ADVERTISEMENT

The X-Factor: WR Nick Easley

ichawk24

HR Legend
Nov 21, 2005
I feel a lot of the season hinges on Nick Easley.

WR is a huge question mark. VandeBerg is supposedly healthy, but is he really? We are expecting him to come back at a high level, but he may fight injuries all year, or his level of play may have dropped.

Even if MVB is back and healthy, you can't succeed with just one WR. Easley has been touted by the depth chart and the coaches since he arrived on campus in the Spring. He was very productive at JUCO ball, and looks like he can at least move the chains and give us a KMM-level player. Hopefully better than KMM. If MVB is healthy, he will draw the attention of defenses, giving Easley an opportunity to make catches.

Devonte Young appears to be stepping up, but the evidence on him thus far is thin.

I'll call it right now. Easley leads the Hawkeyes in receptions and receiving yards. Hopefully MVB and Young and company can also be productive.

Hawkeyes go 10-2.

WR is a huge question mark. VandeBerg is supposedly healthy, but is he really? We are expecting him to come back at a high level, but he may fight injuries all year, or his level of play may have dropped.

Even if MVB is back and healthy, you can't succeed with just one WR. Easley has been touted by the depth chart and the coaches since he arrived on campus in the Spring. He was very productive at JUCO ball, and looks like he can at least move the chains and give us a KMM-level player. Hopefully better than KMM. If MVB is healthy, he will draw the attention of defenses, giving Easley an opportunity to make catches.

Devonte Young appears to be stepping up, but the evidence on him thus far is thin.

I'll call it right now. Easley leads the Hawkeyes in receptions and receiving yards. Hopefully MVB and Young and company can also be productive.

Hawkeyes go 10-2.
I still think Brandon Smith plays this year as a red zone and YAC type receiver.

Around the time of the Kid's Day practice ... Easley was having ham-string issues. If he's recovered from these issues, then I agree with the OP about Easley. However, if he hasn't yet recovered ... then I'd measure my expectations as they relate to Easley.

Reactions: juana
If our season hinges on Easley being able to be our leading receiver in receptions and yards, we are in trouble.
Absolutely ... however, if a healthy Easley is our #2 WR ... then we will need solid production from our #2 WR. If the past serves as any sort of precedent, even with Powell as a late arrival to campus prior to the '13 season ... he still put up nearly 300 yards on 12 receptions. While Easley wouldn't touch that YPC, he's very likely good for more catches and just as much yardage (likely more).

Both Powell and Easley shared the background of being highly successful JUCO WRs. While Powell as renown for his speed ... Easley brings a different, but no less valuable of a skill-set. Easley is a beefier young man - likely translating better to down-field blocking AND beating physical DB play. Also, Easley has always been overlooked throughout his football career ... so he's likely a better addition to the locker-room (in terms of work-ethic, motivation, etc).

Reactions: cmhawks99
If our season hinges on Easley being able to be our leading receiver in receptions and yards, we are in trouble.

I didn't say our season hinges on him being the leading receiver, just his overall play.

Expecting our #2 WR to be a big factor is not a stretch. But for all the caterwauling about the QB position and everything, Easley has been barely discussed around here, and will be a huge part of the offense.

Regardless of who it is, having 2+ wide receivers who can work themselves open vs 1 (or zero!) is going to be critical [Cap'n Obvious statement, I know]. I'm optimistic Easily can be that second guy.

Agree.wild card with experience.but slot receiver?MR.AKRUM and james butler.other team has to watch that with good cover man.Spreads field.KOK very good with JAIL BREAK NO?

Interesting you say this..........I've been around this board off and on clear back to 02. Long enough to hear the fans complain about the jail break screen to wondering why it never got called.....LOL Showing of course...you can't win.

I didn't say our season hinges on him being the leading receiver, just his overall play.

Expecting our #2 WR to be a big factor is not a stretch. But for all the caterwauling about the QB position and everything, Easley has been barely discussed around here, and will be a huge part of the offense.
Expecting any Iowa wide receiver to be a "big factor" is a stretch in and of itself.

Reactions: millah_22
Agree.wild card with experience.but slot receiver?MR.AKRUM and james butler.other team has to watch that with good cover man.Spreads field.KOK very good with JAIL BREAK NO?
Nice idea but it really depends on whether we have the an OT that can get out and hit that kick-out block. It's hard for the OT to get out there that fast. Bulaga was a stud ... and he always missed that block (he probably could do it in practice, otherwise we wouldn't have tried in games). Oddly enough, we did some WR screens when we had Scherff ... he could make that block. Obviously, Gallery was quite good at getting out there and making the block. Anybody recall if Reiff was able to execute it with any frequency?

We are going to have to be patient if we want to see what WR are capable of this year. My guess is Vandeberg will be the only WR to catch a pass on Saturday and he may only catch one. We will probably only throw 10 passes. It is going to be a tough, grind it out, kind of game.

We are going to have to be patient if we want to see what WR are capable of this year. My guess is Vandeberg will be the only WR to catch a pass on Saturday and he may only catch one. We will probably only throw 10 passes. It is going to be a tough, grind it out, kind of game.

Your premise is sound but I disagree with it. I expect we will throw at least 25 passes and try to get a lot of people involved. Keep in mind we will surely run at least 65 plays so that still leaves 40 carries. In a grind it out game.

My hope for Easley is that, as a JC player, he can step in with some maturity and bridge the gap until a younger quicker guy behind him on this depth chart can catch up and be a field-stretcher for us.

Reactions: Stormn Norman
My hope for Easley is that, as a JC player, he can step in with some maturity and bridge the gap until a younger quicker guy behind him on this depth chart can catch up and be a field-stretcher for us.

You don't have to be "fast", whatever fast is, to be a field stretcher.

All I know is I watched Easley's film and the kid's got some swag to go with his numbers. Really like his skills and am expecting him to make some plays for sure.

That's some lofty expectations for the JC transfer where I hope he can contribute positively for the team my expectations for that type of production actually go to Our hybrid 6'5 250 TE/WR named Noah, I think he's our X-Man this year! And Nate's biggest and easiest target..

Reactions: iowa surfer
I have the feeling we're going to see a lot of WR's play Saturday (say at least 4 to 5 different guys on offense alone), and we will thru the course of the season see guys like Hock and Fant split out with say a 2nd or 3rd blocking TE staying put to block...all to create size matchups and extend the depth options I'll call it out wide.

At this point, I have no clue who will emerge at WR, I just hope we stay healthy enough to see the guys get enough PT to be viable options if someone goes down.

Right now, good health at receiver the entire year is paramount for the passing game to build confidence and reliability.

I have the feeling we're going to see a lot of WR's play Saturday (say at least 4 to 5 different guys on offense alone), and we will thru the course of the season see guys like Hock and Fant split out with say a 2nd or 3rd blocking TE staying put to block...all to create size matchups and extend the depth options I'll call it out wide.

At this point, I have no clue who will emerge at WR, I just hope we stay healthy enough to see the guys get enough PT to be viable options if someone goes down.

Right now, good health at receiver the entire year is paramount for the passing game to build confidence and reliability.

Opposed to defense?

Seriously? I not a betting man per say, but I'll take that and bet the farm! So your saying that MVB catches ONE pass, and the group of Young, Easley, Smith, Falconer, Cooper, ISM, Dafney don't catch ONE pass? If this game plays out like that, we're in for a long season. :(

Seriously? I not a betting man per say, but I'll take that and bet the farm! So your saying that MVB catches ONE pass, and the group of Young, Easley, Smith, Falconer, Cooper, ISM, Dafney don't catch ONE pass? If this game plays out like that, we're in for a long season. :(
We have a slot receiver and james.They will catch passes SPREAD FIELD NO?Plus mvb and noah.and what else??

That's some lofty expectations for the JC transfer where I hope he can contribute positively for the team my expectations for that type of production actually go to Our hybrid 6'5 250 TE/WR named Noah, I think he's our X-Man this year! And Nate's biggest and easiest target..

I like what Nick did today but like I said earlier in the week Mr. Fant is the X-Man! 2 TD's just needs to stop with the drops!

Reactions: ichawk24
I like what Nick did today but like I said earlier in the week Mr. Fant is the X-Man! 2 TD's just needs to stop with the drops!
Do not doubt it. Frant and brother head coach lots of reps during off season .but both now 2 matts rb's inslot.wr. not a .
. problem.

After 3 games, Easley leads the team with 16 catches (MVB second with 8) and 162 yards (Wadley second with 152). He has led the team in catches in all 3 games.

He is second with TD with 2 (Fant with 3). Nick became the first player under KFz to score receiving TDs in his first two games, and momentarily had a TD in 3 straight games until a questionable replay review called back a TD.

Hawkeyes go 10-2.

He's strikes me as a stronger version of MVB. Decent speed, really good hands and the ability to run downhill. Also, watched the N Texas games again last night. How in the hell did they take Easley's TD away? He was well across the goal line holding the ball.

From what I could see Easley was holding the ball with just one hand but tucked against his body. After he crossed the goal line his momentum caused his arm to swing away from his body. Carrying it like a loaf of bread they used to say. But still carrying it.

Then he gets further crunched and the ball comes loose.

That made me think it was a TD. There was nothing to make me think it wasn't a TD.

Reactions: hawkbleeder
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT