ADVERTISEMENT

Theo Akwuba

If Fran continues to strike out there's always the possibility of bringing back everyone's favorite 3 point shooter that is still in the portal. He has 1 year of eligibility left and is familiar with the program! Go get him Fran!

Common sense? All due respect, there are plenty of guys that go pro knowing they won't be a 1st rounder. If a kid was told he'd go in the second round or would have a good shot at being called up quickly, it might warrant staying in the draft.

I hope we get Kris back and I hope we land a big man. Those two things could lead to another special season.

I agree with you. I don't believe it takes being a 1st rounder for him to go pro. If a team shows a lot of interest in him then he might be willing to accept a later round pick. I'm sure right now he's saying 1st round or nothing, but that can sure change based on conversations with teams. It's like selling your car, at first you claim you won't sell it for anything less than x, then someone shows up and they're a big hawkeye fan and they tell you how much they love the car but only have so much money. You give in and sell the car for y.

I agree with you. I don't believe it takes being a 1st rounder for him to go pro. If a team shows a lot of interest in him then he might be willing to accept a later round pick. I'm sure right now he's saying 1st round or nothing, but that can sure change based on conversations with teams. It's like selling your car, at first you claim you won't sell it for anything less than x, then someone shows up and they're a big hawkeye fan and they tell you how much they love the car but only have so much money. You give in and sell the car for y.
Who said this for a fact? I understand 1st round and he's gone. I have never heard any of the Murrays say if not the first round then he's for sure coming back. Did I miss something or are people just parroting each other at this point?

I'm not sure a NIL deal would sway his decision too much outside of something completely outrageous which isn't happening. I think it's more about mindset. If he wants to move on and he's being told that he's got a great shot at getting drafted I see him probably moving on. If he's not actively looking to move on then he'll probably return if the odds of getting a first round pick are low. JoeW was the same age when he left after being told he's a likely second round pick and it's worked out pretty well so far. He could have stayed another year if he wanted but he'd made the decision that he wanted to start the next chapter. I'm not exactly sure why Kris would weigh it differently if the opportunity is there, especially with Keegan moving on.
If Kris is only getting second round feedback he has the potential to move up significantly higher in the draft next year, Weiskamp did not.

Common sense? All due respect, there are plenty of guys that go pro knowing they won't be a 1st rounder. If a kid was told he'd go in the second round or would have a good shot at being called up quickly, it might warrant staying in the draft.

I hope we get Kris back and I hope we land a big man. Those two things could lead to another special season.
What I was talking about is if a team says we are going to take you late in the first round if you stay in the draft. They give you a guarantee, privately, which happens fairly frequently in the NBA. Common sense is you would stay in the draft.

I'm pretty confident Iowa fans will see Kris back in an Iowa uniform next season.

Kris has really good people advising him. The NBA drafts more on potential than they do on college performance.

He's working out with several NBA level players currently. If he's shining in that environment it's definitely possible he'll get the attention of some scouts and move up to a draft spot.
Exactly, the feed back is coming from the teams.

What they have told all the players from Iowa who have gone through this process recently has pretty much been spot on.

I think that if Kris believes he can make the kind of jump that Keegan made this year, or at least play himself into a top 15 pick, it would make a ton of sense financially for him to bet on himself and come back to Iowa. Here are salary projections for last year’s draft:

As it says in the article, rookie contracts are guaranteed for the first two years, with team options on years three and four. Look at the difference just between pick 15 (Kispert) and pick 25 (Quentin Grimes)

Certainly no guarantee of anything, and actually some risk in the case of injury, but the rationale is there for Kris to come back

Who said this for a fact? I understand 1st round and he's gone. I have never heard any of the Murrays say if not the first round then he's for sure coming back. Did I miss something or are people just parroting each other at this point?

Tom is implying that by saying unless he gets a guarantee he will be back in an iowa uniform. I’m personally not convinced that will happen. If the right situation happens with a team and he’ll be taken in round 2, Kris may move on.

Tom is implying that by saying unless he gets a guarantee he will be back in an iowa uniform. I’m personally not convinced that will happen. If the right situation happens with a team and he’ll be taken in round 2, Kris may move on.
Well Tom certainly has more information on this specific situation than I do so I'll defer to him on what's happening at the workouts and any feedback that's coming out from Kenyon.

Reactions: BBHawk
yikes-rachel-dratch.gif

What a great get in the portal by a former UNI and Iowa State coach today. Baylor Scheierman was getting recruited by Duke, Kansas, and Kentucky among others. Greg McDermott might have Creighton in the final four next year.

Last edited:
Anyone heartbroken over Theo might take solace in the rumors that one or both of Washington State’s big men are rumored to be headed to the Big Ten. I have no specifics on if it’s Iowa. Both of them are excellent talents who haven’t reached their ceilings. Think Christian Koloko style game. I hope one chooses Iowa.

Anyone heartbroken over Theo might take solace in the rumors that one or both of Washington State’s big men are rumored to be headed to the Big Ten. I have no specifics on if it’s Iowa. Both of them are excellent talents who haven’t reached their ceilings. Think Christian Koloko style game. I hope one chooses Iowa.
Where are you hearing this? Efe I think eliminated Iowa but the Freshman just entered portal recently. I’m guessing Muhomad has not even scheduled visits yet.

Where are you hearing this? Efe I think eliminated Iowa but the Freshman just entered portal recently. I’m guessing Muhomad has not even scheduled visits yet.
It's quite possible Efe changed his mind a couple times from that original list--I think he got so much crap from putting out a list of 35 schools originally that within 24 hours of entering the portal he put out a top 10 list and I haven't heard anything since he did that--doesn't at all mean Iowa is still in it, I have no clue. Eldridge is still following FWIW so not entirely

I won't take solace if they head somewhere else in the Big Ten! ha

Lol yeah, that’s all that happened. It’s ok to say “I was wrong.”
Ok so show me where he says he picked Ole Miss over Iowa because of money? If he says, that then I will say ok this kid did choose Ole Miss over Iowa because of money, But again, Iowa isn't losing guys like this because of NIL. In fact , I am guessing there are pitches made to him that NIL can be made at Iowa. There are still things called relationships, location and fit that affect recruiting. You think ISU got Hasan Ward, or their other transfers because of NIL?

Ok so show me where he says he picked Ole Miss over Iowa because of money? If he says, that then I will say ok this kid did choose Ole Miss over Iowa because of money, But again, Iowa isn't losing guys like this because of NIL. In fact , I am guessing there are pitches made to him that NIL can be made at Iowa. There are still things called relationships, location and fit that affect recruiting. You think ISU got Hasan Ward, or their other transfers because of NIL?
😂 😂

Theo is worth all of this?

I wonder if Theo offered Fran the same deal.
If he did, I hope Fran told him implicitly to go kick sand. Hiring a coach just to recruit is such a bad idea for a ton of reasons. Ole Miss did it because the program is willing to take a high risk since the coach likely will be fired if they don't win next season.

I also think that Iowa is not able to just hire any coach at will due to the rules regarding the posting of coaching positions dictated by the University/Board of Regents.

If he did, I hope Fran told him implicitly to go kick sand. Hiring a coach just to recruit is such a bad idea for a ton of reasons. Ole Miss did it because the program is willing to take a high risk since the coach likely will be fired if they don't win next season.

I also think that Iowa is not able to just hire any coach at will due to the rules regarding the posting of coaching positions dictated by the University/Board of Regents.
All that and the kid just isn't worth it.

Like I said my sources wouldn’t go beyond Big Ten as far as specifics, but you have to look at needs and playing time along with NIL opportunity (being a programs first big deal). I do not know which one is headed where. But I think Iowa could benefit from either greatly.
Gueye is the higher ceiling guy with more eligibility, but Efe is higher floor with more experience. Only reason I haven’t eliminated Efe from a probability is because of other decisions affecting his earlier choices. (He wants a great NIL deal) Some SEC/ACC schools got their free agents already lol.

Reactions: perryhawk
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT