligator armed a potential catch over the middle. The lack of production here is simply another symptom of the very pedestrian and average offensive line play (below average, by Iowa's normal standards). Penn State with Cain was able to get 5-7 yard gains between the tackles, and that was what put away the game in the fourth, particularly on the final series. Iowa would often have negative plays and 1 and 2 yard gains. We're just not as strong in the trenches as our better teams tend to be.

I don't think Goodson missed a lot of cutback opportunities. Iowa's OL was being dominated---his problem is he is getting hit behind the line of scrimmage. When you block poorly, waiting for a cutback lane means penetration and getting sacked in backfield. That is why Toren Young has had some success---he just plows straight ahead.

Goodson does lack strength. When Goodson runs between tackles, he's not strong enough to carry defenders.
Goodson reminds me a little of Wadley---Wadley had sheety senior running the ball becuause he needed space to juke.

If Iowa had a mobile QB that good buy time, like Tate in 2004, a poor running game could be coped with by going to pass 1st. With a pocket passer that is sitting duck in pocket, defenses tee off on Stanley and have little worry about him extending a play and making them pay for bringing the house.

Thanks for the stats. Very telling lack of 1st down success by Iowa. I suspect BF's 2nd down play calling has also tended to be diasatrous.

In short yardage, they seem to only have the QB sneak that can consistently get positive yards---assuming they get set.

Epitome of Iowa football was the 2nd and 10 call from the Penn St 37 on the 2nd play of the 4th quarter.

Down 10-6 we throw an incomplete pass on 1st down. Now Iowa comes in with 22 personnel and everyone in the stadium knows a run is coming. Penn St shows a blitz off the right side, Nate sees it comes out from under center and the LB backs off. Nate does not call audible but it's clear as day they are running it right at the unblocked LB. At the snap of the ball the LB moves right back up to the line. Ball is snapped and sure enough we run the play right at the untouched LB and our RB is hit almost immediately and now we are sitting at 3rd and 14 from the 41.

Need to mix up the play calling just a bit. When the average fan knows what you're doing you can safely bet guys who have spent their life studying this game know what you're doing.

Reactions: Greenway4Prez
I agree, though I wouldn't say we have too many formations. You're right though that we change up formations way too much and don't establish any consistency in play-calling.

In the 1st Qtr, we were trying to establish the run and controlling the clock and I was thinking, "This is what we want to do. Establish our tendencies and wear them down for later in the game."

But by the 3rd and 4th qtr, we had almost completely abandoned the run and our line was getting blown off the ball regardless of what we were trying to do. PSU obviously had a lot to do with that, but as you mentioned, and it was similar in the Michigan game as well.....we'd have a series where we had a few good runs, and then just miss on a pass or two and have to punt.....then we'd come out and pass 3 times and punt....then we'd come out and run into a pile of bodies once and pass the rest of the possession...and so on.

That isn't establishing consistency or balance on offense at all.

Much better expression of my frustration with the offense than I could have put together. Brian seems like he wants a multiple offense but we don't seem to have an identity. And it seems concerning that we can see some frustration from the players coming out as well. As another poster stated no quick fix for this and it becomes particularly important this next game against Purdue to at least stop the slide.

Are we complaining that the offense is no longer predictable?

Also, they have run 50% more pass plays than run plays the past two weeks, which is not what the philosophy of this team, especially when they are only down 1 score

1. QB not a threat to run
2. Interior o-line lacking sufficient ability against top 30 defenses.
3. Average backs(Goodson showing flashes but not there yet).

Center of the line play is the most glaring issue at the moment. Hurting the run game and killing pass pro.
I agree but would add three things:

1) Even with time, Stanley hasn't shown the ability to consistently hit an open receiver, even on short throws.
2) Too many passes behind or just over the line of scrimmage, especially on 3rd down. Even in years with good line play, this coaching staff has thrown the ball short and counted on the RB/receiver to get the first down.
3) The cupboard is bare in terms of a current tight end that can make a difference is the passing game. I'd argue that the TE has been the primary weapon in the passing game for many years running and the drop off with both NF and TJH departing has proven massive.

And when a RB is in their to Pass protect, he should actually make contact trying to block a Defender.

Not going to name names..........

1) Even with time, Stanley hasn't shown the ability to consistently hit an open receiver, even on short throws.
2) Too many passes behind or just over the line of scrimmage, especially on 3rd down. Even in years with good line play, this coaching staff has thrown the ball short and counted on the RB/receiver to get the first down.
3) The cupboard is bare in terms of a current tight end that can make a difference is the passing game. I'd argue that the TE has been the primary weapon in the passing game for many years running and the drop off with both NF and TJH departing has proven massive.

Since the season started I have wondered if we really have inadequate tight ends or just haven't used them much. Weiting made a couple nice grabs Saturday and Beyer had a nice catch in the Iowa State game and we have hardly seen him since. We'll never have a better blocking tight end than Hockenson and maybe the tight ends have just become caught up in the issues we have on the offensive line this season.

In this offense even average tight ends ought to have more of an impact than we what we have seen so far. So is the issue our current talent at the position or larger schematic, offensive line issues?

Reactions: SDHawkDoc
Are we complaining that the offense is no longer predictable?

Also, they have run 50% more pass plays than run plays the past two weeks, which is not what the philosophy of this team, especially when they are only down 1 score
Well usually when you try to be unpredictable just for the sake of being unpredictable.....it doesn't work out (at least at Iowa).

Of course, you could say that about anything.

Since the season started I have wondered if we really have inadequate tight ends or just haven't used them much. Weiting made a couple nice grabs Saturday and Beyer had a nice catch in the Iowa State game and we have hardly seen him since. We'll never have a better blocking tight end than Hockenson and maybe the tight ends have just become caught up in the issues we have on the offensive line this season.

In this offense even average tight ends ought to have more of an impact than we what we have seen so far. So is the issue our current talent at the position or larger schematic, offensive line issues?
I'm not sure the TE's are even average at this point, but I'd expect them to get better with experience. Hockenson especially seemed to bail out a lot of otherwise ugly plays, while also making some phenomenal catches. It was sure nice being spoiled with the talent that has cycled through at that position. I think moreso than Fant, TJ's departure took the TE position from a major strength to a significant weakness in this year's team. The ugly blocking by the guards hasn't helped much either.

I actually think Brian is trying very hard to do and/or add new wrinkles that interestingly enough that match up with many of the complaints that have been voiced by us. Now we are seeing why being boring and predictable was probably the best choice because we don’t have an identity and in some ways we are not complimenting the way we need to win games.

From a high level there are really two factors that have held us from being at the same level as Wisconsin. The offensive line and running back. We’ve produced or had some studs no doubt but 1-2 stalwarts is counter balanced cross 2-3 average or deficient performers. When I say deficient it might be someone is playing early or lacks experience. Second, we lack big play backs. We had a Wadley and he single handily won games by making something out of nothing. Goodson appears to have ‘IT’ but he’s young.

So many, many folks in our fan base worry so much about receivers when I think instead we should be over recruiting OL and backs. We get a potent running game going, that will do twice as much as throwing to a stud wide out.

Last edited:
It's mystifying to me how a team that wants to be "run first" has so much trouble running the ball. Yes, PSU and Mich had good defenses, but I'm looking more at the last several seasons of a below average running attack.

The explanation of "other teams stack the box" or "they sell out to stop the run" doesn't do it for me. If teams really did that it would seem that Iowa would have more wide open receivers.

I also don't buy "play calling" as a major problem. Poor play calling can explain a bad series, even a bad game - not a bad 5 years.

It must be something about player technique, offensive scheme, blocking scheme, line splits - Iowa used to be able to over-power some teams, even good teams, over the course of a game - no longer it seems.

Whatever it is, it's not going to be fixed this season - it's going to take some new design ideas. Iowa is not going to be able to run against Wisky, but hopefully they will be able to against everyone else.
In my opinion, Brian has been responsible for moving Iowa away from the “establish run to set up the pass” mentality that has long been held at Iowa. It seems like they are increasingly trying to utilize high percentage passes as an extension of the run game. To be frank, I think that BF is trying to run his offense just like the New England Patriots run theirs (probably a result of his time spent there). Between lacking a feature back, to the playcalling, to the “type” of QB Iowa looks for to run the offense, the resemblances are striking.

The only differences? A vastly inferior offensive line and a vastly inferior QB. Just like Brady has done for so many years, (and yes, I am in the group of people who consider Brady to be a product of the fantastic system he plays in) you need to be able to consistently hit the short/intermediate passes to keep drives going. Stanley can’t do that, and the OL doesn’t consistently allow the running game to function against good teams, while also failing to pass block well against good DLines.

I don’t really have an answer either... my only observation is that for Iowa to have success within the type of offense that they run, EVERYBODY needs to be a high quality player, as well as consistent - which is a tough ask at the college level

In my opinion, Brian has been responsible for moving Iowa away from the “establish run to set up the pass” mentality that has long been held at Iowa. It seems like they are increasingly trying to utilize high percentage passes as an extension of the run game. To be frank, I think that BF is trying to run his offense just like the New England Patriots run theirs (probably a result of his time spent there). Between lacking a feature back, to the playcalling, to the “type” of QB Iowa looks for to run the offense, the resemblances are striking.

The only differences? A vastly inferior offensive line and a vastly inferior QB. Just like Brady has done for so many years, (and yes, I am in the group of people who consider Brady to be a product of the fantastic system he plays in) you need to be able to consistently hit the short/intermediate passes to keep drives going. Stanley can’t do that, and the OL doesn’t consistently allow the running game to function against good teams, while also failing to pass block well against good DLines.

I don’t really have an answer either... my only observation is that for Iowa to have success within the type of offense that they run, EVERYBODY needs to be a high quality player, as well as consistent - which is a tough ask at the college level
YES! F*** Tom Brady!! :)

Reactions: unoHawkeye

They have converted a lot of 3rd and long’s this year throwing beyond los.
TE isn’t the reason they aren’t winning.

Last edited:
Bottomline we really need to run the ball better, more effectively. Here is Iowa's rank for yards per rush attempt going back to 2002. We haven't been in the top 50 since 2008. We were in the top 50 4 times between 2002 and 2008.

We were better the 1st 10 years under KF than the 2nd 10 years. Maybe teams know our audibles, blocking schemes and idiosyncrasies by now, idk. In 2002 we had a great OL, a very good RB and the best running QB we've had so that all added up to the best year, 11th in the nation.

Yards Per Rush Attempt
2019 73rd
2018 88th
2017 100th
2016 52nd
2015 59th
2014 76th
2013 77th
2012 99th
2011 72nd
2010 54th
2009 102nd
2008 24th
2007 92nd
2006 51st
2005 22nd
2004 117th
2003 41st
2002 11th

Last edited:
Reactions: Greenway4Prez
Bottomline we really need to run the ball better, more effectively. Here is Iowa's rank for yards per rush attempt going back to 2002. We haven't been in the top 50 since 2008. We were in the top 50 4 times between 2002 and 2008.

We were better the 1st 10 years under KF than the 2nd 10 years. Maybe teams know our audibles, blocking schemes and idiosyncrasies by now, idk. In 2002 we had a great OL, a very good RB and the best running QB we've had so that all added up to the best year, 11th in the nation.

2019 73rd
2018 88th
2017 100th
2016 52nd
2015 59th
2014 76th
2013 77th
2012 99th
2011 72nd
2010 54th
2009 102nd
2008 24th
2007 92nd
2006 51st
2005 22nd
2004 117th
2003 41st
2002 11th

There’s a mix of factors. One interesting side note is Barry Alvarez retired in 2006. After this, we had one more excellent year running the football (2008) and coincidentally our last great RB that year. Wisconsin started another strong run after Barry’s retirement including a ton of great RBs some of which we were in on recruiting wise and lost out on. Our rankings have been very suspect (not below 50) ever since 2006, minus the Shonn Greene year.

Wisconsin has been consistently great since in the 10+ win range many seasons including West titles. We’ve been in the 7-8 win range most years. Better running game is the difference without a doubt and it’s a combination of OL and stud RBs.

Reactions: hwk23

Yards Per Rush Attempt
2019 73rd
2018 88th
2017 100th
2016 52nd
2015 59th
2014 76th
2013 77th
2012 99th
2011 72nd
2010 54th
2009 102nd
2008 24th
2007 92nd
2006 51st
2005 22nd
2004 117th
2003 41st
2002 11th
Zero times in the top FIFTY in the last ten years. How many OL drafted in that time? You don’t need an “elite” back to finish in the top 50 if the blocking is good. The only reason we’re pining for better RB’s is because that’s apparently what we need to make up for poor OL play. Those numbers would be marginally better with better RB’s. They’d still be getting clocked behind the LOS.

Reactions: hwk23
There’s a mix of factors. One interesting side note is Barry Alvarez retired in 2006. After this, we had one more excellent year running the football (2008) and coincidentally our last great RB that year. Wisconsin started another strong run after Barry’s retirement including a ton of great RBs some of which we were in on recruiting wise and lost out on. Our rankings have been very suspect (not below 50) ever since 2006, minus the Shonn Greene year.

Wisconsin has been consistently great since in the 10+ win range many seasons including West titles. We’ve been in the 7-8 win range most years. Better running game is the difference without a doubt and it’s a combination of OL and stud RBs.

Wisconsin is an interesting case because they still run the ball well even though everyone knows it's coming. You would think we could at least get more yards per carry, because we're more balanced, but we can't.

Reactions: And1Hawk

This. So this.

The problem with the running game is that we abandon it at the first sign of trouble.
That's been a disturbing trend for some of our more average teams in close games, regardless of opponent.............

But KF seems to think we're good so everything must be fine!!! :)

giphy.gif

They have converted a lot of 3rd and long’s this year throwing beyond los.
TE isn’t the reason they aren’t winning.
Never said the TE's are the reason they aren't winning. They just aren't as talented as the past several years when TE's were sometimes instrumental in the wins, and on crucial drives. It obviously doesn't help to lose two underclassmen stud TE's to the NFL.

They've may have converted "some" third downs by throwing behind the LOS but not "a lot". And they should against Miami OH), MTSU, and Rutgers. They weren't anything special on 3rd down against ISU and were pathetic against Michigan and PSU.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT