ADVERTISEMENT

There’s still hope for BIG football

As I said in another thread, maybe selling every 3rd or 4th row + masks, helps minimize community vector risk. Players get a bio-dome type isolation to live in?

source.gif

At some juncture, in my opinion the university presidents are going to have to come together and decide which way to proceed, preferably as a group. Otherwise, chaos will persist.

If the presidents want to delegate that decision to their respective ADs, fine, but it seems to me the can't escape ultimate responsibility for whatever develops.

If they have already made that decision and it is final, then for gods sake issue a joint statement, or have Warren issue a statement signed by the presidents. They aren't doing themselves any favors otherwise. JMHO.

At some juncture, in my opinion the university presidents are going to have to come together and decide which way to proceed, preferably as a group. Otherwise, chaos will persist.

What would be chaotic about those who want play football playing football, and those who don't want to play football not playing football? It seems to me like 6 teams playing a home and away round robin schedule is pretty simple and straight forward.

If the presidents want to delegate that decision to their respective ADs, fine, but it seems to me the can't escape ultimate responsibility for whatever develops.

If they have already made that decision and it is final, then for gods sake issue a joint statement, or have Warren issue a statement signed by the presidents. They aren't doing themselves any favors otherwise. JMHO.

I agree problem is the awful leadership of Kevin Warren through out this. How this whole thing has played out has been atrocious. He's the man leading this (yes I know he didn't technically vote) and letting all the dysfunction and lack of unity happen.

Then to go silent with out justifying his decision or explaining it clearly, the one he wanted, has made the chaos go on and make the conference look even more worse. As has said by others no way in heck this would've happened with Jim Delaney in charge.

What would be chaotic about those who want play football playing football, and those who don't want to play football not playing football? It seems to me like 6 teams playing a home and away round robin schedule is pretty simple and straight forward.

With those circumstances, it means they would have came together and made the decision, collectively. I think what he's basically trying to say is that until then, the chaotic speculation will continue

The chaos is likely to persist until something is finally decided, and all that entails. Maybe it has already been finally decided..... but the level of confusion is widespread and also persistent.

The conference supposedly made a final decision binding on all members. That's what was decided. No football. No member could go independent. Warren said so, publically - you can't play football and still be considered a member of the conference.

Therefore, any scenario which includes a plan for a minority of schools to play football in violation of the final decision, will necessarily unleash chaos IMO. Are the breakaway "play" schools now in violation of the league's master agreement? If the 6 schools did not get conference approval, will legal action follow? What about revenue-sharing? Many other issues. much confusion.

Cmon I think we all know that there’s no way that Ohio State, Michigan, Penn State, and Nebraska aren’t going to play football this fall because the Rutgers of the world don’t want to play. They’d form their own conference before doing that.

there’s no reason that the schools from the B1G and Pac 12 that want to play can’t form a league for a year and get coast to coast coverage all day long across every time zone

I’m sure 6 would very quickly grow to 10 while Maryland, Rutgers, Northwestern, and Illinois hang out all fall

The chaos is likely to persist until something is finally decided, and all that entails. Maybe it has already been finally decided..... but the level of confusion is widespread and also persistent.

The conference supposedly made a final decision binding on all members. That's what was decided. No football. No member could go independent. Warren said so, publically - you can't play football and still be considered a member of the conference.

Therefore, any scenario which includes a plan for a minority of schools to play football in violation of the final decision, will necessarily unleash chaos IMO. Are the breakaway "play" schools now in violation of the league's master agreement? If the 6 schools did not get conference approval, will legal action follow? What about revenue-sharing? Many other issues. much confusion.

The B1G needs those schools a lot more than those schools need the B1G, both athletically and academically. You don’t bite the hand that feeds you

The B1G needs those schools a lot more than those schools need the B1G, both athletically and academically. You don’t bite the hand that feeds you
That's another discussion. Right now, there is master agreement between all member schools which governs rights and obligations applicable equally to every school. I haven't seen the agreement but my prediction is that a revolt by a group of schools would be deemed a violation of the agreement and would (IMO) trigger litigation. I sense no appetite for that from any member.

If you want to get real, the association of B10 universities is not going to disband over a disagreement between members whether or not to play Fall sports during a pandemic.

That's another discussion. Right now, there is master agreement between all member schools which governs rights and obligations applicable equally to every school. I haven't seen the agreement but my prediction is that a revolt by a group of schools would be deemed a violation of the agreement and would (IMO) trigger litigation. I sense no appetite for that from any member.

If you want to get real, the association of B10 universities is not going to disband over a disagreement between members whether or not to play Fall sports during a pandemic.

We can talk about master agreements and litigation all we want, if Michigan, Ohio State, and Penn State say they are going to do something, nobody is going to get in their way. If the new Commissioner already has growing problems with these schools, he’d be smart to get the hell out of the way because he already has one foot out the door

The more that goes on it seems that some various things are true:

Big 10 schools could not come to any sort of agreement. they didn't even vote.
Warren is basically doing the bidding of the presidents who want to cancel. He does report to them. He is getting thrown out there to be the bad guy, while none of the actual presidents have to respond in any detail.
If Michigan, OSU and PSU really wanted to have football and get some other schools to go along with them, they could do so. No one is kicking Michigan, OSU or Penn State out of the league. Let's be real, most of the other schools are along for the ride. OSU/Mich./PSU are what the TV networks care about, they are what drives up the price tag every time it comes to TV package renewal.
Delany's genius was he was good at the political game with the presidents and on the business side with the TV networks. Warren is either incapable/hamstrung or incompetent. I really don't know yet.

While I understand your point, if OSU and Michigan are two of the schools then there's NO way that sanctions are levied. we all know that ahead of time, so LETS GO Barta......

Warren is basically doing the bidding of the presidents who want to cancel. He does report to them. He is getting thrown out there to be the bad guy, while none of the actual presidents have to respond in any detail.
If Michigan, OSU and PSU really wanted to have football and get some other schools to go along with them, they could do so. No one is kicking Michigan, OSU or Penn State out of the league. Let's be real, most of the other schools are along for the ride. OSU/Mich./PSU are what the TV networks care about, they are what drives up the price tag every time it comes to TV package renewal.
Delany's genius was he was good at the political game with the presidents and on the business side with the TV networks. Warren is either incapable/hamstrung or incompetent. I really don't know yet.
This in a nutshell......No ones going to levy sanctions against OSU or Michigan on this and live to tell about it as far as being employed by the conference...

So if OSU, Michigan and PSU, have that much leverage, would the next step be to renegotiate payouts when new agreement is signed?

Agree with about everything. The big 2 (and others) could decide to play football this Fall.

I have not seen the agreement but what if the sanctions under the agreement make it financially unfeasible?

What if the B10 contract requires that breakaway schools forfeit all revenues gained playing a schedule not approved by the conference? In addition, what if the contract specified addition financial sanctions which could be imposed for doing so? Would the breakaway schools play football if it meant incurring certain monetary losses? I know that's a few big "what ifs" (there may be others, I haven't seen the contract). I'm saying there are probably contractual provisions which disincentivize actions which may be under consideration.

Agee that your scenario regarding Warren is plausible.

Last edited:
So if OSU, Michigan and PSU, have that much leverage, would the next step be to renegotiate payouts when new agreement is signed?
Lets hope not. To this point OSU and Michigan have understood that rising water floats ALL boats. In the long run its better for them for both prestige and yearly ranking if the conference as a whole is strong. This is something the lead dog of the Texas ten never understood.....

Agree with about everything. The big 2 (and others) could decide to play football this Fall.

I have not seen the agreement but what if the sanctions under the agreement make it financially unfeasible?

What if the B10 contract requires that breakaway schools forfeit all revenues gained playing a non-conference approved schedule? In addition, what if the contract specified addition financial sanctions which could be imposed for doing so? Would the breakaway schools play football if it meant incurring certain monetary losses? I know that's a few big "what ifs" (there may be others, I haven't seen the contract). I'm saying there are probably contractual provisions which dis incentivize actions which may be under consideration.

Agee that your scenario regarding Warren is plausible.
Obviously I don't know, BUT it would be like the BIG office bending over and grabbing their ankles if they tried to sanction OSU or Michigan. Would they really risk a power struggle with the two linch pins of the conference? Just don't see it.

Obviously I don't know, BUT it would be like the BIG office bending over and grabbing their ankles if they tried to sanction OSU or Michigan. Would they really risk a power struggle with the two linch pins of the conference? Just don't see it.
Good point. I'll say it again, IMO if any of the breakaway speculation is accurate, at some point the university presidents need to come together and finally decide this thing. Maybe they have and, as DodgerHawk stated, Kevin Warren is out there to be their punching bag.

Lets hope not. To this point OSU and Michigan have understood that rising water floats ALL boats. In the long run its better for them for both prestige and yearly ranking if the conference as a whole is strong. This is something the lead dog of the Texas ten never understood.....

I generally agree East. In the past, it's been the case that what's good for the overall conference and the individual members has been largely the same. This particular issue (COVID and playing or not) has brought up some fundamental differences between schools. OSU would see it as devastating if an NCAA champion is given in football this year and/or playoff happens with just teams from the SEC, ACC and Big 12. They see themselves (realistically) as a national title contender every year. OSU (and some other schools) view being in the Big 10 in this situation as a net negative. So they are going to voice their opinions.

Reactions: kceasthawk
Holy crap! That would be the hardest schedule in Iowa history. It sure would be fun though.

I like Koerner's Dad's response to this. What exactly is going to change with the virus by January? Seriously? Not likely there is a vaccine. They are playing in domes in this plan, not campuses. How is that better? Big 10 could also be playing against themselves only, no chance to compete for a championship if Big 12, SEC and ACC continue in the fall.

Trying to start up in the midst of cold/flu season when everyone will already be paranoid with normal colds and flu sounds like another non-season happening.

https://www.cbssports.com/college-f...-football-season-in-early-january-per-report/

January Football? I'm curious to hear how well thought out this plan would be...A couple telling quotes from this article :

Barry Alvarez has said that the conference wouldn't play "two full seasons" within the same calendar year for fear of the impact that could have on players physically.

So....No football next fall?

"It's a report that coincides with Penn State athletic director Sandy Barbour telling reporters earlier in the week that the league could release a new schedule within a week or so."

I really hope they think this through thoroughly. No way you're going to be playing outdoors in the Midwest in January, so in regards to scheduling, will there be multiple games played at regional sites on a given weekend?

From an eastern Iowa doctor within the last week:

Antibody tests are not a reliable means of telling whether you had the illness in the past or not. He stated give me $200 and I will flip a coin and tell you the result. The answer means nothing.

Stated there is credible medical discussion that at least 100 million US citizens have had or been exposed to COVID already. That is just under 1/3 of the population. Plug in the death number as the numerator.

Also stated this likely ends up like an annual cold in following years.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT