ADVERTISEMENT

Theo Johnson announcing Monday

Tom said in a podcast a few weeks back he wasn’t coming to Iowa.

Franklin won't be at Penn State in 4 years.

Which is why he delayed again and and now locked in on Georgia, The other 3 have TE commits already.. seems like he’s the attention seeking type so only makes sense. We’ll be fine with or without him :D

Last edited:
Why would Franklin leave PSU? Its a blue blood that he is having success at. In a state that he was born in, and has spent over half his life in.

Everyone thinks he would move to .... a different blue blood? Why? To rebuild?

I agree. The only place I could see Franklin going is the NFL and I truly dont know why anyone would want that in today's world.

Why would Franklin leave PSU? Its a blue blood that he is having success at. In a state that he was born in, and has spent over half his life in.

Everyone thinks he would move to .... a different blue blood? Why? To rebuild?
FSU is a blood blood waiting for a coach like Franklin. Of course, it is pure speculation on my part. It just seems that the ACC is a weaker overall conference than the B1G; however, they do have a single team monster at the top of their conference al a tOSU.

He can go to Ped State. I actually would rather have a kid sign that doesn't have to make everything in his life a show. I mean, you get these primadonna's on Twitter that seem to every other week have to have their school list count down, then follow it up by having a big commitment bash followed up by the lame team hat pick. Theo seems to be in that mold. Is he good, probably, but Iowa already has some good ones coming in. If he chooses Iowa's hat, great, if not I ain't losing any sleep over him. ;)

I don't love a lot of things about or O but how we develop and use TE's is one of the things we do as well or better than anyone. Kid's best shot to be NFL tight end is IC. If he wants to join the Pedophile Protectors and doesn't make it I'll chuckle

Reactions: Hawkeyes4Life32
The big announcement does not bode well for the Hawks. These type announcements never seem to go Iowa's way.

Reactions: kceasthawk
He can go to Ped State. I actually would rather have a kid sign that doesn't have to make everything in his life a show. I mean, you get these primadonna's on Twitter that seem to every other week have to have their school list count down, then follow it up by having a big commitment bash followed up by the lame team hat pick. Theo seems to be in that mold. Is he good, probably, but Iowa already has some good ones coming in. If he chooses Iowa's hat, great, if not I ain't losing any sleep over him. ;)

I wholeheartedly agree. The fact that he's putting together this personal hype show makes me doubt how well he would fit in at Iowa. It would be great to have that kind of talent here, but I seriously doubt he would be happy - expected to work hard, cancel his Twitter, compete with talented walkons and earn his way into the lineup. I will be interested to follow his career, wherever he goes.

I wholeheartedly agree. The fact that he's putting together this personal hype show makes me doubt how well he would fit in at Iowa. It would be great to have that kind of talent here, but I seriously doubt he would be happy - expected to work hard, cancel his Twitter, compete with talented walkons and earn his way into the lineup. I will be interested to follow his career, wherever he goes.
What’s he been doing besides the announcement on Monday? I haven’t been following.

Well, I'm all for bringing in some "primmadonna's," some guys that wear real swagger on their sleeve. The rosters at OSU, Clemson, Georgia, and LSU are stacked with these types and guess what, they're all still alive and playing for conference / national championships.

I would like my favorite program to play for and maybe even win some conference championships. Bring the Swag to Iowa City.

With that said, I'm pretty sure we have some future studs already committed so we'll be ok.

Reactions: NITE HAWK6
Kid is not a pre-Madonna. Lol... come on guys. If the dude was picking the Hawks it isn’t viewed that way. Videos are pretty normal. Theo went through the process, made his visits, and didn’t commit and decommit 20 times. Hell our coaches were willing to hold a spot specifically for him.

Time to throw away the sour grapes. Seems like a good kid to me. Let him have his moment.

Kid is not a pre-Madonna. Lol... come on guys. If the dude was picking the Hawks it isn’t viewed that way. Videos are pretty normal. Theo went through the process, made his visits, and didn’t commit and decommit 20 times. Hell our coaches were willing to hold a spot specifically for him.

Time to throw away the sour grapes. Seems like a good kid to me. Let him have his moment.
Do you follow recruiting on Twitter? If you do, you should see what I mean. Theo might be a great kid, not saying he isn't, but "TO ME", the kids on twitter who have to make everything a grand event, are primadonna's. I might be old, I come from the era where when we scored a TD, we just gave the ball to the closest ref and ran back to the huddle. My coach used to say, "If you get to the end zone and score, act like you've been there before". I get it, these kids are excited that they are highly recruited kids, and this is their 15 minutes of Twitter fame, I just prefer a little more modesty and a little less me me me. Just my opinion. That being said, if he chooses Iowa, great, I hope he is all american and lands in the NFL. I ain't got no sour grapes, the kid hasn't choose yet. LOL

Do you follow recruiting on Twitter? If you do, you should see what I mean. Theo might be a great kid, not saying he isn't, but "TO ME", the kids on twitter who have to make everything a grand event, are primadonna's. I might be old, I come from the era where when we scored a TD, we just gave the ball to the closest ref and ran back to the huddle. My coach used to say, "If you get to the end zone and score, act like you've been there before". I get it, these kids are excited that they are highly recruited kids, and this is their 15 minutes of Twitter fame, I just prefer a little more modesty and a little less me me me. Just my opinion. That being said, if he chooses Iowa, great, I hope he is all american and lands in the NFL. I ain't got no sour grapes, the kid hasn't choose yet. LOL
What’s he doing besides his announcement that screams “look at me”?

Reactions: JerseyCityHawki
Give the kid his due and let him enjoy the process because it only happens once. It takes a lot of hard work to get where he is at but it will be much harder once he steps foot on the campus he chooses, whether that be Iowa or not.

Besides, Iowa has two very good tightend prospects coming in with Lachey and Yelverton. Iowa will be fine with or without this young man.

As with all other forms of stereotyping, it is erroneous to assume. It is erroneous to assume 4-5 star kids aren't coachable or hard working as much as assuming 2 star kids are coachable and hard working. AJ Epenesa, as exhibit A in a myriad of exhibits, is as humble, hard working, etc. as any 2 star MAC steal we've ever had. It would be moronic to assume otherwise as observers and/or to recruit based on stars, both for 4-5 star kids or against them it's about fit and the ability to motivate players. 5 star kids are just as motivate-able as 2 star. If they weren't, Clemson, Alabama, Ohio State, etc. would not win title after title against their regional foes.

What may be more accurate is to say 4-5 star kids, generally speaking, are closer to their ceiling earlier. Not necessarily staking a claim on that, but some staffs are better at motivating while others may be better at developing. There is no one size fits all anything.

KF, to his credit, is gifted with self-understanding. He knows who he is and who he can coach through the years. My humble guess is he brought in 2005's class of highly rated kids, saw the fit wasn't good, and went back to what worked. We get 4 stars occasionally, but they have to be of a certain mindset for the staff to see a fit. He values accountability more than talent. He values kids who aren't "problems". Another coach may value ceiling more than accountability and is good at navigating problem kids. It doesn't matter. You can win many ways, and KF has found his way whether one agrees or not.

Give the kid his due and let him enjoy the process because it only happens once. It takes a lot of hard work to get where he is at but it will be much harder once he steps foot on the campus he chooses, whether that be Iowa or not.

Besides, Iowa has two very good tightend prospects coming in with Lachey and Yelverton. Iowa will be fine with or without this young man.

Agreed. About four years ago Noah Fant was a 3-star recruit and T.J. Hockenson was a 2-star recruit. Today they are both millionaires.

Reactions: JerseyCityHawki
Agreed. About four years ago Noah Fant was a 3-star recruit and T.J. Hockenson was a 2-star recruit. Today they are both millionaires.

If Theo wants to develop best and become a first rounder, he will come here.

If he wants to be a pre or post Madonna, he will go elsewhere.

If Theo wants to develop best and become a first rounder, he will come here.

If he wants to be a pre or post Madonna, he will go elsewhere.
The first part is a great point.

The second part, not necessarily. He may feel he will develop anywhere and wants to win conference and national titles which let's be real, he has a better shot at that at PSU or Georgia.

Reactions: pointingdogsrule
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT