ADVERTISEMENT

The Time Traveler's Wife - the HBO TV Series vs the Book and the Movie

Nov 28, 2010
Maryland
Just a public service announcement.

If you plan to read the book or watch the movie, DO NOT watch even the first episode of the TV series.

I'm not saying they made a mistake to reveal so much right up front, but I am saying that if you know what you learn by the end of the first TV episode, the trajectory, pace, and enjoyment of the novel and movie could be greatly harmed.

That said, I'm not sure that the reveal was a mistake for those who never plan to read the book or watch the movie. It just suggests that the TV folks will be telling the story quite differently. Who knows, maybe different in many ways, and maybe even better. Time will tell.

If you aren't planning to read the book or watch the movie, definitely give the TV show a try. The first episode is terrific. Except for not enough nudity by the female lead (whom you will recognize as the "you know nothing Jon Snow" character from Game of Thrones).

Reactions: Tom Paris
Never read the books but some of the anger I have seen of fans about the show remind me of how I sounded after Wheel of Time debacle. Sounds like they changed a lot, including how the two main characters get along.

Never read the books but some of the anger I have seen of fans about the show remind me of how I sounded after Wheel of Time debacle. Sounds like they changed a lot, including how the two main characters get along.
Other than the reveal at the end of epi 1, I didn't see that much difference.

I mean I've read the book and watched the movie, so for me it only means they will be telling at least some of the story differently. Which isn't necessarily a bad thing - although dicking around too much with a good thing is risky.

I have no reason to think the departures will be as massive as they were for Wheel of Time. That's my favorite fantasy saga of all time and the revisions were really hard to take. But after rewatching the first season, I made my mental adjustment and I'm looking forward to season 2. I still worry that they will cut out too much of what I consider essential.

WoT was a eight gazillion page epic, so you knew it would be hard. Not the case with Time Traveler's Wife. Tricky material, but not too much to handle.

The 2nd TTW episode should let us know if they know what they are doing.

The 2nd episode was excellent.

If you aren't planning to watch the movie or read the book, definitely check out this series. And that includes those of us who have already read the book or watched the movie. The differences are very well done.

Reactions: Tom Paris
***Spoilers, I guess*** or maybe not. Continue at your own risk.

I vaguely remember seeing the movie, and I'll never read the novel. I do remember wondering what female fantasy the story fulfills. Is it attaining the unattainable man? Is it a Freudian/Oedipal father fantasy? I don't really understand the appeal of the premise. And I thought it was more than a little creepy that the guy met his wife when she was a child and he was an adult.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT