ADVERTISEMENT

The water wars are heating up. Nebraska announces a $500 million dollar plan to divert water from Colorado to Nebraska.

I thought that Nebraska was a giant Bird and wildlife Sanctuary? ... the last untouched bit of nature in the land?
Nebraska%27s%20Wetland%20Complexes%20Map_April%202015.png

OIP.X7YLCvLCd_jqNDXJUUC6EgHaFj

I have actually seen articles advocating the depopulation of about half the state and turning it into a giant wildlife sanctuary.

I kind of liked the idea.
I think there’s a big crane or heron sanctuary near Grand Island

Reactions: Titus Andronicus
Spoken like someone who has never stepped foot in Nebraska.
Go look at the real estate prices for any mediocre lake anywhere close to Des Moines. They are very in demand. Omaha-Lincoln has 1.5-2x that population. I guarantee it would get a lot of local interest at least, which might not mean out of state tourism but would mean wealthier Nebraskans spending money in Nebraska instead of elsewhere.

Go look at the real estate prices for any mediocre lake anywhere close to Des Moines. They are very in demand. Omaha-Lincoln has 1.5-2x that population. I guarantee it would get a lot of local interest at least, which might not mean out of state tourism but would mean wealthier Nebraskans spending money in Nebraska instead of elsewhere.
I know there is a bunch of families from Omaha and Lincoln that have places up at the Okoboji area. If they build there own might free up some expensive property in Iowa.

I have no doubt that the rubes that live IN Nebraska would love to have it. My contention is linking it to tourism is asinine. Not to mention, they claim to not have enough water even for farming -- maybe don't make artificial lakes, then?

This is insanely irresponsible:

Meanwhile, Nebraska also announced plans to spend an estimated $200 million on water projects around the state. The plans include building a marina at Lake McConaughy State Recreational Area in western Nebraska, a visitor's lodge and other upgrades at Niobrara State Park and a 4,000-acre proposed lake to be located between Omaha and Lincoln.
Speaker of the Legislature Mike Hilgers said the measure would help boost Nebraska's economy, tourism and recreational offerings. The combined projects would generate an estimated $5.6 billion in economic activity during construction, according to legislative estimates.

Are you shitting me? You are threatening legal action to divert water from Colorado for agriculture purposes, but have enough extra to BUILD A NEW LAKE to boost tourism in a part of the country literally NO ONE wants to go to? JFC.
Just saw they intend this lake to be the size of Okoboji. Roughly 4,000 acres.

Reactions: cigaretteman
With climate change, only going to get worse….

Think about all the wars and killing in the pursuit of oil….now imagine what happens over water….something that humans actually require to….survive.

Reactions: torbee
Back in the '60s they had this great idea to dam the Platte River to make a recreation area. The Platte is known mainly for being "A mile wide and an inch deep" and "Too wet to plow, too dry to drink."

The Platte valley is very wide and flat. Best guess was that a dam would have to be at least 10 to 15 miles long to get a minimal depth of water to float a boat.

Reactions: cigaretteman
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT