ADVERTISEMENT

The states should decide....

100% personal accountability and responsibility will never exist. Like so many other things from both sides of the aisle, it’s another utopian fantasy that can’t account for the shades of gray in the world. You’re a young buck, maybe someday you’ll grow to realize the “everyone should be like me because I did it right and I got lucky enough for it to work out” isn’t the end all be all standard you should use when considering larger societal issues. Like I said, don’t feel bad…there are many whose world is as tiny as yours.
You act like I did something special and unprecedented. I realize it will never exist but that doesn’t mean we should terminate life. It’s simple.

I don't know how this court would receive a national law allowing abortion during the first trimester.

When the federal government ends up being fiscally responsible for unwanted children, there's a strong case to be made that such a law is completely reasonable.

I'd pass that, along with a law that any child birthed in a state restricting abortions in the first trimester MUST provide welfare services to that child until they are 18 years old, and the federal funds provided to such a state will be removed and paid out to any other state that child moves to until they are 18 years old.

In other words, if an abortion-restrictive state forces the kids to be born, and those parents move to another state, the "state of origin" will end up paying the new state $$ to fund that kid's welfare for the remainder of their childhood. In fact, you could make that policy for every state, regardless of abortion policies: the "state of birth record" is required to provide funding for any welfare needed until the child turns 18. States can adopt policies consistent with their budgets.

You act like I did something special and unprecedented. I realize it will never exist but that doesn’t mean we should terminate life. It’s simple.

On the contrary. You’re one of many, many people that can’t see past their own nose. Very, very ordinary unfortunately.

Maybe I'm not accounting for states saying 20 weeks instead of 15, but I guess I could be more specific.

I think the Democratic position to "codify Wade" as guaranteed access through 9 months is not nearly as mainstream as you think it is, even among democrats. I mean, most European countries are in the 12-20 week range, and I don't normally think of France as a radical Christian theocracy.

I think only the bluest of blue states will guarantee full 9 month access. I think the vast majority of states will pass limits based on weeks, because that's where most people are. Support for unrestricted abortion after 4-5 months is just not that strong.

I would say that the 25 red states will all pass limits at 15 or less weeks. Of the 25 blue states, my guess is that as many of 15 will have limits of 15-20 weeks.

I could be wrong that there will be more states with <15 week bans than will allow 9 month abortion, if 20 weeks ends up being more where it settles.

But my point is, if people care about guaranteeing abortion access in early trimesters, this would be a good deal (if it is really on the table). I would guarantee that the considerable majority of abortions remain legal, which is far from guaranteed without a national deal. It would satisfy neither the pro-choice or pro-life idealists, but it would satisfy 60%+ of the American people.
What makes you think this 15 week ban would guarantee abortion until 15 weeks? I could be wrong but my understanding is this would set a national ban at 15 weeks but states could still have stricter laws.

So we already do more than we should.

LOLWUT?
You just stated that we don't subsidize. We DO.

What we DO NOT do is provide social safety nets for low-income people.
Now, someone who works a low-income job and already has a kid or two, gets pregnant and has pregnancy complications cannot afford to birth the kid, cannot work, and cannot get any medical leave from work or state support. That's what will now happen to lower income folks, even if they don't "want" to get an abortion, they won't have the option in many cases. And who will pay for this? That's right, everyone else.

Reactions: BelemNole
What makes you think this 15 week ban would guarantee abortion until 15 weeks? I could be wrong but my understanding is this would set a national ban at 15 weeks but states could still have stricter laws.
15 weeks is far too short.
Needs to be at least 20, as 24 is typically 'viable'.

Fetal heartbeat laws need to go away, too (like Catholic Ireland), because there is no actual "heart", there's just cells trained to pulse at that point.

LOLWUT?
You just stated that we don't subsidize. We DO.

What we DO NOT do is provide social safety nets for low-income people.
Now, someone who works a low-income job and already has a kid or two, gets pregnant and has pregnancy complications cannot afford to birth the kid, cannot work, and cannot get any medical leave from work or state support. That's what will now happen to lower income folks, even if they don't "want" to get an abortion, they won't have the option in many cases. And who will pay for this? That's right, everyone else.
Maybe we should do something nation wide like the “click it or ticket” but instead it says “If you can’t afford to have children, practice safe sex.”

Maybe I should hone in my “subsidize” comment and say we don’t subsidize to the level that you think it should.

So again, what do you think of the thousands of newborns that will be born now, into extreme poverty, violent homes, into homes that don’t want them, etc.
Maybe we have a discussion as a nation that says abortion can no longer be used as contraception if you live in these states. If you choose to have sex and you get pregnant, it is on you and the father.

I don’t believe murder is justified by socioeconomics.

No; writing off dependents does not "phase out".

There’s more to taxes than just claiming dependents Joey. You evidently don’t have children and have never made significant amounts of annual income in such a way that certain child care related expenditures are phased out from your tax options. Or you’re just being the prickly ol’ you we all know and love! Either way, I won’t be going over the multiple ways high earners lose out. In the end, it doesn’t matter, they can afford it and can afford to do what they want in terms of abortions because they’ll be able to travel. It’s the poors that will be impacted even though they can take every tax advantage (dependent claims + various credits) and social programs. So, as I’m now bored with your version of pedantry, back to the point of the thread…

Maybe we should do something nation wide like the “click it or ticket” but instead it says “If you can’t afford to have children, practice safe sex.”
GOP won't go along with this.

They've pushed to ban or restrict access to birth control - even allowing businesses to "opt out" on insurance coverage for it. They've decided 'for everyone' that the purpose of sex is for procreation, not recreation.

GOP won't go along with this.

They've pushed to ban or restrict access to birth control - even allowing businesses to "opt out" on insurance coverage for it. They've decided 'for everyone' that the purpose of sex is for procreation, not recreation.
They were against making Christians provide contraception through offered insurance, I could be wrong. You can get a pack of condoms for a few bucks at any convenience store. I haven’t heard anyone in the conservative circles say they are against contraception. The purpose of sex is procreation. It always has been. Doesn’t mean it can’t be for recreation but there are inherent risks that come along with that way of thinking. Same with the 2nd amendment. You can keep arms but if you don’t secure your arms and they are used illegally then you will be held accountable.

Those are mutually exclusive happenings in the context of this discussion.
Consider this.

Condition 1:

1,000 total pregnancies
10% aborted, 100 total
100 delivered and unwanted

Condition 2:

2,000 total pregnancies
15% aborted, 300 total
200 delivered and unwanted

Both of the outcomes I stated in my OP (more unwanted children born and higher rate of abortion) occurring simultaneously. That’s all I was saying.

Reactions: SL Hawk Fan
Democrats only have themselves to blame. They had 50 years to do something to codify. Yeah, I know they tried in the last 2 months but too little too late. Should have listened when RBG said it was bad law.
The only reason Ginsburg didn't like Roe was because it didn't secure a woman's choice, left it open for attacking and she was right.

The issue today is all about radical evangelicals on a secular supreme court. In handing it down to the states they're handing down the right to use religion based decisions throughout America.

Republicans are ****ing scum.

Well.....Dicks got them into this position in the first place. Makes sense Dick's would throw in a few $$ to bail 'em out...

The only reason Ginsburg didn't like Roe was because it didn't secure a woman's choice, left it open for attacking and she was right.

The issue today is all about radical evangelicals on a secular supreme court. In handing it down to the states they're handing down the right to use religion based decisions throughout America.

Republicans are ****ing scum.
No they aren’t. They are returning the power to the states. Nothing more, nothing less.

• Haha
But why do YOU get to impose your beliefs on others?
It’s not my beliefs. Engaging in sex can and will result in pregnancy. Wether that is your intention or not means absolutely nothing.

Murder is wrong, we as a society have decided this, and people should plan on the possibility of life if they plan on engaging in sex.

Consider this.

Condition 1:

1,000 total pregnancies
10% aborted, 100 total
100 delivered and unwanted

Condition 2:

2,000 total pregnancies
15% aborted, 300 total
200 delivered and unwanted

Both of the outcomes I stated in my OP (more unwanted children born and higher rate of abortion) occurring simultaneously. That’s all I was saying.
That doesn't make any sense. You can't be upset about this decision under the guise of limited access while simultaneously saying the rate will increase. Nevermind the fact birth rates have steadily been declining. The only way your situation comes to fruition is if access doesn't change and birth rates reverse course.

It’s not my beliefs. Engaging in sex can and will result in pregnancy. Wether that is your intention or not means absolutely nothing.

Murder is wrong, we as a society have decided this, and people should plan on the possibility of life if they plan on engaging in sex.
Murder is wrong, lol. Tell that to the maskless who disrespected social distancing precautions and those who vote for Republicans who legislate pollution which is killing life's source.

Murder, gtfo.

Umm none, hence being constitutional rights. Abortion isn’t in the constitution. This is 5th grade stuff

Uh, the right to bear arms is not in the Constitution. Before you come back, show me.

You have no idea what you’re talking about. How about you interview a range of women when it comes to their reproduction and your view will change rather quickly.
I think I saw a poll that showed women support a ban on 2nd and 3rd trimester abortion with them exception of mothers health

I think I saw a poll that showed women support a ban on 2nd and 3rd trimester abortion with them exception of mothers health

"mother's health" is legally undefined, and means different things to different people.

• For one, it may mean "I'll go to the ER before I'll abort"
  • For another, it may mean "I already have 2 kids, and a difficult pregnancy preventing me from working will bankrupt my family - and I do not want to risk leaving my existing kids orphans if things 'go south' quickly on me"

Why would you want "legislators" imposing those decisions/restricting those options for some people?

ADVERTISEMENT