ADVERTISEMENT

The Weber charcoal Grill

I’ve been jonesing for a new grill and as an alternative to Weber have been considering and SNS grill.

Sounds like they’ve made incremental improvements to the Weber design and more logical layout (temp gauge next to airflow). They also have designed in holes for doing low and slow type cooks (I think all new to me) that guys do as modifications to a Weber.

Anyone looked into this brand?

I spent some time looking at that. It looks pretty great. It's basically everything great about a Weber with some small improvements. The price isn't that bad compared to Weber Premium. The main hang up for me was not being able to see it locally. The company makes good stuff, so I imagine its a solid product, but not being able to kind of see the sturdiness of it compared to a Weber was a bit of a drawback.

And here's the other thing. Depending on where you live, with a little patience you should be able to pick up a Weber grill in excellent condition for a fraction of the cost of new. On some of the facebook groups, people get them free sometimes, I've never been that patient. But a month ago I bought a like new Weber Performer (the one built into a table) for $125, including chimney and cover. That's a $500 grill, but the people were moving. That's a $500 grill, and I sold my Weber premium for $90, so I upgraded for $35.

For a grill as popular as a Weber Kettle, you should be able to find one used in great condition, which gives you more money for accessories, but that SNS grill looks great.

Reactions: flyfishstout_CO
I spent some time looking at that. It looks pretty great. It's basically everything great about a Weber with some small improvements. The price isn't that bad compared to Weber Premium. The main hang up for me was not being able to see it locally. The company makes good stuff, so I imagine its a solid product, but not being able to kind of see the sturdiness of it compared to a Weber was a bit of a drawback.

And here's the other thing. Depending on where you live, with a little patience you should be able to pick up a Weber grill in excellent condition for a fraction of the cost of new. On some of the facebook groups, people get them free sometimes, I've never been that patient. But a month ago I bought a like new Weber Performer (the one built into a table) for $125, including chimney and cover. That's a $500 grill, but the people were moving. That's a $500 grill, and I sold my Weber premium for $90, so I upgraded for $35.

For a grill as popular as a Weber Kettle, you should be able to find one used in great condition, which gives you more money for accessories, but that SNS grill looks great.

I got my Weber Q, the top of the line gas version with stand and a full LP tank - for $75 from CL. It was in perfect condition.

Deals on grills are out there if you keep looking and be patient.

Reactions: Nole Lou
And yes, the Weber Kettle is the best single charcoal grill out there.

If all of my cooking was smoking, then maybe a BGE, but its not very good at all for 2 zone cooking because it's tall and narrow. $1000 is just too much for me to not be able to do effective two zone cooking, as that's probably 90% of grilling. And be smaller than the Weber.

I could be fine with only a Weber Kettle, but I wouldn't get by with just a BGE. The BGE is a better smoker than the Kettle, but Kettle is way better as a smoker than the BGE is as a grill.

I got my Weber Q, the top of the line gas version with stand and a full LP tank - for $75 from CL. It was in perfect condition.

Deals on grills are out there if you keep looking and be patient.

Yep, if its a mainstream grill they're one of the easiest things to buy used. I assume that's one reason why Weber comes out with the limited addition colors on the kettle, those don't turn up as often in the wild, and if you like kettles, they are beautiful. When I see them in the store I definitely covet a blue or green one.

And yes, the Weber Kettle is the best single charcoal grill out there.

If all of my cooking was smoking, then maybe a BGE, but its not very good at all for 2 zone cooking because it's tall and narrow. $1000 is just too much for me to not be able to do effective two zone cooking, as that's probably 90% of grilling. And be smaller than the Weber.

I could be fine with only a Weber Kettle, but I wouldn't get by with just a BGE. The BGE is a better smoker than the Kettle, but Kettle is way better as a smoker than the BGE is as a grill.
I just added a BGE to the inventory, along with a crawfish cooker. I may need an intervention

I have the Weber Master Touch Kettle, it's an upgrade over the Premium, excellent grill. For quick, small or unexpected cooks, I have a Coleman tailgating propane grill. Best of both worlds.

By the way, if you're in the habit of trolling CL or Facebook for used grills, keep an eye out for something that looks like this:

0469EF91-1F27-4994-A903-3BF5CA9730E9_1_105_c.jpeg
395826-d4dfe9ccdbfb02b212e40601b0d1625d.jpg
images

We've brought it up on here before, but that's a PK Grill, and they're pretty awesome and have a small but dedicated enthusiast community. It's been called a hipster grill.

They've been made since the 1960s I think, and they are close to indestructible, so sometimes people basically inherit them and they're dirty and shitty looking and unimpressive and people nearly give them away because they don't know what they've got. But in most cases (not all), because they're solid cast aluminum, they can be cleaned up, the grates replaced, and either used or resold for hundreds of dollars. They're pretty insanely expensive new now ($499) in relation to their grilling surface area.

They're a fantastic grill, but not the greatest compliment to the Weber Kettle as they cover pretty much the same ground, A+++ for grilling, B for smoking. But would be fantastic as a compliment to a gas grill or a BGE. If you're a steak person, they're probably the single greatest steak machine that exists.

One question I have about charcoal vs gas...people always talk about gas being so much faster, not waiting for charcoal, etc. But I found out recently that you still need to wait 10-15 minutes for a gas grill to warm up.

That's about how long it takes to light charcoal in a chimney and be ready to go.

Now, I definitely get that there's a difference between pushing a button and maybe getting your hands dirty/greasy dealing with lighting charcoal, but the time difference doesn't seem significant, and that's what people always refer to.

Is it more the hassle of getting out the bag, filling chimney, etc than the time?

One question I have about charcoal vs gas...people always talk about gas being so much faster, not waiting for charcoal, etc. But I found out recently that you still need to wait 10-15 minutes for a gas grill to warm up.

That's about how long it takes to light charcoal in a chimney and be ready to go.

Now, I definitely get that there's a difference between pushing a button and maybe getting your hands dirty/greasy dealing with lighting charcoal, but the time difference doesn't seem significant, and that's what people always refer to.

Is it more the hassle of getting out the bag, filling chimney, etc than the time?
Why in the world would you need to wait 10-15 minutes for a gas grill to warm up? It get's hot in less than a minute. 2 minutes max. The thing you do need to do though is when you are done with the cooks, you should run it on high for 10 minutes to burn off anything on the grates, and then brush it down so it is ready to go the next time you want to use it.

Why in the world would you need to wait 10-15 minutes for a gas grill to warm up? It get's hot in less than a minute. 2 minutes max. The thing you do need to do though is when you are done with the cooks, you should run it on high for 10 minutes to burn off anything on the grates, and then brush it down so it is ready to go the next time you want to use it.

Well, that was my question. I've never used a gas grill, and assumed it was instantaneous, but read it recently.

Google says 10-15 minutes, this from Cooks Illustrated says 15 minutes:

If you're saying that's bullshit, then I believe you, that's why I asked. I've been wondering ever since I heard about warming up a gas grill. I didn't make sense to me since I've been reading gas grill enthusiasts talk about how much faster it is my whole life.

Yes. With my gas grill being a smaller tailgating type, it takes 5- 10 mins to heat. It folds out quickly and lights with a button. I can prep something quick, cook it quicker, eat, then clean it up and stow all in the same time it takes me to simply prep grill, get coals to temp, etc. With the charcoal, which I prefer, it's more of an event/ritual. Where I like to take my time, pour a drink, sit back and watch the coals light up and ash over. Cleanup is much easier as well.

Best way I can put it is, the gas is used more in a pinch or a whim, the charcoal grill is a relaxing evening by the flames.

Well, that was my question. I've never used a gas grill, and assumed it was instantaneous, but read it recently.

Google says 10-15 minutes, this from Cooks Illustrated says 15 minutes:

If you're saying that's bullshit, then I believe you, that's why I asked. I've been wondering ever since I heard about warming up a gas grill. I didn't make sense to me since I've been reading gas grill enthusiasts talk about how much faster it is my whole life.
Well, the pictures of the toast in that picture don't lie. I haven't cooked with a gas grill in a few years so maybe I am not remembering correctly how long I actually let it warm up...

Have gotten by with simple Smokey Joe for basic grilling.
Have never smoked anything in any grill.
Considering getting a big Weber kettle grill and maybe trying this smoking deal that so many have mastered.
I honestly did not think you could do it with a Weber charcoal grill.
Is it complicated? I am complete novice at smoking meats.

Reactions: GOHOX69
Considering getting a big Weber kettle grill and maybe trying this smoking deal that so many have mastered.
It is not complicated but it does take time to master.

My next pellet grill will be the Weber smokefire unless they upgrade another time before my pitboss shits out

Wait until they work the bugs out. The first model they put out had lots of problems. Seems like things are improving with the 2nd generation but I personally wouldn’t buy one yet.

https://www.smokedbbqsource.com/weber-smokefire-pellet-grill-review/

Google charcoal snake method.

Weber does charcoal & gas really well but if I were going the pellet route I'd get a recteq or Traeger. The Weber Smokefire is overly expensive and underperforms those other two.

Just read Meathead's site. Personally, I use the two zone method to smoke.

Amazing Ribs
I will have to try this method. I use the vortex a lot to cook with indirect and direct heat. It is fantastic at searing steaks and everything

VORTEX (IN)DIRECT HEAT for Charcoal Grills, Medium Size - For Weber Kettle 22 26.75 WSM Smokey Mountain XL Kamado XL Big Green Egg Amazon product ASIN B01GGDBLF2
There are cheaper ones but you put this bad boy in the middle of the Weber and get to cooking!

I will have to try this method. I use the vortex a lot to cook with indirect and direct heat. It is fantastic at searing steaks and everything

VORTEX (IN)DIRECT HEAT for Charcoal Grills, Medium Size - For Weber Kettle 22 26.75 WSM Smokey Mountain XL Kamado XL Big Green Egg

There are cheaper ones but you put this bad boy in the middle of the Weber and get to cooking!
I bought this product and I will say I did not enjoy the meat. It is probably the charcoal I was using, which was standard kingsford.

I just got a 26inch Weber kettle. Love how big it is. I took my 22inch master touch to the lake house to use there.

Anyone have the rotisserie attachment for the Weber? I have one and it’s the best for chicken and turkeys. Best bird I’ve ever made! I haven’t strayed too far away from those yet.

onlyfire Rotisserie Ring Kit for Weber 22-1/2-Inch Charcoal Kettle Grill and Other Similar Models Amazon product ASIN B00XMTB1KY

You can definitely smoke great on a Weber kettle. It is not "set it and forget it" like a pellet grill, but some people think the smoked product tastes better than a kettle grill.

It's a little more difficult to keep temperature perfectly balanced than a green egg, which is insulated a lot more and is very fine tuned to air flow control.

The three most important things to smoking on a weber for beginners are these, I wish I have come across them sooner than I did:

1. Get a strip of gasket tape like this, and carefully apply it on the rim of the lid where it rests on the kettle.

51wGYAU3WeL._AC_.jpg

This will eliminate extra air escaping to much better hold a steady temperature. As an added bonus, when regular high heat grilling, when you're done cooking and close the vents, it will snuff out the charcoal very quickly, and you can reuse the charcoal over and over.

2. As mentioned above, the snake method if you're trying to do a low and slow. Do a ring of charcoal around the outside of the kettle, four or five briquettes.

weber-snake-method-brisket-1170px-1.jpg

Put the meat above the center gap so it's not directly over the heat. Maybe put a water pan in the gap. The huge advantage of this is that you're restraining the fuel so its almost impossible to have it get away from you and get up to like 400 degrees. Its almost impossible to bring back down after that. With this method, it can fluctuate some with air flow, but it can't go crazy. It's much easier to dial in.

Note, there is one disadvantage to this. Give yourself more time than you need. Don't budget like 10 hour for a pork butt until dinner time. Because if it's not done you won't be able to just bring it up to 400 and power through the last hour with this method, you're kind of stuck with like a 200-300 range. Of course, you could just add a load of charcoal if you take the food and grate off, etc.

3. When you're just getting started, look up the game plan for "turbo" whatever you're going to make. Turbo butt, turbo ribs, some people even do turbo brisket although I haven't tried. Those smoke at a higher temperature for much shorter times, from like 4-7 hours. Keeping 300-325 for 6 hours is WAY easier than 220 for 14 hours. And the outcome is 90% as good. A lot more chance of a 12-14 hour cook going sideways.

I would do a few turbo cooks first for confidence, because you're almost certainly going to get something that tastes awesome. Then if you want to play with longer and lower cooks, you can with more confidence. Most of us (including me) start off trying to master 12+ hour cooks at difficult to maintain temperatures, and THEN once we've mastered that, say "well that shit ain't worth it" and frequently turbo it. Start with turbo cooks to make sure you succeed and eat great.

You can definitely smoke great on a Weber kettle. It is not "set it and forget it" like a pellet grill, but some people think the smoked product tastes better than a kettle grill.

It's a little more difficult to keep temperature perfectly balanced than a green egg, which is insulated a lot more and is very fine tuned to air flow control.

The three most important things to smoking on a weber for beginners are these, I wish I have come across them sooner than I did:

1. Get a strip of gasket tape like this, and carefully apply it on the rim of the lid where it rests on the kettle.

51wGYAU3WeL._AC_.jpg

This will eliminate extra air escaping to much better hold a steady temperature. As an added bonus, when regular high heat grilling, when you're done cooking and close the vents, it will snuff out the charcoal very quickly, and you can reuse the charcoal over and over.

2. As mentioned above, the snake method if you're trying to do a low and slow. Do a ring of charcoal around the outside of the kettle, four or five briquettes.

weber-snake-method-brisket-1170px-1.jpg

Put the meat above the center gap so it's not directly over the heat. Maybe put a water pan in the gap. The huge advantage of this is that you're restraining the fuel so its almost impossible to have it get away from you and get up to like 400 degrees. Its almost impossible to bring back down after that. With this method, it can fluctuate some with air flow, but it can't go crazy. It's much easier to dial in.

Note, there is one disadvantage to this. Give yourself more time than you need. Don't budget like 10 hour for a pork butt until dinner time. Because if it's not done you won't be able to just bring it up to 400 and power through the last hour with this method, you're kind of stuck with like a 200-300 range. Of course, you could just add a load of charcoal if you take the food and grate off, etc.

3. When you're just getting started, look up the game plan for "turbo" whatever you're going to make. Turbo butt, turbo ribs, some people even do turbo brisket although I haven't tried. Those smoke at a higher temperature for much shorter times, from like 4-7 hours. Keeping 300-325 for 6 hours is WAY easier than 220 for 14 hours. And the outcome is 90% as good. A lot more chance of a 12-14 hour cook going sideways.

I would do a few turbo cooks first for confidence, because you're almost certainly going to get something that tastes awesome. Then if you want to play with longer and lower cooks, you can with more confidence. Most of us (including me) start off trying to master 12+ hour cooks at difficult to maintain temperatures, and THEN once we've mastered that, say "well that shit ain't worth it" and frequently turbo it. Start with turbo cooks to make sure you succeed and eat great.
Thanks for this helpful info.

Anyone have the rotisserie attachment for the Weber? I have one and it’s the best for chicken and turkeys. Best bird I’ve ever made! I haven’t strayed too far away from those yet.

onlyfire Rotisserie Ring Kit for Weber 22-1/2-Inch Charcoal Kettle Grill and Other Similar Models

I don't know if its this one, but there's one that's a combo rotisserie and pizza oven, which is tempting.

Reactions: BrunoMars420
I just got a 26inch Weber kettle. Love how big it is. I took my 22inch master touch to the lake house to use there.

Jealous. My nest keeps getting emptier, but somehow I just keep cooking the same amount of food. With most of the grilling I do on two zones, the 22" still feels small sometimes.

I bought this product and I will say I did not enjoy the meat. It is probably the charcoal I was using, which was standard kingsford.

I really like the Kingsford competition or professional that is really affordable at Costco. I never had a taste problem with regular Kingsford and use it in a pinch, but the competition has less stuff in it and creates way less ash. Love it.

I've been looking at this vortex a lot, because I'm a bit of an addict, but just can't pull the trigger. I already have a slow and sear I use for two zones. The main thing people love the vortex for is for wings, and if I do wings I do them the traditional way and deep fry them. I can't figure out what I need it for.

Jealous. My nest keeps getting emptier, but somehow I just keep cooking the same amount of food. With most of the grilling I do on two zones, the 22" still feels small sometimes.
Yeah I have two young kids and and it seems the older they get the more room I need. Even cooking for four with the meat and then all the veggies I usually grill, the 22inch was tight. I had a kettle at the lake before but it got pretty beat up from renters, so I am going to 'restore' that one and figure I will do the same with the master touch and swap it out with the one I restore when it start looking beat up.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT