ADVERTISEMENT

There has to be a decent chance game gets postponed tomorrow..

Why is it such a big deal these days anytime we are supposed to get a couple inches of snow? don't get it
Yep. In 1975 was on my way to Aleutian Islands. Caught a cab in a blizzard in Anchorage. Cab got stuck in the snow. Two of us got out and pushed the cab out of it. C'mon, support each other.

Umm, Iowa v. Nebraska wrestling is at 8 on Saturday night. To get a game postponed has a lot of moving parts. Really hard to do. I do wonder, when was the last time a game was cancelled/postponed?

Iowa vs Nebraska in 2013? Lincoln was supposed to be a Thursday? Got pushed to Saturday or Sunday due to weather.

Then Iowa vs Indiana because the roof fell in.

it has been done. I know Iowa -Indiana game postponed one 1979. Think due to weather. All I remember is Iowa beat crap out of Ind and Bobby Knight when game actually played

if Michigan already in town then will probably play Friday night

Michigan is already here. They'll play.

Well, Army @ Holy Cross just got postponed last night and played today...

Extreme circumstances. Holy Cross rowing team had a crash and a student-athlete passed away. Also, a tad different level of a game. One is nationally televised. I could see if TV crew wasn't already here.

The game will be played and televised
on Fox Sports 1. The Big Ten Conference
has a policy of playing games when both
teams are physically present.

Extreme circumstances. Holy Cross rowing team had a crash and a student-athlete passed away. Also, a tad different level of a game. One is nationally televised. I could see if TV crew wasn't already here.
Wow, hadn't seen the context, so thanks for sharing. Also, very true about TV.

I feel like there was a game during the Lick era that might have been postponed (not that anybody noticed). The women had one postponed last year.

The only scenarios though where I can think of a game postponed when the opposing team is already there is if it's something so bad that either 380 or 80 is closed and impassable, or if the Iowa State Patrol calls them and tells them they need to cancel because it's too much of a strain on resources.

The officials don't come in the night before, due to the start time they come in the day of the game. So if 2 out of the 3 make it the game will likely be played, if not it will be postponed.

Why is it such a big deal these days anytime we are supposed to get a couple inches of snow? don't get it

I completely agree. Constant news and social media about every snow fall being the "Snowpocalypse" is the problem. Then on top of it, they cancel school these days for the threat of snow. Cedar Rapids schools cancelled school today ... it hasn't even snowed yet and it is noon.

Reactions: kceasthawk
I completely agree. Constant news and social media about every snow fall being the "Snowpocalypse" is the problem. Then on top of it, they cancel school these days for the threat of snow. Cedar Rapids schools cancelled school today ... it hasn't even snowed yet and it is noon.
It is coming down good here in the Metro at least 3 inches and its windy and coming down hard still, it is going to be worse then you think and it is on your doorstep.

It is coming down good here in the Metro at least 3 inches and its windy and coming down hard still, it is going to be worse then you think and it is on your doorstep.

I am not saying it never happens. I am saying that every time there is a CHANCE of snow, it is blown out proportion these days.

Yep. I graduated in 98 and I bet I could count the times school got cancelled on one hand. Seems like they cancel all the time now and it hardly ever ends up getting bad.

They still could have went and just had an early out.

I’m a believer that these are the best nights for a great crowd even if it’s only 9K or so. The old people are scared off by the weather and only the fanatics show up. Leads to a much better, louder crowd despite being down 4K to 5K in attendance.
this is an one of those extreme examples where you should consider letting students & minors in for free;

maybe make adults pay?

Yep. I graduated in 98 and I bet I could count the times school got cancelled on one hand. Seems like they cancel all the time now and it hardly ever ends up getting bad.

It's really terrible honestly. My kids had school cancelled THIRTEEN times last January/February. I would say at best, half of those days ended up even being a day I could understand it being cancelled (a couple of days of it being unbearably cold and a couple days of bad snow/ice). The other half ... either light dusting or nothing at all. There were at least 2-3 days where they cancelled because the weather report said it was going to be bad so they cancelled for precautionary reasons and it ended up not even snowing that day.

I feel/sound like a "get off my lawn" old man when talking about it but it really is kind of pathetic. I am all for safety but this goes extreme on the other side. Kids start to think anytime there are bumps in the road, they are going to get bailed out. The way it is snowing right now, they would have never cancelled school for that 30 years ago.

It's really terrible honestly. My kids had school cancelled THIRTEEN times last January/February. I would say at best, half of those days ended up even being a day I could understand it being cancelled (a couple of days of it being unbearably cold and a couple days of bad snow/ice). The other half ... either light dusting or nothing at all. There were at least 2-3 days where they cancelled because the weather report said it was going to be bad so they cancelled for precautionary reasons and it ended up not even snowing that day.

I feel/sound like a "get off my lawn" old man when talking about it but it really is kind of pathetic. I am all for safety but this goes extreme on the other side. Kids start to think anytime there are bumps in the road, they are going to get bailed out. The way it is snowing right now, they would have never cancelled school for that 30 years ago.
Spot on. It’s like they have forgot about early outs or late starts.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT