ADVERTISEMENT

The worst city to live in each state.

lucas80

HR King
Gold Member
Jan 30, 2008
In my opinion it's a little odd that Des Moines is the entry for Iowa. Most of the ratings seem driven by employment opportunities and crime, with a smattering of tax issues. Des Moines seems to be rated low due to it's crime rate. I don't live in Des Moines, but, it's a big driver in economic growth. My experience with Des Moines is mainly from going to I-Cubs games, and the last 5-6 years have seen a boom in downtown growth, and I see a lot of new developments planned to reclaim former business sites. I take it the rest of Des Moines is a dump?
http://247wallst.com/special-report/2017/09/08/worst-cities-to-live-in-every-state/

Wow. Dumb article is dumb.

Des Moines is by far the best city in Iowa to live from an economic standpoint.

Reactions: ghost80
Miami Beach is the worst city in Florida?

I could name 3 cities in my county that are far worse than Miami Beach,
I guess the author has never stopped for gas in Lehigh Acres. I seriously thought I was going to be murdered.

Reactions: PCBHAWK
I guess the author has never stopped for gas in Lehigh Acres. I seriously thought I was going to be murdered.

West Palm Beach has homes worth 5 million on one street and the next street over is crackville.

They got Arizona right with Tucson....but I'm not sure what they're trying to do. In some cases, they're clearly going highest crime rate, so picking the biggest city. Then they pick a place in California I've never heard of...lots of that is my own ignorance about Cali, but there are probably 70 cities they could have picked that I'd have at least heard of. Camden not being NJ's pick is a disqualifier and then for NC the picked a "suburb" of Charlotte that's a haul from here and out in the sticks. That's a city?

For half the states I saw, the city they picked is probably the only place I'd be willing to live.

Outside of world class water quality I would have to go with Ames.

This list is crap. The first 2 are totally wrong. Birmingham and Anchorage are the two only acceptable cities (for me) in their respective states. Could you imagine living in any other city in Alabama? Birmingham is the only one with any semblance of life and culture.

Reactions: PerkyForHerky
They got Arizona right with Tucson....but I'm not sure what they're trying to do. In some cases, they're clearly going highest crime rate, so picking the biggest city. Then they pick a place in California I've never heard of...lots of that is my own ignorance about Cali, but there are probably 70 cities they could have picked that I'd have at least heard of. Camden not being NJ's pick is a disqualifier and then for NC the picked a "suburb" of Charlotte that's a haul from here and out in the sticks. That's a city?

For half the states I saw, the city they picked is probably the only place I'd be willing to live.
Yeah, but there are only like 3 cities in Arizona.

This list is crap. The first 2 are totally wrong. Birmingham and Anchorage are the two only acceptable cities (for me) in their respective states. Could you imagine living in any other city in Alabama? Birmingham is the only one with any semblance of life and culture.
The Dothan Chamber of Commerce would like a word with you.

They literally just picked the biggest urban centers, which obviously will have higher cost of living and poverty level.

I live in Omaha and can think zero places in Nebraska I'd rather live than here (not saying much, I get it)

They literally just picked the biggest urban centers, which obviously will have higher cost of living and poverty level.

I live in Omaha and can think zero places in Nebraska I'd rather live than here (not saying much, I get it)

Except when they didn't - California, Illinois, New York, New Jersey, North Carolina, Georgia, Florida, etc.

East St. Louis, Illinois has one of the highest crime
rates, highest unemployment rates, and genuine
poverty with substandard housing in the nation.

Except when they didn't - California, Illinois, New York, New Jersey, North Carolina, Georgia, Florida, etc.
North Carolina used a suburb of Charlotte, New York (Buffalo) was an urban center, Miami is also an urban center. Not the biggest, but nearly all were urban centers. It was a lazy article. Happy nitpicking

North Carolina used a suburb of Charlotte, New York (Buffalo) was an urban center, Miami is also an urban center. Not the biggest, but nearly all were urban centers. It was a lazy article. Happy nitpicking

Don't take my comment as a defense of the piece, I think it's trash. The NC suburb is barely a suburb.

Waterloo would make more sense than DM would for worst city. It has a higher per capita crime rate and much worse economic environment. Or even a place like Ottumwa.

Reactions: ghost80
rockford sucks

tumblr_inline_n2sl24QxTy1rlpk9c.gif

Really dumb.... But given the surrounding areas I could never imagine actually living in Des Moines.

Waterloo would make more sense than DM would for worst city. It has a higher per capita crime rate and much worse economic environment. Or even a place like Ottumwa.
I agree or maybe CR. Have not been to CR lately but I bet it has the crime.

the best thing about Rockford is leno's pizza and beefaroo. well, that's just the experience I had. there's a Chicago deep dish place there too forget the name of it.

or Fort Dodge or Sioux City.......Des Moines is hardly the armpit of Iowa.

Reactions: srams21
Love the Riverside Tap in Lehigh. Great place.

Gotta give Lehigh credit for one thing. For years it's looked like both sides should just fall into the river......but it never has and the town is still alive and kickin.

Never been in the Riverside Tap. Place always looked a little too scary but it has been quite a few years since I've thought about ducking in.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT