ADVERTISEMENT

The Watchmen

This whole series has blown away my expectations. The writing is great and it uses and expands the characters from the original graphic novel in surprising and creative ways. It's one of the best series I've watched and, imo, is one of the most significant series to be made in a long while.

Note: If you are a racist or internet incel you probably won't like it much so don't bother.

I think it’s fantastic- and only know a little about the original watchmen movie, almost nothing about the novel.

I'm very happy with Watchmen. I'd still have it behind The Boys, Daredevil and Jessica Jones season 1 and in a group tie with Legion and Preacher for best superhero show of all time.

But it's definitely head and shoulders above most of the Netflix shows, Runaways, umbrella academy and cloak and dagger and MILES better than the CW Arrowverse shows, Heroes, and Agents of Shield.

Reactions: JupiterHawk
It’s my favorite show on television right now.

If HBO still counts as television then I agree with you as it’s my favorite on premium cable, basic cable and broadcast now that the Americans is gone, Fargo is on hiatus and the Expanse moved to Amazon. Barry is a very close second and I still enjoy the Magicians, Outlander, What We Do in the Shadows, Westworld and the Good Place to round out my top 7 on “television”. BUT....that’s because most of my favorite shows are on streaming services now.

I’m a big fan of The Boys, The Expanse, The Mandalorian, Star Trek: Discovery, Stranger Things, Daybreak, Black Mirror, Jack Ryan, and Good Omens, so I would probably have those ahead of Watchmen in some order.

This whole series has blown away my expectations. The writing is great and it uses and expands the characters from the original graphic novel in surprising and creative ways. It's one of the best series I've watched and, imo, is one of the most significant series to be made in a long while.

Note: If you are a racist or internet incel you probably won't like it much so don't bother.

is there a LOT of sex?

How amazing was last nights episode?

I would have to put that up there with one of the best episodes of any series ever. The story telling, acting, and how it progressed the story was unreal
My one bitch with it is that if he’s all powerful and he knew they had a cannon, why not take it out before the canon could get him? Unless he wanted to be gotten...

Last edited:
My one bitch with it is that if he’s all powerful and he knew they had a canon, why not take it out before the canon could get him? Unless he wanted to be gotten...

I think he understands he has to do this for whatever reason. Kind of like Dr strange in infinity wars

Reactions: FSUTribe76
My one bitch with it is that if he’s all powerful and he knew they had a canon, why not take it out before the canon could get him? Unless he wanted to be gotten...

He's a slave to time and he can't change events. Whether he does this as a choice or if there is a physics reason he can't do it is unknown. It's not the first time he did this. When they were in Vietnam and the Comedian shot the chick he got pregnant Dr. Manhattan just watched him do that too, even though he could have easily stopped him.

On further thought....

Or...he can't change time because he is living all the moments at the same time. He can't change events anymore than you can change what happens the moment you make a bad decision, even if you immediately regret making it. It might be, if you were to step outside and view Dr. Manhattan's timeline, it would be a dot because everything happens at once.

He's a slave to time and he can't change events. Whether he does this as a choice or if there is a physics reason he can't do it is unknown. It's not the first time he did this. When they were in Vietnam and the Comedian shot the chick he got pregnant Dr. Manhattan just watched him do that too, even though he could have easily stopped him.
Upon further reflection, I think he allowed it to happen and he will be safe, and it ties into telling Abar that she needs to see him walking on water because it will be important later. How would he know it will be important unless he is there to know that in the future and tell her in her timeline?

Reactions: BioHawk
How amazing was last nights episode?

I would have to put that up there with one of the best episodes of any series ever. The story telling, acting, and how it progressed the story was unreal

Great show. Bummed only one more episode. Hopefully they make more seasons.

Because, duh.

watchmen-hbo-regina-king-poster-1192484-1280x0.jpeg

Reactions: FSUTribe76
Way exceeded my expectations. Favorite show of 2019 for me. I'm hoping they don't do another and just leave it how it ended.

Way exceeded my expectations. Favorite show of 2019 for me. I'm hoping they don't do another and just leave it how it ended.
The show's creator said nothing is planned and he won't do another season unless he has a cool/compelling idea. He didn't rule out exploring a completely different side of Watchmen, like done in the Wire, or even something completely different as done in the True Detective seasons.

The show's creator said nothing is planned and he won't do another season unless he has a cool/compelling idea. He didn't rule out exploring a completely different side of Watchmen, like done in the Wire, or even something completely different as done in the True Detective seasons.
With that being said, I sure would watch a Looking Glass spin off. Hell I'd watch a Lube Man spin off.

Last edited:
Reactions: Tenacious E

I feel like there's a lot of potential world-building that could be done if they so choose. I like that the 1st season was kept mostly self-contained, just in case they didn't want a second season.

Reactions: Tenacious E
I’ve read how the director wanted it to be a stand alone story and possibly have another season within the universe. Do it kind of like True detective does

I’ve read how the director wanted it to be a stand alone story and possibly have another season within the universe. Do it kind of like True detective does

I like the concept, but I'd kinda like to make sure the stories overlap. One complaint I've heard about True Detective is that stand-alone concept. Especially in a universe like this.

Ideally, I'd like Regina's character to not actually be the new Doctor Manhatten, and have the old one returned at some point - but preferably severely limited. Very difficult to have successful shows where you have an all-powerful, omniscient character. Watchmen found an excellent way around it for one season.

I'd enjoy a Watchmen/Wire mash-up with a down-on-his-luck Ozymandias as a fish-out-of-water mad scientist in the Baltimore projects using his genius to rebuild his wealth with a drug empire and Stringer Bell's clone is his lead henchman.

I like the concept, but I'd kinda like to make sure the stories overlap. One complaint I've heard about True Detective is that stand-alone concept. Especially in a universe like this.

Ideally, I'd like Regina's character to not actually be the new Doctor Manhatten, and have the old one returned at some point - but preferably severely limited. Very difficult to have successful shows where you have an all-powerful, omniscient character. Watchmen found an excellent way around it for one season.

the problem with True Detective is the quality has gone down each season. (This is from a fan of season 2).

the problem with True Detective is the quality has gone down each season. (This is from a fan of season 2).

Nah.

True Detective Season 1: 10/10 and one of the best shows on TV

True Detective Season 2: 2/10 and unwatchably bad, I gave up about three quarters of the way through as I didn’t care enough to finish it

True Detective Season 3: 2/10 and unwatchably bad, I gave up about half way through as I didn’t care enough to finish it

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT