ADVERTISEMENT

The Ukraine war may have brought China back into the international fold

Tenacious E

HR Legend
Dec 4, 2001
I like this quote: "In a sense, the new policy is a recognition by the Communist Party that the democracies are not as weak as they looked a year or two ago. The West still controls the machinery of global finance, technology transfer, and maritime trade. The war in Ukraine has revealed that it can be remarkably unified and has a backbone of steel when seriously provoked. Xi’s profession of friendship “without limits” for Vladimir Putin is surely an embarrassment he would rather forget – though there are some advantages for Beijing in a dependent Russia with nowhere else to turn. Russia’s military has been exposed as a paper tiger. Its value as an ally is enormously degraded."

Uh oh, we agree on something. 😄😻
Something else to ponder is whether, from just a dollars and cents perspective, whatever we are spending/investing in Ukraine right now, there will be a positive ROI if we get the global economy cooking again. I don't need that as justification for our aid, but for self-described conservatives concerned about the cost of aid to Ukraine, this could be a powerful counterpoint.

they are getting hammered in general right now so they'll say and do anything to stem the tide. would be silly though for rest of the world to just go back to how things were...

Something else to ponder is whether, from just a dollars and cents perspective, whatever we are spending/investing in Ukraine right now, there will be a positive ROI if we get the global economy cooking again. I don't need that as justification for our aid, but for self-described conservatives concerned about the cost of aid to Ukraine, this could be a powerful counterpoint.
Holding the line on Russian aggression, and a return to normalcy in the European markets, ag exports, fertilizer production... It will all be good for the global economy. I've pulled out of a lot of investments to avoid exposure to China and Europe.

Reactions: Tenacious E
China just recorded its first population decline.

Their demographic nightmare is only beginning.
I was just going to mention this. Population is declining. Birth rate is declining. Productivity lags behind Western nations. 1 million deaths projected due to Covid within the next 3 months...
I don't think this is a new, warm and fuzzy China. They are still very aggressive in the South China Sea, and in regards to Taiwan, but they have a lot of pressure on their economy.
https://apnews.com/article/technolo...-birth-rates-1d281307d541dbfe704695a5463fa239

Reactions: mnole03
I was just going to mention this. Population is declining. Birth rate is declining. Productivity lags behind Western nations. 1 million deaths projected due to Covid within the next 3 months...
I don't think this is a new, warm and fuzzy China. They are still very aggressive in the South China Sea, and in regards to Taiwan, but they have a lot of pressure on their economy.
https://apnews.com/article/technolo...-birth-rates-1d281307d541dbfe704695a5463fa239
They still serve a great duck

Oh me so horny

foxy-asian-grabing-her-own-big-boobs_001.gif

Plus public demonstrations the likes of which haven't been seen in a generation. Public unrest basically made the regime blink on Covid policy, a factor I think is rather gone under the radar. They didn't mow them all down, they shifted policy.

What does that mean for the future and China's ability to coerce their own people? My guess is that there's a much different calculus in Beijing than there was a year ago on that point.

When people have downplayed the idea of true economic (or hot) war with China by saying "It would hurt them as much as it would us", I've always reminded them that this is a country that starved tens of millions of it's own people without pause. A country that's perfectly willing to make its people eat its own children will always prevail over a country that agonizes over The Office leaving Netflix.

However, for the first time, these mass demonstrations showed that there are limits to what this regime can put its people through. I didn't know that, and I'm not sure the bastards in charge knew that either.

China cleared saw the sanctions placed on Russia for going
to war with Ukraine. China will have second thoughts about
going to war with Taiwan. China would face the same sanctions.
The real winner is Taiwan and their independence is a reality.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT