ADVERTISEMENT

The "Threat to Democracy" Slogan Not Working

Adding Justices happened often and we are long overdue in adding more.
Yes DC and PR should be States if Idaho and Wyoming are. Yes on Nationalizing Elections to prevent corrupt red hell hole states from their BS and Yes, the Filibuster is a disgrace and needs to go.
So a power grab if the D’s get a couple more Senate seats and keep the house. Seems like a threat to Democracy 😂

Split government sounds good…

Reactions: Panic1769
The fear is that Republicans have shown that they're willing to do everything possible to change rules so that they can maintain control even if they don't have the votes to win. We see this with all the pushes to allow legislatures to simply assign who they want as President regardless of what the votes in their state say,
Dude nobody is saying that. Step away from the cable news and get new people to follow on Twitter.

So a power grab if the D’s get a couple more Senate seats and keep the house. Seems like a threat to Democracy 😂

Split government sounds good…
An actual threat vs the boogeyman they have imagined.

These same people still think Trump was being blackmailed by Putin.

Dude nobody is saying that. Step away from the cable news and get new people to follow on Twitter.
There's literally a case going to the Supreme Court right now to grant state legislatures the right to do so and barring their own state courts from having any interference. Now one would hope the Supreme Court would bat this down, but it's certainly something that could happen.

Reactions: WDSMHAWK
Not really. The Democrats have pushed many anti-democratic measures.
  • Adding Justices to Supreme Court - Done numerous times in the past
  • Abolishing the Electoral College - Why shouldn't the candidate that gets the most votes win.
  • Adding Washington DC and Puerto Rico as states so they can get more senators - Pretty sure there would be elections where Republicans can be elected to Congress.
  • Nationalizing elections - People should have the same accessibility to vote whether they live in Iowa or New York.
  • Abolishing the filibuster - Relic of the Jim Crow era.

None of these proposals are even bad, and don't even come close to anti-democratic

A dress rehearsal for what? Give us a prediction, or predictions for what you think is going to happen.

First, Trump gets the GOP nomination. Second, he loses in similar fashion to last time. This time, however, several states controlled by GOP legislators refuse to certify the results and name their own electors. This is particularly likely in states where MAGATS take control of the Secretary of State office.

After that it is anybody’s guess, but it would be a massive constitutional crisis, and doubtless the carnage we saw on 1/6 will seem quaint.

Will Trump end up as President in that scenario? I don’t know. And neither do you. And that should be enough to strike fear into your heart. Further, this scenario isn’t just a possibility, it is the GOP’s plan, and is only marginally worse than what we saw last time.

The data is still behind the paywall. I think Tom Paris or Chis might have a subscription to the NYT poll and could post all the data. There could be more nuggets in there ... I only have what the NYT teased out to other news agencies. The second link from Mediaite has some of the data if you scroll down.
Eat shit.

Dude all the Dems have is breathless hyperbole. Threats to democracy! Traitors! Overturning elections! None of it is backed up by any facts at all. Just peruse this board on any given day. It's hilarious except for the fact that some actually believe it.

Meanwhile Dems barely failed this year to abolish the filibuster in an attempt to ram through the Freedom to Vote Act, which would have usurped the states' authority to administer their own elections. You know, an actual threat to democracy.
No. We actually listen to what the assholes you vote for are saying.

Reactions: franklinman
This past January. They wanted to abolish the filibuster to push through their Freedom to Vote Act just this past January but Sinema and Manchin wouldn't go along with it.

Like most people I am all over the map politically based on the issues, but no doubt I am a conservative.
Why are you afraid of the right to vote act?

“Registered voters” are idiots! Anyone who understands and appreciates this nTion’s History knows that the FF believed that the key to the government they invented was a knowledgible and informed public....and a FREE and independent press is responsible for this needed ingredient.
“Registered voters” want the news they want to hear....not the news as it. It happens,
That explains why the Dems put the 1/6 hearings on MSNBC during prime time. So they could get the free TV campaign advertising out to their idiots.

Dems should really demand a refund from the consultant who came up with this idea.

A new NY Times/Sienna poll ...

1) Among registers voters .... they view Democrats as a bigger threat to democracy than Republicans ... 33% to 28%.

2) Among registered voters, the Media is seen as bigger threat to democracy than Electoral College, Supreme Court, Biden or Trump.

I'm guessing that you're not working either.

Probably on disability, of some sort.

Reactions: Tom Paris
In every instance it’s a power grab, intended to marginalize their political opposition. You like it because you wear their jersey.

Lol at power grab. If you are scared a political party will be marginalized if/when we move away from the tyranny of the minority to a truer form of democracy, that should tell you all you need to know about that party and their ideas.

But since your wearing their jersey, you would rather keep this broken system in place rather than give the people in this country a stronger voice.

Lol at power grab. If you are scared a political party will be marginalized if/when we move away from the tyranny of the minority to a truer form of democracy, that should tell you all you need to know about that party and their ideas.

But since your wearing their jersey, you would rather keep this broken system in place rather than give the people in this country a stronger voice.
Right…truer form of democracy. I guess you’ll still be in favor of extra Supreme Court judges in three years when President DeSantis has a Senate majority? He can also split Illinois into two states, North and South?

• Love
Reactions: INXS83
Right…truer form of democracy. I guess you’ll still be in favor of extra Supreme Court judges in three years when President DeSantis has a Senate majority? He can also split Illinois into two states, North and South?

By any definition of the term, election by popular vote is true democracy, and the electoral college is not. You can’t simply claim that anything that works in your favor is democractic and anything else is not.

Well, obviously you can. But you look dumb.

The majority of voters who actually swing elections never really pay attention to anything other than the economy. It takes a lot to swing them to look past the economy. So I'm not surprised that the majority of swing voters are pretty much uninformed about anything that's happening. Trump made everybody so uncomfortable that they did look past the economy last time and voted for sanity to return. And Biden has done a good job of that, and without Republicans in charge anywhere, they haven't really been able to make enough noise to get people uncomfortable again. So I fully expect most voters to simply look at their wallet and say thing's cost more so let's give the other side a chance.

There's about 60% who really pay attention, they're they're so entrenched to their side that it would take something massive to ever move them. So we essentially run to the middle 30-40% who remain.

The fear is that Republicans have shown that they're willing to do everything possible to change rules so that they can maintain control even if they don't have the votes to win. We see this with all the pushes to allow legislatures to simply assign who they want as President regardless of what the votes in their state say, and the push to gerrymander state legislatures to always back one side. BUT, the majority of swing voters don't look at this or if they do, they don't really consider it too deeply. Republicans are counting on this. We have to hope that our courts and systems can't be overthrown that easily, but I'm beginning to lose hope.

As a white heterosexual male I'll be fine. But I have a lot of fear for many of my friends in more fringe groups.
Fringe groups?

By any definition of the term, election by popular vote is true democracy, and the electoral college is not. You can’t simply claim that anything that works in your favor is democractic and anything else is not.

Well, obviously you can. But you look dumb.
The country is organized into 50 states for very wise and democratic reasons. Granting more power to the federal government only makes the government less responsive to the will of the people and easier for the tyrannical to subdue the liberties of the people.

Republicans already used shady politics to get 2 judges confirmed during Trump's stint in the White House. I'm not sure why you think I'd be surprised that they would do another "power grab" when it comes to SCOTUS.

Also the Illinois thing makes no sense. Adding DC or Puerto Rico would simply be giving those residents representation in the Federal Government. You know the whole "no taxation without representation" thing we fought a Revolution over.

Republicans already used shady politics to get 2 judges confirmed during Trump's stint in the White House. I'm not sure why you think I'd be surprised that they would do another "power grab" when it comes to SCOTUS.

Also the Illinois thing makes no sense. Adding DC or Puerto Rico would simply be giving those residents representation in the Federal Government. You know the whole "no taxation without representation" thing we fought a Revolution over.
DC is not a state by design. The idea is that any state that held the national capital would hold disproportionate power over the other states.

Puerto Rico kind of has the best of both worlds and doesn’t show a lot of interest in becoming a state. Literally the only reason it was being discussed was to make it more difficult for the Republicans to take control of the senate.

Reactions: INXS83
DC is not a state by design. The idea is that any state that held the national capital would hold disproportionate power over the other states.

Puerto Rico kind of has the best of both worlds and doesn’t show a lot of interest in becoming a state. Literally the only reason it was being discussed was to make it more difficult for the Republicans to take control of the senate.
Please do at least a modicum of research on Puerto Ricans’ interest in statehood before making such a statement.

Always love the superdeclarative “literally” statements.

Literally the only reason. Literally, only. With republicans the victim.

What a lens through which to “think”.

I bet those PRs are enjoying the fact many still have no dependable source of electricity from a hurricane that moved thru a years or so ago.Is that part of having “the best of both worlds” that you speak of?

It's amazing how much money Republicans have dumped into these elections. Almost like they are getting funding from someplace else. Like, something that might make Republicans take an active role in denying Ukraine aid. I wonder who might stand to gain from a policy like that. Hmmm....
Lol

Dems should really demand a refund from the consultant who came up with this idea.

A new NY Times/Sienna poll ...

1) Among registers voters .... they view Democrats as a bigger threat to democracy than Republicans ... 33% to 28%.

The registered voters who feel democracy is under threat in the net feel Republicans are a greater threat than Democrats. 67% to 63%. The percentage that is quoted is the article and you listed it as a "major threat".
The respondents on almost every topic went party lines, the primary variable was independents.

The cross tabs have useful information, basing whether the slogan is a complete failure based on the responses of 584 people ( 71% of total respondents) seems shortsighted, but an interesting talking point I guess

ADVERTISEMENT