ADVERTISEMENT

The Trumpslide cometh

William Bonney

HR Heisman
Mar 24, 2017
A professor of political science whose controversial election model has correctly called five of the last six U.S. presidential elections says President Trump will win reelection in 2020 in a "landslide."

Helmut Norpoth, who teaches at Stony Brook University, is giving Trump "a 90-percent chance of being re-elected in a landslide," the Long Island, N.Y., school said in a recent press release.

Norpoth's "Primary Model" has correctly predicted nearly every presidential election since 1996, missing only George Bush's 2000 victory over Al Gore. (When the model is "applied to previous elections," Stonybrook said, it "correctly predicts an impressive 25 of the last 27.")

The model utilizes data from presidential primaries to help predict who will win.

"I focus on early primaries and the way the candidates perform in those early contests," Norpoth said in the press release. "It's a very good predictor, and a leading indicator of what's going to happen in November."

The professor said he was unsurprised at the model's prediction this year, citing Trump's performance in the primaries earlier in the winter.

"When I looked at New Hampshire and I saw that Donald Trump got 85 percent of the votes ... I was pretty sure what the model was going to predict," he said in the release.

Joe Biden, on the other hand, pulled down only 8.4% in New Hampshire, Norpoth said, a number that is "unbelievable for a candidate with any aspirations of being president," he stated.

• Haha
Reactions: Torg
Another title for this article could be “model that incorrectly predicted 1 out of the last 6 elections (none involving a racist, incompetent, crazy person) predicts Trump will win election”

Reactions: Torg
A professor of political science whose controversial election model has correctly called five of the last six U.S. presidential elections says President Trump will win reelection in 2020 in a "landslide."

Helmut Norpoth, who teaches at Stony Brook University, is giving Trump "a 90-percent chance of being re-elected in a landslide," the Long Island, N.Y., school said in a recent press release.

Norpoth's "Primary Model" has correctly predicted nearly every presidential election since 1996, missing only George Bush's 2000 victory over Al Gore. (When the model is "applied to previous elections," Stonybrook said, it "correctly predicts an impressive 25 of the last 27.")

The model utilizes data from presidential primaries to help predict who will win.

"I focus on early primaries and the way the candidates perform in those early contests," Norpoth said in the press release. "It's a very good predictor, and a leading indicator of what's going to happen in November."

The professor said he was unsurprised at the model's prediction this year, citing Trump's performance in the primaries earlier in the winter.

"When I looked at New Hampshire and I saw that Donald Trump got 85 percent of the votes ... I was pretty sure what the model was going to predict," he said in the release.

Joe Biden, on the other hand, pulled down only 8.4% in New Hampshire, Norpoth said, a number that is "unbelievable for a candidate with any aspirations of being president," he stated.

giphy.gif

Trump winning Republican primaries in a landslide does not equal winning general election in a landslide. Has Helmut ever predicted an incumbent losing?

Oh and is this a landslide of Pepsi?

Reactions: naturalmwa

Uh, trump ran unopposed and only got 85%? That’s what his model saw as the turning point?
If you were paying attention during primary season you would have seen that Trump was blowing away all previous incumbents for total votes received in state after state. That speaks to the enthusiasm of his base, that they'd go out and vote anyway even though it was unnecessary.

There are a couple possibilities here this Nov.

1) Trump wins in an electoral college landslide / comfortable margin (will still lose the popular vote)
2) Biden or Trump win in a close electoral college count / Biden wins popular

If you were paying attention during primary season you would have seen that Trump was blowing away all previous incumbents for total votes received in state after state. That speaks to the enthusiasm of his base, that they'd go out and vote anyway even though it was unnecessary.

number of votes would have been a good indicator, wonder why he didn’t mention it.

I get so lost on these types of posts because I never know if it's a day when MAGAts are believing polls/predictions or not. This one leans Trump so I assume today is on a "on" day for them.

His campaign made it a priority to mention it. He was far outpacing popular incumbents like Reagan and Clinton in several states.

I meant the professor who says Trump will win.

this makes no sense;

“When I looked at New Hampshire and I saw that Donald Trump got 85 percent of the votes, and the closest challenger was Bill Weld at 10 percent, I was pretty sure what the model was going to predict,” he said. “If Trump had gotten only 55 percent and an opponent had gotten 40 percent, I may not have predicted that Donald Trump would have a chance to win. Maybe. It would depend on the other side as well.”

F me. They is impressed that Trump won a bunch of primaries where he ran unopposed. It’s just like the votes dictators get. Why are people so stupid?

You guys still haven't figured it out.
Oh we've figured it out: you Trumpbillies are sore losers in the midst of a giant, collective tantrum. You cling to hare-brained conspiracies spun by fringe websites and networks because you're ignorant, angry, and afraid to face the fact you were duped by a blowhard, lifelong conman.

Your hero is a failure - the ultimate one-term LOSER.

Reactions: HawkBlocked
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT