ADVERTISEMENT

the worst thing I ever did was go to the University of Minnesota

ichawk24

HR Legend
Nov 21, 2005

Former Transfer Val Martin Goes After PJ Fleck, Gophers Football​

PJ Fleck and the Minnesota Gophers, like much of college football, have a love/hate relationship with the NCAA Transfer Portal. We’ve seen some huge contributors pulled out of the portal, but they’ve lost some big time talent to it too. And even when the transfer portal works in your favor and spits talent out, the end result isn’t always a positive.

Val Martin Takes to Twitter to Slam PJ Fleck​

Take Val Martin, a veteran defensive tackle from NC State, who landed in Minnesota prior to the 2021 season, for example. Martin landed in Dinkytown with a lot of prior on-field power-five experience and wound up hating it. Just ask him. Or even easier, check Twitter.

Val Martin was one of many defensive transfers brought in before the 2021 season. And he wasn’t the only defensive tackle. He spent three seasons at NC State, before transferring to Minnesota. He never played over 260 snaps while with North Carolina State.

Context​

Like most upperclassmen who enter the portal, Val Martin came to Minnesota for more playing time. He didn’t get it (156 snaps). Is he mad about that? Obviously. Still, that doesn’t mean his Twitter accusations are false or should be immediately disregarded.

Martin is not the first player to go after PJ Fleck, on Twitter or elsewhere. Not only have I written blogs about public challengers, but I’ve often defended him. I can confirm through my own sources, however, that there are plenty of former Minnesota Gophers football players who loathed their experience at the University of Minnesota, under Fleck.

All I know is that if you read that guy's responses, there's no way he graduates college without a lot of "help".

Hard to take another person serious talking like that.
Because how a college guy acts on Twitter is actually how they communicate if they choose to in a more professional setting. Don't get me wrong, there would be some questions I would have for Mr. Martin if interviewing him, but people using shorthand on Twitter when replying from their phone is not unusual.

I've wondered how convoluted Fleck's schtick is. From what Martin and others have said, pretty much confirms what I thought about Fleck. He's overcome some personal tragedy and actually think he can coach, but some of his over the top stuff is really about him.

There are always two sides to every story, unfortunately we usually only hear about one. This kid might be right, Fleck might be a total douche, then again he might just be pissed because he transfers and rides the pine. However, Iowa has it's Arum Wadley's out there with an axe to grind. It's unfortunate that lies are so prevalent in our society that you never know what is true and what is complete BS. But I think their is far more BS in the world then truth. ;)

All I know is that if you read that guy's responses, there's no way he graduates college without a lot of "help".

My first thought too!! Nc st and minny must be very similar to braska :)

PJ Fleck and the Minnesota Gophers, like much of college football, have a love/hate relationship with the NCAA Transfer Portal. We’ve seen some huge contributors pulled out of the portal, but they’ve lost some big time talent to it too. And even when the transfer portal works in your favor and spits talent out, the end result isn’t always a positive.

Take Val Martin, a veteran defensive tackle from NC State, who landed in Minnesota prior to the 2021 season, for example. Martin landed in Dinkytown with a lot of prior on-field power-five experience and wound up hating it. Just ask him. Or even easier, check Twitter.

Val Martin was one of many defensive transfers brought in before the 2021 season. And he wasn’t the only defensive tackle. He spent three seasons at NC State, before transferring to Minnesota. He never played over 260 snaps while with North Carolina State.

Context​

Like most upperclassmen who enter the portal, Val Martin came to Minnesota for more playing time. He didn’t get it (156 snaps). Is he mad about that? Obviously. Still, that doesn’t mean his Twitter accusations are false or should be immediately disregarded.

Martin is not the first player to go after PJ Fleck, on Twitter or elsewhere. Not only have I written blogs about public challengers, but I’ve often defended him. I can confirm through my own sources, however, that there are plenty of former Minnesota Gophers football players who loathed their experience at the University of Minnesota, under Fleck.

If you buy into his bs, then you get what you get....

There are always two sides to every story, unfortunately we usually only hear about one. This kid might be right, Fleck might be a total douche, then again he might just be pissed because he transfers and rides the pine. However, Iowa has it's Arum Wadley's out there with an axe to grind. It's unfortunate that lies are so prevalent in our society that you never know what is true and what is complete BS. But I think their is far more BS in the world then truth. ;)
Fleck is a douche. That’s fairly apparent.

Reactions: scotthawk1964
Very well said!

Sounds like he has an axe to grind more than anything. Nonstory.
I don't think so. There are current guys on the team putting stuff out there anonymously and other former players that basically say the exact same thing. And really, it is all easy to believe because that is exactly how he comes across to me and people who don't buy his schtick.

It is more than just him.

There is a reason every year they have multiple players decommit before signing day. I believe it was a few years ago and think it an article on ISU rb Jihrel Brock after he committed to them. He said in an interview on their big recruiting weekend the pressure PJ pulls to try and make them commit before they leave. There is a reason he can't shake the used car salesman reputation.

Reactions: chaneccooms
There is a reason every year they have multiple players decommit before signing day. I believe it was a few years ago and think it an article on ISU rb Jihrel Brock after he committed to them. He said in an interview on their big recruiting weekend the pressure PJ pulls to try and make them commit before they leave. There is a reason he can't shake the used car salesman reputation.
Are you thinking of ISM?

And really, it is all easy to believe because that is exactly how he comes across to me and people who don't buy his schtick.
You mean anyone with a brain? Lmao

If these kids dont have enough common sense to see this, they're prolly SOL no matter where they go.

It's like any idiot that would go to braska. Frost throws his players and coaches under the bus constantly..... Don't whine when the the bus is on you cornsuckers!

Reading this and seeing how ignorant kids are these days, wait a few years into nil to hear how many ended up getting screwed and the whining they do!!

Will be interesting to say the least.

I read the 1st 2 but that's all I could read.

Kids these days are dumb as shit!!

I agree but after the mess the Hawks were in with Wadley and co., I am in a "misery loves company" type of mood.

It is funny how every one of us assumes all of this stuff about Fleck from the outside. Some of these thoughts are allegedly being verified by a few players. How do kids not see this during recruiting?

Also, the use of the English language is not a priority.

Reactions: nbanflfactory
Sounds like he has an axe to grind more than anything. Nonstory.
I agree.

Doesn't seem like Fleck wronged him at all. Just seems like he didn't like him.

746303_l6P2qVZK.jpg

Nah, that’s par for the course for Gen Z. Most of them can’t put together coherent thoughts together without some sort of assistance.

Many of these guys are delusional about their success or lack thereof. Like Uncle Rico - if only.....! They arent in the league because - fill in the blank - but always somebody else's fault. I though Fleck has been maturing somewhat and frankly, thought he was quite gracious and complimentary towards Iowa last year. Swayed me a little admittedly.

Context​

dumb-and-dumber-jim-carrey.gif

I agree but after the mess the Hawks were in with Wadley .......
Also, the use of the English language is not a priority.
Wadley was a complete fu** up. He brought ALL of his problems on himself. Unfortunately, we live in a "everyone is racists until proven otherwise " climate. So he gets his day in the sympathetic courts. What jackass.

Minnesota won last year, effectively sending Iowa to Indy.

I don't even understand the point of the article. " I can confirm through my sources that other players didn't enjoy playing football at Minnesota"

lmao. no shit Sherlock.

That's every team that ever existed.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT