ADVERTISEMENT

The Walking Dead

DooBi

HR Legend
Sep 18, 2006
Was pretty good Sunday. Interesting storyline. I hope they don't mess it up in the end. I know they probably want to milk this world for all its worth, but good zombie stories end with no living humans.

Was pretty good Sunday. Interesting storyline. I hope they don't mess it up in the end. I know they probably want to milk this world for all its worth, but good zombie stories end with no living humans.

That’s why I MUCH prefer Black Summer to the Walking Dead. Out of probably 50-60 characters introduced since the beginning there are literally only 2.5 that made it out season two (in other words two definitely made it, one might make it or she might not).

It’s technically a prequel to Z Nation but really has nothing to do with it tonally (ie Black Summer is played straight/serious while Z Nation is farcical) or storywise (other than both being about zombies there’s nothing much related).

I did not realize it came back on last night. Probably would've changed to that instead of watching the Bucs lose again.

Probably would have DVR'd it just to see how it ends. Had no idea this was back. How did they think they were going to compete with HotD and SNF?

That’s why I MUCH prefer Black Summer to the Walking Dead. Out of probably 50-60 characters introduced since the beginning there are literally only 2.5 that made it out season two (in other words two definitely made it, one might make it or she might not).

It’s technically a prequel to Z Nation but really has nothing to do with it tonally (ie Black Summer is played straight/serious while Z Nation is farcical) or storywise (other than both being about zombies there’s nothing much related).
Never heard of black summer.

I was hate watching for a while, but I am just done. They should have ended it years ago.
I LOVED the walking dead. The first 3 or 4 seasons were riveting and awesome. I grew less and less interested until I gave up on it when Rick left the show.

Reactions: ericram
Never heard of black summer.

It’s on Netflix and it’s definitely my favorite zombie show. There’s one whole episode that follows two characters from living to death to undead chasing other living with continuous shots. It’s doable because these are more like the infected in 20 days Later or rage zombies who literally run full speed at you rather than the slow clumsy walkers in Walking Dead.

It’s on Netflix and it’s definitely my favorite zombie show. There’s one whole episode that follows two characters from living to death to undead chasing other living with continuous shots. It’s doable because these are more like the infected in 20 days Later or rage zombies who literally run full speed at you rather than the slow clumsy walkers in Walking Dead.
Do these zombies not actually eat or drink, but never run out of energy or dehydrate and crumble into dust? Can they remain submerged underwater for months, if not years, and never drown despite having no source of oxygen? Are they killed by stabbing them in the cortex or cerebellum, even though the only active part of their brain is the brainstem? Can they be decapitated and have their heads put on spikes, where they continue to growl and gurgle even though they have no lungs and no circulating blood?

Last edited:
Do these zombies not actually eat or drink, but never run out of energy or dehydrate and crumble into dust? Can they remain submerged underwater for months, if not years, and never drown despite having no source of oxygen? Are they killed by stabbing them in the cortex or cerebellum, even though the only active part of their brain is the brainstem?

Black Summer’s zombies are kind of in between the infected in 20 Days Later and the walkers in the Walking Dead. A freshly turned zombie (which can occur from either a bite OR just dying as everyone is already infected just like TWD) is actually a bit faster and stronger than the human it was before as essentially all of their fight or flight chemicals have been released. Just like 20 Days Later, over time the zombie breaks down and rots at about the same rate as a real dead human would and not magically preserved for years like in TWD. However unlike 20 Days Later, they can’t be killed by heart shots or anything else that would kill an ordinary person, they have to be shot in the head or otherwise have their brain destroyed. The fresh zombies also aren’t “stupid” like the ones in TWD they’re just enraged past the point of caring so they’ll bash through a door with their own body rather than open it.

I guess another way of thinking of it would be that they’re same as the zombies in the movie version of World War Z minus the hive mind aspect.

Last edited:
However unlike 20 Days Later, they can’t be killed by heart shots or anything else that would kill an ordinary person, they have to be shot in the head or otherwise have their brain destroyed.
Do they explain how they continue to supply tissues with oxygen and nutrients without a functioning heart? I know I am being silly and you need to suspend disbelief, but it is the part of these virus-apocalypse shows that drives me nuts. At least in GOT they just said hey, it's magic.

Do these zombies not actually eat or drink, but never run out of energy or dehydrate and crumble into dust? Can they remain submerged underwater for months, if not years, and never drown despite having no source of oxygen? Are they killed by stabbing them in the cortex or cerebellum, even though the only active part of their brain is the brainstem? Can they be decapitated and have their heads put on spikes, where they continue to growl and gurgle even though they have no lungs and no circulating blood?

Here’s a great scene from Season Two which you will forget about once you start season one so don’t worry about spoilers beyond the existence of one character that makes it through Season One to this point. But it shows the clusterf%^% that would happen with two factions of humans fighting each other IF those shot and killed instantly turned into rage zombies themselves. So it’s a mindblowingly chaotic cluster of violence. This actually happens multiple times in the show.

Do they explain how they continue to supply tissues with oxygen and nutrients without a functioning heart? I know I am being silly and you need to suspend disbelief, but it is the part of these virus-apocalypse shows that drives me nuts. At least in GOT they just said hey, it's magic.
They don't. That's why the flesh rots.

Here’s a great scene from Season Two which you will forget about once you start season one so don’t worry about spoilers beyond the existence of one character that makes it through Season One to this point. But it shows the clusterf%^% that would happen with two factions of humans fighting each other IF those shot and killed instantly turned into rage zombies themselves. So it’s a mindblowingly chaotic cluster of violence. This actually happens multiple times in the show.

That's pretty intense...

Reactions: FSUTribe76

Not in the series Black Summer. In the original series Z Nation (which I DON’T recommend) they explained it as a virus similar to Resident Evil wherein it mutates the body to focus on things it needs to run short term without those it need’s longterm. Ie breathing and food is not important but impulses firing muscle strands are.

As I said, I wouldn’t try to blend Z Nation into this, just take it as it’s completely new own thing and just say “magic”.

Black summer was super intense. Very good show with very little dialogue to it. Season 2 was better than season 1 I though. I suppose I like zombies that move fast rather than zombies that move slow.
The walking dead was never really about the zombies, imo. It was about the survivors and how they interacted with each other. The show got lost in survivor complexity and subpar acting.

Black summer was super intense. Very good show with very little dialogue to it. Season 2 was better than season 1 I though. I suppose I like zombies that move fast rather than zombies that move slow.
The walking dead was never really about the zombies, imo. It was about the survivors and how they interacted with each other. The show got lost in survivor complexity and subpar acting.
I also like running zombies. The newer Dawn of the Dead was perfect.

Old school Walking Dead had some legit great episodes and heart breaking moments. Carol's "Look at the flowers" episode comes to mind. Just so hard to keep bringing that intensity without completely wearing your audience out.

Long way of saying it should have been 5-6 seasons max with a complete arc for characters and ending before it got greenlit. It's just gone on far too long.

A. Maybe just a minor spoiler revealing the excessive amount of spinoff shows for this expanding "Walking Dead Universe"...............

B. Key word being excessive.............I'd also perhaps add "unnecessary".

Oh man. The chick who plays Rose was like the hottest chick on the planet in the movie Lone Star State of Mind. It sucks that age has to happen. Lol

And yeah I suck cause I'm too lazy to post pics even though I know the rules.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT