ADVERTISEMENT

There’s no shortage of teachers. We’ve just driven them out of schools.

I honestly do NOT think that the VAST majority of teachers are doing any grooming, indoctrinating, politicizing or pushing CRT to kids.
Do I think there’s a very tiny group of “teachers” who for whatever reason I won’t attempt to fathom have come into the profession with a mindset that’s not appropriate nor positive and has been formed by their own life experiences in school? Yes.
Like I said - a tiny number, but with social media being so powerful these problem people are being portrayed as an outsize number and are being given power that has harmed the entire profession.
I wish teachers would be given jobs in schools where they were safe, strongly supported by Administrators and informed and involved School Boards who don’t treat THEIR employers- parents and taxpayers-like the enemy.
And they need to be paid.
This tiny percentage you reference is the same number of folks in every other profession who are problematic.

It's her classroom. Of course she has to have all of those books approved. She probably bought most of them. My wife bought almost every book in her room. No way it's shenanigans.

It’s shenanigans because she is being USED.
You think she would knowingly buy books that were likely NOT to be appropriate?

That’s probably got merit. But they’re not teaching your kiddos are they?
Nope, but if you figure out how to screen out the dangerous ones, let us know how.
Is it OK for them to have any influence on society?

I honestly do NOT think that the VAST majority of teachers are doing any grooming, indoctrinating, politicizing or pushing CRT to kids.
Do I think there’s a very tiny group of “teachers” who for whatever reason I won’t attempt to fathom have come into the profession with a mindset that’s not appropriate nor positive and has been formed by their own life experiences in school? Yes.
Like I said - a tiny number, but with social media being so powerful these problem people are being portrayed as an outsize number and are being given power that has harmed the entire profession.
I wish teachers would be given jobs in schools where they were safe, strongly supported by Administrators and informed and involved School Boards who don’t treat THEIR employers- parents and taxpayers-like the enemy.
And they need to be paid.
1 minute you’ll type a post about education, like this one, and I think it’s pretty brilliant. The next minute you’ll type something conflicting and you don’t sound like the same person. I can’t figure you out on this topic.

It’s shenanigans because she is being USED.
You think she would knowingly buy books that were likely NOT to be appropriate?
Of course not. It’s also a massive waste of those teachers’ time to catalog hundreds of books. Because BS politics. Real fake news.

Reactions: Raglefant
One day would be planning. The other 4 would extend by 2 hours.
I cannot imagine what 1 day of planning would look like....maybe for a first or even second year teacher.

A teacher a few years in I would hope could teach their class with very little planning. It's not like you are going to teach Hamlet differently from year to year. History normally doesn't change. Basic Science stays pretty consistent. Flag football normally stays the same year over year.

Once you have your lesson plans down...or even if teaching a new class and just using someone else's lesson plans...what planning is there to do weekly when most will already have their entire year planned out from prior experience. Just do not see a weekly planning day being used for much actual planning.

Sounds more like a day where a teacher just shows up because they are required to...maybe catch up on some grading.

Is that really what you got out of that or are you embarrassing yourself trying to make a point?
I'm asking that you clarify before you embarrass yourself...again.

Nope, but if you figure out how to screen out the dangerous [teachers], let us know how.
Is it OK for them to have any influence on society?
They can engage all the adults they want.
Are you saying only teachers are restricted to engaging with adults or does that apply to everyone who has contact with children? Are you saying that the "dangerous ones" that you apparently can't identify are the ones who should be limited? How, exactly, would that work if you don't know who they are?

Or was your post just more thoughtless BS?

Clarification is requested. Your post is so vague, you should be embarrassed for typing it.

Reactions: Tom Paris
I cannot imagine what 1 day of planning would look like....maybe for a first or even second year teacher.

A teacher a few years in I would hope could teach their class with very little planning. It's not like you are going to teach Hamlet differently from year to year. History normally doesn't change. Basic Science stays pretty consistent. Flag football normally stays the same year over year.

Once you have your lesson plans down...or even if teaching a new class and just using someone else's lesson plans...what planning is there to do weekly when most will already have their entire year planned out from prior experience. Just do not see a weekly planning day being used for much actual planning.

Sounds more like a day where a teacher just shows up because they are required to...maybe catch up on some grading.

It's not uncommon for people in many professions to have the next year pretty much "dialed in". But the successful teachers, or other professionals, don't settle for that. They catalog the things that went well or didn't go well last year and make adjustments to improve the curriculum, or the way it's presented, etc.

There are opportunities to "mail it in" in almost every job. Successful people don't go there,

Last edited:

For the almost 40 years that my mom taught journalism and American Lit, she was up early finishing prep and up late grading papers. She carried her work on vacations in order to stay caught up.
The fifth day being out of the classroom still would not have compensated her for after hours work. The lady was relentless and her students knew it and appreciated her for her passion.
It truly is a shame the low regard so many have for public education.

For the almost 40 years that my mom taught journalism and American Lit, she was up early finishing prep and up late grading papers. She carried her work on vacations in order to stay caught up.
The fifth day being out of the classroom still would not have compensated her for after hours work. The lady was relentless and her students knew it and appreciated her for her passion.
It truly is a shame the low regard so many have for public education.
I get the grading...specially essays....any real grading of an essay has to take some serious time.

Reactions: billanole

It would be nice if the powers that be would just allow it to be like you are implying. We have so many data collections cycles to do and then they pay for more ways to teach things. I feel really bad when I watch teachers have to read word for word out of a manual instead of actual teaching.

It's not uncommon for people in many professions to have the next year pretty much "dialed in". But the successful teachers, or other professionals, don't settle for that. They catalog the things that went well or didn't go well last year and make adjustments to improve the curriculum, or the way it's presented, etc.

There are opportunities to "mail it in" in almost every job. Successful people don't go there,
Thirty-one years and I still haven't gotten it "dialed in".

And a local news station reported that DMPS has filled 98% of teacher vacancies.

That's hardly a crisis.
My wife (no pics) doesn't teach in DSM, but she teaches in central iowa in a 3A size school and I believe they have most regular teacher positions filled, but they are extremely short on special ed teachers and paras to help in classrooms with special needs kids. She has 5 special ed kids in one class alone and 3 of those are nonverbal and there is no help for her. Last year in a class like that she had a special ed teacher and a para to assist. So now she has TAG kids, other students, and special ed kids that she is supposed to teach 8th grade English and reading to with 0 help. it doesn't work. My personal opinion is we need to go back to special ed classrooms for special ed kids, but that isn't allowed anymore. She had a kid that wore a diaper two years ago. She has a runner this year that will get up and leave at any moment and she is supposed to call the office immediately. it's crazy.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT