ADVERTISEMENT

The Wide Receiver Room

Ripcord280

HR All-State
Aug 30, 2016
so, what is up with Keagan Johnson? thought I saw in here a while back that he had some serious health issues. if so, that is not good. Arland Bruce and him were pretty impressive as true freshman last year, and we need both for 2022. also, Brody Brecht may or may not blossom as we hope. I am a bit skeptical that dues to his other committment, that he will totally develop as a football player. sure hope so, because he could be like McNutt or the like.

then there is Ragani, the elder statesman of the group.

I guess what I am saying is that I am a bit concerned because of KJ's supposed health and Brecht's baseball committment, that we may be weak inthe WR department this year.

sure hope you guys are right. I could have sworn that I saw something in this form a month or two ago that he had issues. always hope for the best, and I certainly do not mean to start false rumors.

KJ is fine, he had kidney stones or something during the citrus bowl. I think he had a minor thing before the spring game and they decided to not play him as a precaution. Nothing bad, just not worth making it worse

Brecht should be good too, I think he’ll make a run at the X spot this season

Wouldn’t rule out Wetjen or Bostick making an impact.

Hopefully he's healthy. Nothing has really changed in the last 12 months in my mind. The groups with the most questions surrounding them are the exact same as last year. Receivers, Oline and QB still have something to prove for an offense that needs those positions to improve dramatically. Otherwise it's going to look much like last year with the defense and special teams expecting to carry most of the load.

Diante vines. Kind of forgotten man I’m curious to see if he makes a case for playing time this year as 4/5 guy.

thx for remind me about Vines. I had largely forgotten abot him. I guess he has not made much noise yet. I would really like him to take Charlie JOnes' spot on the kickoff/ punt teams. seems like a natural fit.

KJ is fine, he had kidney stones or something during the citrus bowl....... Nothing bad....
I had kidney stones about 6 years ago and would have glady taken a bullet if I had to endure more than a full day of that pain ! The procedure to remove them is no joke either.

I get what your saying though, If it was kidney stones for KJ it was probably relatively minor case given his age and, of course, it wasn;t a ACL or fracture... it could have been worse.

The WR room definitely needs to continue to be built ... however, our offense is rarely at its best when we rely upon a finesse WR-game.

When the Hawk O is at its most efficient ... we have TEs forcing Ds to bracket ... we have Ds stacking the box to stop the run ... and then we hit the play-action over their heads. Once the play-action softens up the D ... then the running game is more apt to go all anaconda on the opposition.

Bruce and Johnson are both very impressive with the ball. My question is - are they big enough to go up and get a 50/50 ball? Unless the Hawks find a QB that throws dimes, they will need some guys making plays on the catch.

Bruce and Johnson are both very impressive with the ball. My question is - are they big enough to go up and get a 50/50 ball? Unless the Hawks find a QB that throws dimes, they will need some guys making plays on the catch.
Actually, I think KJ is pretty physical going up for the ball and initial contact as witnessed by a couple big plays he made last season. Yes, he needs to work on the consistency of his craft, and I'm sure thats happening. Another guy in the mix will probably be Jackson Ritter #29. Yes a walk on, but he garnered some playing time last season and did fairly well as I recall. Also has decent size at 6'3" 215lbs listed. As mentioned I'd bet Wetjen gets a look at some time and on special teams.

Actually, I think KJ is pretty physical going up for the ball and initial contact as witnessed by a couple big plays he made last season. Yes, he needs to work on the consistency of his craft, and I'm sure thats happening. Another guy in the mix will probably be Jackson Ritter #29. Yes a walk on, but he garnered some playing time last season and did fairly well as I recall. Also has decent size at 6'3" 215lbs listed. As mentioned I'd bet Wetjen gets a look at some time and on special teams.
I am waiting with baited breath for the emergence of Brody Brecht (and I am not referring to his pitching skills)

We could really use somebody like him to emerge. Kind of like a Marivn McNutt type, maybe

Size helps but there are several attributes that are equally or even more important. That's why it's not uncommon to see some 6-5 guys consistently outrebound 6-8 guys.

I know not as far down field but I think we will see more of Lachey and laporta on the field at same time with Lachey being that guy especially in the red zone can toss it up to. I think Keegan is big enough too. I remember first series padilla came in vs NW he made a nice contested jump ball on the sideline.

Sometimes the video is real and a player's weak competition deceiving. Wetjen has shown both great quickness, great footwork and moves and enough speed to gain substantial YAC. Looks like a very good punt and kick returner. I think this guy has a bigger upside than credited.

Last edited:
Obviously a huge question mark coming into the season. Not sure if it was good or bad that our 2 best receivers last year were 2 true Freshmen. Good that we have them for 3 more years but also shows how weak the rest of the room was/is. Ragaini was terribly inconsistent last year. Has to be better. Both Freshmen hopefully will take another big step this year. Would really be nice to see someone else that's not just a plucky over achiever if you know what I mean step up and make some plays this year.

KJ is fine, he had kidney stones or something during the citrus bowl. I think he had a minor thing before the spring game and they decided to not play him as a precaution. Nothing bad, just not worth making it worse

Brecht should be good too, I think he’ll make a run at the X spot this season

In the recent podcast with Copeland, a name that came up before Wetjen and Bostick was Wick. I would love to see Brecht make his way on to the field this fall. Would be huge to be able to move KJ around more

The WR room definitely needs to continue to be built ... however, our offense is rarely at its best when we rely upon a finesse WR-game.

When the Hawk O is at its most efficient ... we have TEs forcing Ds to bracket ... we have Ds stacking the box to stop the run ... and then we hit the play-action over their heads. Once the play-action softens up the D ... then the running game is more apt to go all anaconda on the opposition.
Why do you call passing to WRs finesse? I mean the best offenses in the Kirk era had huge years by WRs.

Ragaini was terribly inconsistent last year.
He cannot be this season. Nico had way too many drops for a receiver known for good hands. He and Tracy were both very disappointing early last season.

The freshman starters were more a sign of superior recruiting. They moved past two entrenched players pretty fast, which was only surprising because the Tracy and Nico opened the season so poorly.

add Mota and hopefully the Kid from Tennessee who is big and really high points the ball well , be really good red zone target, Get Him and the room is lengthened . Those CC transfers , watch em , they are like those pesky NW WRs that always drove the Hawks nuts.

has anyone speculated who will be the 3 main Wide Receivers this year?

will it be Keagan Johnson, Nico Ragaini, and Arland Bruce?

I love those guys.. but they gotta be better at catching the football.

Reactions: Pawkhawk1

Assume so. Nico along with Tracy had too many drops last year for us. Even laporta needs to cut down on them. Without a proven 4th wr I think we will see more 2 TEs on the field with Lachey being a good big body receiver.

Reactions: Ree4 and F5n5

Brian is gonna have to utilize a two-tight end set often I think, with the occasional deep ball to K. Johnson on the outside and short routes to the RB sneaking out of the backfield and into LB territory over the middle.

Happy Feet Spencer will have to get the ball out early (TE's) before he has enough time to convince himself a toss into the bleachers is a good idea.

Regarding the line - I don't care if the entire OL consists of "underclassmen." They need to be ready to play...now.

That TE transfer Stilianos (sp) is listed at 264 lbs - hopefully we can fool the D into thinking he's only in there as a blocker and then BOOM, short catch long run.

Last edited:
He cannot be this season. Nico had way too many drops for a receiver known for good hands. He and Tracy were both very disappointing early last season.

The freshman starters were more a sign of superior recruiting. They moved past two entrenched players pretty fast, which was only surprising because the Tracy and Nico opened the season so poorly.
Nico would also be helped by more catchable balls coming his way. That being said, it's true we can't have as many drops as last year, and still expect to be a serious contender this year.....

ADVERTISEMENT