ADVERTISEMENT

The True Story Behind ‘Killers of the Flower Moon’ Is Being Erased From Oklahoma Classrooms

cigaretteman

HR King
May 29, 2001
By Jim Gray and David Grann
Mr. Gray is a former Osage chief whose great-grandfather was killed during the Reign of Terror. Mr. Grann is a journalist and the author of the book “Killers of the Flower Moon.”
Sign up for the Opinion Today newsletter Get expert analysis of the news and a guide to the big ideas shaping the world every weekday morning. Get it sent to your inbox.
During the early 20th century, members of the Osage Nation in Oklahoma were systematically murdered by white settlers. Yet outside the Osage Nation, the history of this racial injustice — one of the worst in American history — was distorted and then largely erased from memory.
“Killers of the Flower Moon,” a film directed by Martin Scorsese, shines an extraordinary light on these events and provides a long overdue opportunity to restore them in our consciousness. But ironically, at the same time that the film is being released, there is a new attempt to suppress the teaching of this very history in the state where it took place.
In 2021 the Oklahoma Legislature passed a bill prohibiting teachers in public school from instructing several concepts, including that “any individual should feel discomfort, guilt, anguish or any other form of psychological distress” on account of their race or sex. The vagueness of the law has caused teachers to censor themselves, for fear of losing their licenses or their school’s accreditation. In a high school classroom in Dewey, Okla., copies of “Killers of the Flower Moon,” the nonfiction book behind the film, were left unread because the teacher worried about running afoul of the law. Another teacher confessed that she was uncertain if she could refer to the settlers who murdered the Osage as white.
At stake in these fights is not only factual accuracy. It is also how new generations will be taught to record and remember the past — both the good and the bad — so that they can learn to make their own history.
Advertisement
SKIP ADVERTISEMENT

The story of what’s now called the Osage Reign of Terror is essential to understanding America’s past. After vast oil deposits were discovered under their lands, the Osage were suddenly, by the 1920s, among the wealthiest people per capita in the world. In the year 1923 alone, the roughly 2,000 Osage on the tribal roll received a total of more than $30 million, the equivalent today of more than $400 million.
As their wealth increased, though, it unleashed an insidious backlash across the country. The U.S. government passed legislation requiring many Osage to have white guardians to manage their fortunes — a system that was both abhorrently racist and widely corrupt. Then the Osage began to die under mysterious circumstances: There were shootings, poisonings and even a bombing.

After the official death toll reached at least 24, the Osage Tribal Council issued a resolution demanding that federal authorities investigate. The case was taken up by the Bureau of Investigation, which was later renamed the Federal Bureau of Investigation. In 1926 an undercover team of operatives finally caught a flamboyantly brutal killer and two of his henchmen. The bureau’s young director, J. Edgar Hoover, promptly closed the case, and the story of how his men had triumphantly ended the Reign of Terror by apprehending the mastermind became the widely accepted version of events.
Yet there was a much deeper and darker conspiracy that the bureau never exposed.
Numerous other Osage had died suspiciously — the cause of death often cloaked behind alcoholic poisoning or wasting illness or as simply unknown. Despite evidence that the victims had been murdered for their oil money, the cases were never properly investigated. Moreover, they could not be linked to the same killer caught by the bureau. The history of the Reign of Terror was less a question of who did it than who didn’t do it.
It was about a widespread culture of killing. It was about prominent white citizens who paid for killings, doctors who administered poisons, morticians who ignored evidence of bullet wounds, lawmen and prosecutors who were on the take and many others who remained complicit in their silence — all because they were profiting from what they referred to openly as the “Indian business.” The real death toll was undoubtedly higher than 24. One bureau agent admitted: “There are so many of these murder cases. There are hundreds and hundreds.”

The Osage had these events seared in their memories. Yet most Americans had excised even the bureau’s sanitized account from their consciences. Like the Tulsa Race Massacre, which occurred during the same period, the Osage Reign of Terror was generally not taught in schools, even in Oklahoma. Mary Jo Webb, an Osage schoolteacher, once placed in her public library in Fairfax, Okla., a paper she’d written on the murders, but someone, she said, quietly removed it. The victims’ history, along with their lives, had been rubbed out. And even now, as their stories are being dramatized in a movie and shown in theaters across the country, there is a campaign in Oklahoma — this time with legislation — to deter the history from being taught in schools.
Last year the Osage Nation Congress unanimously passed a resolution calling for repealing the Oklahoma law that bars teaching the concept that students should feel psychological distress on account of their race. “Teachers are scared to speak the truth about what’s happened,” said Eli Potts, who was elected to the Osage Nation Congress in 2018. “I personally have had schools and I know of others who had Osage individuals who were scheduled to speak on ‘Killers of the Flower Moon’ rescind those offers because of this bill. We owe it to those before us to speak the truth,” he continued, “regardless of how uncomfortable it makes you feel, because it’s the truth.”
It’s not just Osage history that is being threatened. Other tribal nations in Oklahoma have joined the Osage in seeking the law’s repeal, warning that it undermines accurate learning about their own pasts. And in Bixby, Okla., a public school canceled a lesson plan that focused on “Dreamland Burning,” a young adult novel about the Tulsa Race Massacre.
The movement to suppress elements of American history extends well beyond Oklahoma. According to an analysis by The Washington Post, more than two dozen states have adopted laws that make it easier to remove books from school libraries and to prevent certain teaching on race, gender and sexuality. In 2023, PEN America, which defends freedom of speech, reported that book bans in U.S. public school classrooms and libraries had surged 33 percent over the previous school year, with more than 3,000 recorded removals; among them are classics by the Nobel laureate Toni Morrison (banned in 30 school districts) and Margaret Atwood (banned in 34). School curriculums are being revised to mask discomfiting truths — so much so that in Florida students will now be taught that some African Americans benefited from slavery because it gave them “skills.”
After the world premiere of “Killers of the Flower Moon” at the Cannes Film Festival, Matt Pinnell, Oklahoma’s lieutenant governor and a Republican, encouraged audiences to see the movie. (His state had even provided financial incentives for the production.) A reporter asked him why, if people from around the world should watch the film, the subject can’t be taught without fear in Oklahoma’s public schools. Though he acknowledged a need to clarify the law, in the five months since the festival, the state legislature has not done so.
Advertisement
SKIP ADVERTISEMENT

If such policies continue, new generations of Americans will be deprived of the wisdom of history — all of history: the stirring, the cautionary, the truth. As Cherokee Nation Principal Chief Chuck Hoskin Jr. put it, Oklahomans cannot “move forward unless we understand how we got here.”
The same is true for all of us.

As far as I know it’s never been a popular topic among Oklahoma folks.
Edna Ferber, who wrote Giant, also wrote a novel that “touched” on the topic of the dirty shenanigans that went on when oil was discovered on reservation lands, called Cimarron.
I read it many years ago so don’t recall every detail but it has some similarities to Killers of the Flower Moon.
By the way and just as an FYI, KOTFM got a scathing review in the Arts &Culture section of the WSJ today.

Teach the history, don't teach the kids in class today that they are evil because they are the same color of someone that did something evil 100 year ago. Why does this seem to be a problem? present the facts and move on.

If you still feel that way towards these groups, then there is something wrong with you, but don't tell me I am bad because of the way we treated Black, Japanese, and Native American 75-150 years ago.

Teach the history, don't teach the kids in class today that they are evil because they are the same color of someone that did something evil 100 year ago. Why does this seem to be a problem? present the facts and move on.

If you still feel that way towards these groups, then there is something wrong with you, but don't tell me I am bad because of the way we treated Black, Japanese, and Native American 75-150 years ago.
So many Americans today are descendants of people who were not even IN America back then.

Reactions: TunzaHawk
The bureau’s young director, J. Edgar Hoover, promptly closed the case, and the story of how his men had triumphantly ended the Reign of Terror by apprehending the mastermind became the widely accepted version of events.
Yet there was a much deeper and darker conspiracy that the bureau never exposed

When wasn't the FBI a political tool?

Nobody is telling you that you are bad. The facts are that racism existed, and still exists. That should be taught. Toughen up, Buttercup.

Most modern day Oklahomans probably don’t know anything about “the Johnny Bright Incident” of 1952 either. Lots of deep seated racism in Oklahoma and all the Reba Mc Entires and Will Rogers in the world cannot cover this fact up.

Holy derp op. It's not hard to teach history without teaching racism against the kids in your classroom.
What about when the racism literally is the thing at the middle of the subject being taught? Congress declared that the members of the tribe needed a white to oversee their money because they were inferior. That is racism. Sorry if it gives some of you the sads.

Since when are teachers kids that they are evil? To be fair I prefer to get all my history from statues of confederate generals.

Reactions: auntie_fah
Wow! Had no idea we had so many experts on Oklahoma life and culture on an Iowa board.
You don’t have to be an “expert” on Oklahoma history….just some knowledge about American history is sufficient. This is exactly the kind of stuff De Satis doesn’t want time wasted on in American schools…..it looks bad and reflects bad on how we have operated in their past.

What about when the racism literally is the thing at the middle of the subject being taught? Congress declared that the members of the tribe needed a white to oversee their money because they were inferior. That is racism. Sorry if it gives some of you the sads.
Nobody is stopping anyone from teaching that.

Have you noticed all these stories in the media are by school districts making their own decisions? This isn't the legislature in any way.

• Haha
Reactions: BelemNole
Holy derp op. It's not hard to teach history without teaching racism against the kids in your classroom.
Sometimes, pointing out the racism is necessary to teach the lesson of history! Do we talk about WW2 without dealing with Hitler and his Final Solution? Do we talk about how America settled the West, without talking about how our national government (and state governments) screwed the Native American out of land, resources and wealth? DooBi.....these are the lessons of history...History lives and breathes and teaches us all the time (it doesn’t let you forget!) ....it is far more than dates, places and events. How boring are you?

Have you noticed all these stories in the media are by school districts making their own decisions? This isn't the legislature in any way.

Yep all these schools decided one day to start removing all these books on their own.

It's not because all these state legislatures passed vague and extremely punitive laws about what was acceptable to have in schools.

Sometimes, pointing out the racism is necessary to teach the lesson of history! Do we talk about WW2 without dealing with Hitler and his Final Solution? Do we talk about how America settled the West, without talking about how our national government (and state governments) screwed the Native American out of land, resources and wealth? DooBi.....these are the lessons of history...History lives and breathes and teaches us all the time (it doesn’t let you forget!) ....it is far more than dates, places and events. How boring are you?
No one is stopping anyone from teaching those lessons. No one.

Yes you are...if anyone has “hurt feelings” or their value system is upset by History, there are too many out there that demand that NOT be taught.That is exactly what your saying, DooBi.
False.

, but don't tell me I am bad because of the way we treated Black, Japanese, and Native American 75-150 years ago.
link to curriculum where kids are taught they are bad because of the way Black, Japanese and Native Americans were treated 75-150 yrs ago

Moving the goalposts I see. Now we are on to one particular central American culture and his human sacrifice.

And using that to justify what whitey did to them.

I'm sure your white trash background is stellar.
^this. This sentiment right here. You start teaching with a sentiment of whitey or white trash background which would only be done to make white kids feel guilty, then that would be the problem. It's really not that difficult.
Stupid or not...what is you and yours complaint about how History is being taught, then?

^this. This sentiment right here. You start teaching with a sentiment of whitey or white trash background which would only be done to make white kids feel guilty, then that would be the problem. It's really not that difficult.
No...give me an example...I just don’t see it. There might be parents who take exception to what they think is being taught but....
What about the basically false flag history that is taught about the Alamo? They still teach the John Wayne “Alamo” version of this “historic” adventure when most of what is taken for granted I’d in fact, false. Even the great State of Texas refuses to admit the truth and insist on teaching the “anti-Mexican” version of events abd fail to mention the factor that slavery was in the whole matter.

No...give me an example...I just don’t see it. There might be parents who take exception to what they think is being taught but....
What about the basically false flag history that is taught about the Alamo? They still teach the John Wayne “Alamo” version of this “historic” adventure when most of what is taken for granted I’d in fact, false. Even the great State of Texas refuses to admit the truth and insist on teaching the “anti-Mexican” version of events abd fail to mention the factor that slavery was in the whole matter.
Are you drunk?

Nooe
Just curious for your example
I dont have one. I'm not championing this law. I'm just explaining it to people that have no critical thinking skills.

Largely, I think a lot of these laws are unnecessary.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT