ADVERTISEMENT

The Top 20 Big Ten Hoopers in 20 Days - No Keegan?

Lighting Hawk

HR MVP
Sep 16, 2021
Andy Katz put together a list of who he thinks are the top 20 ballers in the B1G in 2021.

Here's the list:

1. Kofi Cockburn ILL
2. Trayce Jackson Davis IND
3. EJ Liddell OSU
4. Hunter Dickinson MICH
5. Jaden Ivey PUR
6. Trevion Williams PUR
7. Ron Harper Jr. RUT
8. Andre Curbelo ILL
9. Geo Baker RUT
10. Zach Edey PUR
11. Brad Davidson WISC
12. Eric Ayala MARY
13. Trey McGowens NEB
14. Eli Brooks MICH
15. Qudus Wahab MARY
16. Jordan Bohannon IOWA
17. Trent Frazier ILL
18. Chase Audige NU
19. Fatts Russell MARY
20. Gabe Brown MSU

Seems to be primarily based on stat production - how many mpg, ppg, RPG, APG, eFG%, 3PT%, etc. Hard to argue, but the list seems to be leaving out a few big names, and I think it's because they haven't had the primary scoring options. There are other reason's too, but I thought I'd post this to get a good discussion going and it'd be fun with Bball tipping off officially tomorrow!

*Also I do think it's important I state this is simply a list put together by an analyst that his opinions hold no real bearing on who the top players in the B1G are... but it's fun to use it to discuss!

I'll start off with some things I feel are worth noting or discussing:

- Top 4 players are all bigs - we are definitely lacking in that department.
- Ron Harper was pretty poor for 75% of the season. had a few games later on he did pretty well, but started off extremely hot then dropped off big. his 3pt % was down and the rest of his stats were almost identical to the year before while averaging about 10mpg more. he could be poised for a big year - but thought #7 was high IMO.
- I'd argue Keegan deserves a spot (just as much as Jbo) his stats weren't glamorous enough to include him IMO. He's a potential first-round draft pick next year and just turned 21. he's not peaked yet. He does it all and is the only guy I can remember in the last decade with a first-round draft associated with his name (Wiesy and Garza never surpassed 2nd round potential as great as they are).
- Fatts Russell, Qudus Wahab both were productive in the Atlantic 10 and Big East, I'm curious about how they will translate to the big ten in new systems.
- There's a ton of names that you could argue to add onto this list, but I'm really curious who you guys think should be on who was left out of this list, and who doesn't deserve to be on this list?
- Who do you think is the most under-the-radar player in the B1G this year?

Last edited:
Reactions: iabcuda
Here's the list:

1. Kofi Cockburn ILL
2. Trayce Jackson Davis IND
3. EJ Liddell OSU
4. Hunter Dickinson MICH
5. Jaden Ivey PUR
6. Trevion Williams PUR
7. Ron Harper Jr. RUT
8. Andre Curbelo ILL
9. Geo Baker RUT
10. Zach Edey PUR
11. Brad Davidson WISC
12. Eric Ayala MARY
13. Trey McGowens NEB
14. Eli Brooks MICH
15. Qudus Wahab MARY
16. Jordan Bohannon IOWA
17. Trent Frazier ILL
18. Chase Audige NU
19. Fatts Russell MARY
20. Gabe Brown MSU

Seems to be primarily based on stat production - how many mpg, ppg, RPG, APG, eFG%, 3PT%, etc. Hard to argue, but the list seems to be leaving out a few big names, and I think it's because they haven't had the primary scoring options. There are other reason's too, but I thought I'd post this to get a good discussion going and it'd be fun with Bball tipping off officially tomorrow!

*Also I do think it's important I state this is simply a list put together by an analyst that his opinions hold no real bearing on who the top players in the B1G are... but it's fun to use it to discuss!

I'll start off with some things I feel are worth noting or discussing:

- Ron Harper was pretty poor for 75% of the season. had a few games later on he did pretty well, but started off extremely hot then dropped off big. his 3pt % was down and the rest of his stats were almost identical to the year before while averaging about 10mpg more. he could be poised for a big year - but thought #7 was high IMO.
- I'd argue Keegan deserves a spot (just as much as Jbo) his stats weren't glamorous enough to include him IMO. He's a potential first-round draft pick next year and just turned 21. he's not peaked yet. He does it all and is the only guy I can remember in the last decade with a first-round draft associated with his name (Wiesy and Garza never surpassed 2nd round potential as great as they are).
- Fatts Russell, Qudus Wahab both were productive in the Atlantic 10 and Big East, I'm curious about how they will translate to the big ten in new systems.
- There's a ton of names that you could argue to add onto this list, but I'm really curious who you guys think should be on who was left out of this list, and who doesn't deserve to be on this list?
- Who do you think is the most under-the-radar player in the B1G this year?
Well TJD and Liddell are not traditional bigs. more athletic guys like Keegan. Liddell works inside but he's not a Cofi or Dickenson type post. I believe Keegan was named pre season all BIG at least in the top 10 players so, there you go......

Reactions: Hawkeyes4Life32
Well TJD and Liddell are not traditional bigs. more athletic guys like Keegan. Liddell works inside but he's not a Cofi or Dickenson type post. I believe Keegan was named pre season all BIG at least in the top 10 players so, there you go......
Agree. I'd say TJD is more traditional, since he isn't a stretch and plays more in the pick n roll, than a stretch 4 or 5. But E.J. can shoot from the outside and bang down low while being undersized.

Keegan being pre-season all B1G would be even more of a reason to include him in this list. But there's an argument for many names to be included on this list that aren't!

Short-sighted list. Keegan should be on it.

Best thing is he'll be on better lists at the end of the year when it counts.
I can see him being a first team All Con guy. He’s at the center of an under the radar team high scoring fast paced offense.. and he plays hard on both ends of the floor.

Reactions: BBHawk

There are also no real "dominant" guards....some good ones...but this might be just as good of an omen for us as it is a bad omen with the lack of someone to counter Kofi and Dickenson.

We hear repeatedly that the college game is a guards game.......this is a big IF...but IF Joe, AU, and Tony develop the way we would hope...this team "could" be better than expected.

There are also no real "dominant" guards....some good ones...but this might be just as good of an omen for us as it is a bad omen with the lack of someone to counter Kofi and Dickenson.

We hear repeatedly that the college game is a guards game.......this is a big IF...but IF Joe, AU, and Tony develop the way we would hope...this team "could" be better than expected.
I know, very odd there’s no Ayo, or Cassius… I really hope they can. None of them are really proven shooters. They are all solid slashers and can knock down free throws which was actually an issue for our guards/wings, besides JBo. If any of them can develop a shot to their repertoire, we’d be looking really good.

Reactions: perryhawk
He’s one of only 2 B10 guys who’s a lock for the first round between him and Houstan. Ivey could be a first rounder, but I could also see that not happening potentially.

There were just too many people overthinking his game in the off-season. Katz among them.

• Haha
Reactions: cheddarwurst
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT