ADVERTISEMENT

the tipping point

pondscum

All-Conference
Gold Member
Jun 18, 2011
anyone else "worried" that this game could be the tipping point for the season? Lose the game with a bad offense and I think they will need to re-group and make some changes like a new QB. If they stick with what hasn't been working the D will be fine but the O might just mail it in. I hate to say but these two teams seem to be going in opposite directions. I think Ill. will win but pray they do not

anyone else "worried" that this game could be the tipping point for the season? Lose the game with a bad offense and I think they will need to re-group and make some changes like a new QB. If they stick with what hasn't been working the D will be fine but the O might just mail it in. I hate to say but these two teams seem to be going in opposite directions. I think Ill. will win but pray they do not
Long and short....NO tipping point game. Petras stays the #1 guy all season. We will get through the season somehow.

i could buy that. but if the offense delivers, the ineffective offensive scheme narrative will take a big hit. the storyline will be that loss of almost the entire receiving corps combined with raw OL caused massive impact and the return of some playmakers plus live game experience is all that was needed.

i could buy that. but if the offense delivers, the ineffective offensive scheme narrative will take a big hit. the storyline will be that loss of almost the entire receiving corps combined with raw OL caused massive impact and the return of some playmakers plus live game experience is all that was needed.
agree trying not to be doom and gloom

Reactions: ClarindaA's
Great post. For me, this week's game is very significant. If the Hawks drop this one to Illinois it will be a very long bye week which would lead to media speculation and then you have a trip to Columbus on deck. This game is of huge importance. This game is a chance at a pick me up having lost to Iowa State at home.

This weekend will be our best chance to win a game on the road. Probably looking at being a touchdown underdog or more with every other road game.

Never worried because it's just a game.

As for tipping point theory, maybe but not in the way the OP describes. KF won't make changes at QB. Doesn't matter what the qb1 performance is in game. As long as he practices well. The O is going to keep on keeping on in the way they are.

It is unlikely Kirk makes a QB change, unless Petras gets injured.

But I agree this game could be the tipping point….either way….for how the rest of the season plays out.
Yep. Saturday is a must-win/no excuses game for Iowa.

2/3 of the team could break their legs getting off the bus in Champaign and they could replace them with kids from the local Boys Ranch who have never played football before, and it would still be unacceptable to lose on Saturday.

I will be taking no excuses or apologies from Kirk, the players, or the fans.

Hope that helps in their decision on whether or not to play like dog sh** this weekend!!! :D

Oh and if you think that's demanding, well lololol.........wait until the Purdue game.

Well, I've been a Hawkeye fan for over 70 years to the best of my recollection. Love the Hawks and I still have hope but I'm pretty sure Illinois is going to squash us flat. I'd love a win but I don't see it happening.

I assume by "tipping point" you guys are thinking that Ferentz will change quarterbacks if we lose. Ain't Gonna Happen. As long as Spencer can crawl outta bed on game day, he will start. As long as he's alive, he will start. AND play the whole game. Tipping point isn't even on the shelf.

Well, I've been a Hawkeye fan for over 70 years to the best of my recollection. Love the Hawks and I still have hope but I'm pretty sure Illinois is going to squash us flat. I'd love a win but I don't see it happening.

I assume by "tipping point" you guys are thinking that Ferentz will change quarterbacks if we lose. Ain't Gonna Happen. As long as Spencer can crawl outta bed on game day, he will start. As long as he's alive, he will start. AND play the whole game. Tipping point isn't even on the shelf.
It’s gotten to the point now where it is absolutely comical that Padilla has not taken any snaps….it is like KF is saying; ‘F you fans, I call the shots!’ It’s also a shame that the Iowa media had no balls to ask him the hard questions about his son steering our Offense into being one the worst IN ALL of college football…again.😕

I agree that this game could be a tipping point, but not for there to be changes made, but instead for the team to absolutely fall apart. If the offense is awful once again (especially with SP taking every snap), and another long winning streak ends in ugly fashion, that locker room is gonna start having problems, and KF may completely lose the team…

Hope you are right but just sort of doubt it guess only a few days until we get some sense of it

5o0pz2.jpg

I agree that this game could be a tipping point, but not for there to be changes made, but instead for the team to absolutely fall apart. If the offense is awful once again (especially with SP taking every snap), and another long winning streak ends in ugly fashion, that locker room is gonna start having problems, and KF may completely lose the team…
Well that's when changes will be made.....

Reactions: pondscum
This is basically my take.

I think this is a pivotal game in the sense that a loss puts us at 3-4 overall and 1-3 in the B1G (assuming the inevitable blowout loss in the Shoe), and that negative momentum could spiral into a 4-8 type season.

An upset road win over the hottest team in the West could be enough of a boost to keep morale and confidence up and hope alive for a decent finish (maybe 7-5, outside shot at 8-4).

Reactions: LaQuintaHawkeye
The offense showed signs of life in the 2nd half last week. Maybe by seasons end the running game could be up to Iowa standards. Barely a faint pulse on the passing game.

I don’t know about tipping point for us, but possibly for Illinois.

Go back to 2010. Iowa was beating Wisconsin, Wisconsin has the ball in their territory on 4th and 4 to go, they go for a fake punt, gain a bunch of yards, score a TD on the drive, and win the game. Everyone points to that game, and that particular fake punt as the tipping point in the Iowa Wisconsin rivalry. They‘ve effectively dominated us since that play. And a big reason for that was their coach for the first part of that stretch..

Now Illinois comes in having been so far in Iowa’s rear view mirror for so long that they are an afterthought. But look who their coach is now and how he’s gotten them playing so far this year. This could be a program changing opportunity for them that springboards to success for the future. With the unrest in Wisconsin and Nebraska, Purdue and NW doing the same stuff they always do, plus Iowa seemingly playing like it is the 1970s or earlier, only Minny and Illinois seem to be on the ascension in the West currently, and Minny may still be smoke and mirrors.

Go back to 2010. Iowa was beating Wisconsin, Wisconsin has the ball in their territory on 4th and 4 to go, they go for a fake punt, gain a bunch of yards, score a TD on the drive, and win the game. Everyone points to that game, and that particular fake punt as the tipping point in the Iowa Wisconsin rivalry. They‘ve effectively dominated us since that play. And a big reason for that was their coach for the first part of that stretch..

Now Illinois comes in having been so far in Iowa’s rear view mirror for so long that they are an afterthought. But look who their coach is now and how he’s gotten them playing so far this year. This could be a program changing opportunity for them that springboards to success for the future. With the unrest in Wisconsin and Nebraska, Purdue and NW doing the same stuff they always do, plus Iowa seemingly playing like it is the 1970s or earlier, only Minny and Illinois seem to be on the ascension in the West currently, and Minny may still be smoke and mirrors.
I agree it's a tipping point game for Illinois far more than Iowa.

I stated last week that Bielema knows that beating the two perennial top dogs in the B1G West- Wisconsin and Iowa- in back-to-back weeks would make a monster statement for his program. I still believe that. I think Bielema is building something strong in Champaign.

Make no doubt about it-- there are those out there thinking this year could be the changing of the guard in the West as Minnesota and Illinois replaces Wisconsin and Iowa.

I don't think so. I think this game is probably the difference between 6-6 or 7-5.
It's a bit of a cop out, but it's still too early to know.

At a minimum, any shot Iowa would have of winning the West would be done with a loss at Illinois. If Hawks lose to Illinois, following the bye and the OSU game it would be 3-4 with games against Purdue, Wisconsin, Minnesota, Northwestern, Nebraska. Probably favored against Northwestern and Nebraska. Would they get to 6 wins in that scenario? Maybe.

A win and then Iowa after OSU game is 4-3 and 2-2 in Big 10 and still a factor in the West.

Illinois has two of the top 5 pass rushers in the conference for QB hurries. We have an immobile QB and a subpar OL

In case you thought we’d emphasize the run instead, recall that Wisconsin had 2 yards rushing last week against the Illini

That pretty much sets the scene for what I expect to happen this Saturday

I don't know which loss was more sickening. The Wisconsin game in which Ferentz couldn't figure out a fake punt was coming, or, the 2009 Ohio State game where Ferentz didn't want to try to win the game with about 40 seconds left in regulation. Instead, he did nothing but chew gum and let it go into overtime and let Ohio State win. We might see a repeat of that kind of incompetence this weekend.

Reactions: bowlhawk and wxhawk
If Illinois beats us hard not to be really pissed. If BB can be on the job for just over a year and beats Chryst and KF what does that all mean? Whatever it is it doesn't speak well for either program

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT