ADVERTISEMENT

The team with the most money will buy a title

Not shocking......I think the opportunity for Iowa and others is looking over their roster when they are buying players. In other words who gets moved down the depth chart the more money they spend and can you get some of those guys.

Hasn't worked so far at Texas A&M. If all of the stories the last few years are correct, they have been near the top of NIL spending and have absolutely nothing to show for it. Money doesn't beat better coaching and that has been shown time and time again.

With that said, Oregon has both. They have a lot of money and one of the best coaching staffs in football. That's what makes them so formidable.

Hasn't worked so far at Texas A&M. If all of the stories the last few years are correct, they have been near the top of NIL spending and have absolutely nothing to show for it. Money doesn't beat better coaching and that has been shown time and time again.

With that said, Oregon has both. They have a lot of money and one of the best coaching staffs in football. That's what makes them so formidable.
beat me to it, I would say it has had a direct influence on Texas though.

beat me to it, I would say it has had a direct influence on Texas though.
I kinda disagree. Texas has more or less had their pick of more in-state talent to pick from than pretty much any school in the country since forever and they haven't sniffed a championship in 20 years. Top 10 recruiting classes pretty much throughout. The reason for that was poor staffs that couldn't coach all of that talent. Texas is resurgent much moreso because of the staff, not the NIL.

I kinda disagree. Texas has more or less had their pick of more in-state talent to pick from than pretty much any school in the country since forever and they haven't sniffed a championship in 20 years. Top 10 recruiting classes pretty much throughout. The reason for that was poor staffs that couldn't coach all of that talent. Texas is resurgent much moreso because of the staff, not the NIL.
Texas A&M had their picks as is evident by their recruiting classes. Texas also has 15.5 million in 2023 for NIL deals. I really don't want to hear that coaching is the main reason UT rebounded. It is certainly an aspect, but without a doubt it is due to NIL

2021: A&M, #8 recruiting class; Texas, #15
2022: A&M #1; Texas, #5
2023: A&M #15; Texas #3
2024: A&M #19, Texas #6

Reactions: desihawk
Texas A&M had their picks as is evident by their recruiting classes. Texas also has 15.5 million in 2023 for NIL deals. I really don't want to hear that coaching is the main reason UT rebounded. It is certainly an aspect, but without a doubt it is due to NIL

2021: A&M, #8 recruiting class; Texas, #15
2022: A&M #1; Texas, #5
2023: A&M #15; Texas #3
2024: A&M #19, Texas #6
You might not want to hear it, but it's true. With the exception of the Charlie Strong years, Texas had top recruiting classes almost every year but it didn't matter. Texas recruiting classes in 5 years before NIL.

2016 6
2017 26
2018 3
2019 3
2020 9

Highest AP finish 2016-2022 was 9th in 2018 which was the highest in 23 years of stellar recruiting.

In Sarkisian's 3rd year they finished 3rd. He's the difference at Texas.

Frankly, this isn’t that much different than what has been occurring for a long time. It’s just new players in the arena, playing with a lot more money. Ruin college football? Depending on your point of view, some would argue it’s been “ruined” for awhile. I don’t know about “ruin”, but things are changing/will change.

I’m not all that confident in those who are in charge that the changes will be good for the game; they don’t have the greatest track record up to now.

As long as I have Saturdays in the fall to watch the Hawkeyes, I’ll get by.

Reactions: Beattheohiostate
You might not want to hear it, but it's true. With the exception of the Charlie Strong years, Texas had top recruiting classes almost every year but it didn't matter. Texas recruiting classes in 5 years before NIL.

2016 6
2017 26
2018 3
2019 3
2020 9

Highest AP finish 2016-2022 was 9th in 2018 which was the highest in 23 years of stellar recruiting.

In Sarkisian's 3rd year they finished 3rd. He's the difference at Texas.
They wouldn't have Ewers without NIL money, Worthy was absolutely paid to roll over his decommitment from Michigan, Mitchell getting paid via transfer from Georgia. The list goes on and on, NIL is the difference at Texas, it is the same with their basketball program. The Big12 was a weak conference, and I would put large amount of money they don't make the playoffs this year. Sark was garbage at USC, drinking problem or not.

They wouldn't have Ewers without NIL money, Worthy was absolutely paid to roll over his decommitment from Michigan, Mitchell getting paid via transfer from Georgia. The list goes on and on, NIL is the difference at Texas, it is the same with their basketball program. The Big12 was a weak conference, and I would put large amount of money they don't make the playoffs this year. Sark was garbage at USC, drinking problem or not.
Agree to disagree. History suggests otherwise.

The highest spending teams haven't been able to buy championships in pro sports very often. There are so many other factors involved in winning. Sure, you have to have a good deal of talent, but that's only the beginning. There are plenty of ways to screw it up along the way, and most teams do. I wouldn't spend too much time worrying about it. If you must worry, worry about the guy who wants to be the American Putin . . .

Reactions: Iron Doc
It will make it difficult for the next tier teams and wanna bees that were always hovering at 10-20 or so in the rankings.

The highest spending teams haven't been able to buy championships in pro sports very often. There are so many other factors involved in winning. Sure, you have to have a good deal of talent, but that's only the beginning. There are plenty of ways to screw it up along the way, and most teams do. I wouldn't spend too much time worrying about it. If you must worry, worry about the guy who wants to be the American Putin . . .
Not sure. What were the average recruiting rankings of the natty winners for say the last 20 years? Strong correlation.

Which teams has come from nowhere to compete at a high level since NIL started ?

Also has anybody went from the elite to the crapper because of NIL?

only thing that has changed is players getting the money instead of athletic departments.

Why college football will die.
Well it has always sort of been this way but before it was illegal money in a brown paper bad. And teams like Auburn would illegally pay that top QB, cant even remember his name but he was not a great character, Ohio St would let players make tattoo money and steal and sell football equipment etc, etc, etc.

And there was lot's of talk and maybe evidence of Evy paying kids like Karras to play at Iowa, the rumors and stories are there.

Well it has always sort of been this way but before it was illegal money in a brown paper bad. And teams like Auburn would illegally pay that top QB, cant even remember his name but he was not a great character, Ohio St would let players make tattoo money and steal and sell football equipment etc, etc, etc.

And there was lot's of talk and maybe evidence of Evy paying kids like Karras to play at Iowa, the rumors and stories are there.
Yep. It has always existed. Now it will exist like wildfire. No holding back.

Reactions: uihawk82
No. It will widen the gap further. There are no limits now, before you had to be somewhat discreet.

The gap was already massive.

Since the Big 10 went to West/East divisions in 2014 OSU has a 77-7 in conference record. I mean it could get bigger, but not realistically.

If you could buy titles the Yankees would win the World Series every year. How’s that working out?

I'm not going to act like I know the correct legal terms but they need to use a salary cap to pay athletes per school. That's the only way to keep the gap from widening.

Reactions: chuck285
10 PLAYERS ARE ALLOWED TO MAKE MORE THAN $100K
1 player - has no limit to NIL earnings. True, capitalistic free agency.
2 players - can make $1m per year (and no more)
3 players - can make $500K per year
4 players - can make $250K per year
All other players - max of $100K per year

Programs can choose how they determine their NIL10. Save a few spots for top recruits. Use all 10 spots to keep top sophs/juniors/etc.

I know this is ridiculous and would never happen, but would be a strategic way of trying to control the chaos.

10 PLAYERS ARE ALLOWED TO MAKE MORE THAN $100K
1 player - has no limit to NIL earnings. True, capitalistic free agency.
2 players - can make $1m per year (and no more)
3 players - can make $500K per year
4 players - can make $250K per year
All other players - max of $100K per year

Programs can choose how they determine their NIL10. Save a few spots for top recruits. Use all 10 spots to keep top sophs/juniors/etc.

I know this is ridiculous and would never happen, but would be a strategic way of trying to control the chaos.
It does bring forth an issue that few seem to be talking about. There has to be some resentment between the 50th guy (backup offensive lineman) on scholarship that's getting little or nothing and a star QB who's getting over a Mill.

Reactions: Iron Doc
I'm not going to act like I know the correct legal terms but they need to use a salary cap to pay athletes per school. That's the only way to keep the gap from widening.
I don't particularly have an issue with this statement. Seems reasonable . But it won't work. I think back to when paying players wasn't allowed and it happened anyway.
My point? Salary caps ... transfer limits ... academic requirements ... etc etc etc. None of it matters anymore. We're living in the age of moral relativity. There is no one to look up to because it is the worst of us in charge of ALL OF US.

Reactions: ButtersHawk
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT