ADVERTISEMENT

The tragedy of John Roberts

THE_DEVIL

HR King
Aug 16, 2005
Hell, Michigan
www.livecoinwatch.com
As Roberts, 67, begins his 18th term, he is an at times isolated and even tragic figure. Roberts wanted to be at the helm of a court that was more often unanimous than splintered; now it is cleaved, 6-3, along hardened ideological lines. Roberts wanted to help shore up the court’s institutional standing; instead, he has watched it plunge in public esteem, helpless to prevent the fall.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opin...9.BCFy5POZjWP6VapeeD6XRKzsQLEExMpnhLCtm5TJZa8

True, though. Trump is a walking disaster. He sucks at business, marriage, being a father, politics. He fvcks up everything he gets involved in. I can't think of one thing he makes better.

He has two skills at which he is world class - stealing and showmanship/propaganda

Reactions: Huey Grey
That’s rich coming from two political partisans like you.
It's true though.

Once upon a time (as in, pre-Trump), Republican presidents had no trouble finding conservatives to the SC while simultaneously declaring there would be "no litmus test" on abortion or other hot-button issues.

Then came Trump, who, in a deal to secure the support of evangelicals and Christo-Fascist Papists, openly declared he would *only* appoint a judge to the SC if they were in favor of forced-births. To prove this, Trump turned the selection of Federal judges over to the self-admitted extremist group the Federalist Society, who like to declare that we should live by the same societal rules as someone born in 1750.

Mitch McConnell gleefully abetted this scheme by ending the filibuster for SC judges, and by shortening debate for other Federal judgeships from 30 hours to 2, thus ensuring that 1/3 of our court system is occupied by judges that openly declare their opposition to precedent and equality before the law.

I give you the SCOTUS ideology. As you see, Roberts and Kavanaugh are very centric. Barret and Gorsuch are only slightly right. All four are more moderate than any of the three on the left. Alito is out there on the right with Thomas in La La Land, but Sotomayor says hold my beer cuz I’m a bat shit crazy ass put Portland to shame type Justice. Obviously this omits Jackson.

1643225889561.png

Reactions: Hawkman34
True, though. Trump is a walking disaster. He sucks at business, marriage, being a father, politics. He fvcks up everything he gets involved in. I can't think of one thing he makes better.
And he single handedly created an attorney shortage.

Take all partisanship out the equation. From a legal standpoint, we are getting f'd. Stare Decisis is gone and SCOTUS nominees get to lie under oath.

I give you the SCOTUS ideology. As you see, Roberts and Kavanaugh are very centric. Barret and Gorsuch are only slightly right. All four are more moderate than any of the three on the left. Alito is out there on the right with Thomas in La La Land, but Sotomayor says hold my beer cuz I’m a bat shit crazy ass put Portland to shame type Justice. Obviously this omits Jackson.
I don't think that this graphic based on Martin-Quinn scores means what you think it does. It just shows how liberal or conservative they are relative to one another. "Zero" is equivalent to the center of mass of the left/right seesaw, not some sort of standard.

He makes the media a shitload of money. I guess that's good for Fox, NBC, CBS, etc.

oh yeah, I forgot the job of president is to sit on your fat a** in oval office eating big macs and calling into faux and friends. now thats a real president LMFAO
Umm yeah… I don’t think that matters as much as choosing qualified individuals to run your operation- you know, not based on their skin color, gender, or who they want to bang. Just a god awful administration- pathetic to its core.

Ever think some of that shit is left over garbage from the previous prez?
Some, maybe. But he had 3 vaccines to handle a problem trump didn’t have access to. Yet the Trump administration developed a program that ensured massive vaccine distribution in less than a year from the onset of the pandemic in the US.

That’s extraordinary, and imo makes his presidency significantly more successful than anything Biden has accomplished.

Grassley blocking Obama's nominated candidate contributed hugely to current distinction.
If Chuch and Mitch had just given Garland the seat we would be at 5-4 with Roberts still able to steer it away from horrible rulings.
Thanks Chuck! And Iowa is eager to re-elect this dude?

Grassley blocking Obama's nominated candidate contributed hugely to current distinction.
If Chuch and Mitch had just given Garland the seat we would be at 5-4 with Roberts still able to steer it away from horrible rulings.
Careful, the Radical Right gets upset when we remind them of their hypocrisy.

It's fun watching Grassley still lowering his 90 year old body to the ground for Trump to use as a foot stool.

You think he would want to die his own man, but here we are.

1643225889561.png

Ideologically targeted. This chart is not representative.

I always love it when WaPo editors engage in pop psychology. The Chief is just fine thank you very much. it is the editors who are wrought with grief.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT