ADVERTISEMENT

There is talent on the offensive side of the ball..

BlackNGoldBleeder

HR Legend
Jun 23, 2017
Not an overabundance, but enough to be serviceable. Kirk really needs to figure out how to get better production out of these guys. The OL is still a mystery. Without dramatic improvement out of the guys up front, it’s going to be a long conference season.

In terms of Petras, I for the most part liked what I saw (I went to bed after the second lightning delay). He moved around the pocket better, seemed more decisive, and was willing to stretch the field with some deep throws. I personally thought his throws downfield were fine and am guessing a lot of the near misses were timing/route adjustment issues largely due to inexperienced receivers (namely Brecht).

With that said, Petras is still not the answer. The physical tools have never been the problem; it’s the conquering of the mental aspect of the game that’s still a concern. I do not see that same level of swagger Petras had against Nevada carry over into conference play. I hope I’m proven wrong, because if he can play with poise and confidence, he’s not as horrible of quarterback as he’s shown. The concern is conference play is going to bring out the same Petras, where we see more of the same in terms of happy feet, lack of poise, an unwillingness to stretch the field, and rushed release points that cause massive overthrows.

IF Petras can carry his play from last night, the game can serve as a stepping stone for the season. It was as confit and accurate as he’s looked in a couple years imo. That’s my hope for the season now. Petras as he played last night can win games for Iowa and have us with a chance for Indy. Petras as he played the first two games probably has a ceiling of 7 or 8 wins.

Petras looked somewhere right at or below the average level against Nevada.. He did make some better throws and seemed to move around a bit better. But quite a few teams in the big ten have about 3 of those Peterson’s on their D line and as much as Matt Millen talked up their D backs (which actually he seemed like he did to praise Petras) that’s a average unit in the conference.. He’s going to need to get better every week against better competition.. 😬

So your best guess is that this game was a one-off for Petras? I hope you're wrong. I really liked what I saw from him for the first time since 2020...
The reason to be hopeful that he can continue to turn the corner on the mental aspect of the game is he’s in his third year as a starter. On top of that, he has obviously found a way to deal with all the criticism and vitriol, as he played pretty loose last night.

I am with you in hoping Spencer proves his critics wrong. As I’ve always said, his issues have never been from lack of ability.

IF Petras can carry his play from last night, the game can serve as a stepping stone for the season. It was as confit and accurate as he’s looked in a couple years imo. That’s my hope for the season now. Petras as he played last night can win games for Iowa and have us with a chance for Indy. Petras as he played the first two games probably has a ceiling of 7 or 8 wins.

You are joking, right? Man, the false sense of bravado after beating a terrible Nevada team is borderline comical but is/was predictable. This team is maybe a 7 win team with last night spencer. We will be lucky to win 5 with crappy spencer. Michigan and osu is going to be a complete embarrassment.

So your best guess is that this game was a one-off for Petras? I hope you're wrong. I really liked what I saw from him for the first time since 2020...
Agree, was best game for him in a very very long time. With that said, I think we see the 2021 SP again once B10 play resumes. Michigan knows how to get after him and have feeling Rutgers will too..... Dial up the pressure and he's toast.

Petras looked somewhere right at or below the average level against Nevada.. He did make some better throws and seemed to move around a bit better. But quite a few teams in the big ten have about 3 of those Peterson’s on their D line and as much as Matt Millen talked up their D backs (which actually he seemed like he did to praise Petras) that’s a average unit in the conference.. He’s going to need to get better every week against better competition.. 😬
Great observation, it did seem like MM was gushing about their DBs a little TOO much…😎

Reactions: ClarindaA's
You are joking, right? Man, the false sense of bravado after beating a terrible Nevada team is borderline comical but is/was predictable. This team is maybe a 7 win team with last night spencer. We will be lucky to win 5 with crappy spencer. Michigan and osu is going to be a complete embarrassment.
I’m afraid you are probably going to be proven right. And I really believe regardless of all the personnel issues that get discussed, the entire Iowa offense needs a whole new approach in terms of blocking schemes, play designs, formations, etc.

The bottom line for me is there has been talent come into the program the last 5-7 years that wasn’t there throughout the early and mid-2010s. The issue is systemic. And while it’s true Petras has been putrid, the Iowa offense isn’t exactly “quarterback-friendly.”

Petras did look better and I hope he continues to improve but I am more concerned with the lack of consistency by the OL. They are not getting better and as we go into conference play, their deficiencies will get worse. We found a new weapon in Kaleb Johnson. We can use his speed and quickness to attack the edge. On to Rutgers.

I’m afraid you are probably going to be proven right. And I really believe regardless of all the personnel issues that get discussed, the entire Iowa offense needs a whole new approach in terms of blocking schemes, play designs, formations, etc.

The bottom line for me is there has been talent come into the program the last 5-7 years that wasn’t there throughout the early and mid-2010s. The issue is systemic. And while it’s true Petras has been putrid, the Iowa offense isn’t exactly “quarterback-friendly.”

Before last night, I was placing most of the blame on petras. After last night, the only bright spot on that offense kaleb Johnson. Doesnt matter though, he won’t see the field much as leshun will be back next week. The o line is dreadful. Laporte is a huge disappointment and the Receivers leave a lot to be desired. And yes, I agree that most of this is from coaching. It’s incredibly disappointing. They need a complete overhaul on offense.

Will people stop putting all the blame on 7. No, he's not a great QB but with this line and wr corps Drew Brees would struggle.

Reactions: BurgHawk87
Will people stop putting all the blame on 7. No, he's not a great QB but with this line and wr corps Drew Brees would struggle.

See my next post right above yours. While my original post appeared to be blaming only spencer, I am not. The offense as a whole is abysmal.

I’m not blind. I know the offense has a long way to go, and if last night was the ceiling then yeah our ceiling is 8 wins at best. I’m more optimistic than you as much because as I think the b10 west stinks this year and all divisional opponents are winnable as a result of our defense/special teams. Our offense doesn’t have to be great, or even good to do that much. They just have to be average.

After last night, the only bright spot on that offense kaleb Johnson. Doesnt matter though, he won’t see the field much as leshun will be back next week.
There is no doubt Kaleb Johnson should be the featured back. If your scenario does indeed play out, and KJ barely gets any touches against Rutgers, then that will be more insane than Kirk sticking with Petras through the first two games.

And sadly, I can see that happening.

…was only average against one of the worst defenses in football.
That’s the problem. And it doesn’t bode well for the rest of the season.

At this point, I’m thoroughly convinced the issue is predominantly systemic. While the talent level isn’t superb, there’s enough of it to field a competent offense. Kirk’s system is just too antiquated and easy to dissect.

There is no doubt Kaleb Johnson should be the featured back. If your scenario does indeed play out, and KJ barely gets any touches against Rutgers, then that will be more insane than Kirk sticking with Petras through the first two games.

And sadly, I can see that happening.
KJ has played in every game this year, hasn't he? I think he's passed Lashon (not Lashun) fo now since Lashon fumbled.

Williams was at his fathers funeral. Kaleb should be our featured back, with Lashon 2 and Gavin 3, but Kirk and sonny boy will play Gavin. As far as Petras, he sucked last year, sucked the first 2 games this year, and was 54% with 1 TD against the worst football team to play in Kinnick in a very long time. Anyone encouraged by last night is grasping for straws, as it was due to how bad Nevada was. It’s going to be ugly in conference play.

Reactions: not_mantiteo
Talent can be judged by guessing how many starters will play in the NFL. I suppose LaPorta will. The RBs are too young for me to decide. Maybe an O-lineman or two will be free agents. Other than that, nobody.
In Other Words, I don't see a lot of talent on O

I don't see how anyone can think we can win 8 or even 7 games. What 5 teams in the B1G that is worse than SDSU or even ISU?
Losses for sure to OSU, Michigan, probably Minn and Illinois and Wisky. Probably lose to Purdue and Rutgers too.
EDIT: This assumes no big improvement in the OL.

Drew Brees would struggle? One of the best QB in NFL history would struggle against Nevada?
This is the worst offensive line of the Ferentz era.

This is the worst WR Corps of the Ferentz era.

Spencer is not a great QB but it doesn't matter who is playing that position right now with those areas struggling as much as they are. The QB always takes the brunt of the blame when an offense struggles, but it's getting a bit out of hand in Iowa City; there is plenty of blame to go around, starting with the guys with headsets on.

Reactions: not_mantiteo
I don't see how anyone can think we can win 8 or even 7 games. What 5 teams in the B1G that is worse than SDSU or even ISU?
Losses for sure to OSU, Michigan, probably Minn and Illinois and Wisky. Probably lose to Purdue and Rutgers too.
EDIT: This assumes no big improvement in the OL.
I think we are playing for a bowl game at Rutgers Saturday. We lose in New Jersey and it’s really hard to see anything above or even at six wins.

We're going to see if his improvement was a head fake next week. I think Rutgers has as good a defense as ISU so it should be a pretty good measuring stick.

tenor.gif

This is the worst offensive line of the Ferentz era.

This is the worst WR Corps of the Ferentz era.

Spencer is not a great QB but it doesn't matter who is playing that position right now with those areas struggling as much as they are. The QB always takes the brunt of the blame when an offense struggles, but it's getting a bit out of hand in Iowa City; there is plenty of blame to go around, starting with the guys with headsets on.
This is what makes it so hard to fix. It's not just one thing. There are a lot of parts to this offense that are very weak right now with the oline continuing to be at the top of that list.

Reactions: gojojo
Kaleb Johnson is a true freshman and is 6' 1".
He weighs 210 pounds and ran for 103 yards
on only 7 rushes. His 2 touchdowns were an
unexpected source of offense.

Bottom Line: Coach KIrk needs to seriously
give this young stud more playing time in our
Big Ten games.

Which part? Overthrowing wide open receivers? Staring down his man?
two of the “overthrows” you stated were the receivers fault. one where he stumbled and was unable to react to the ball and the other where the receiver looked inside when he needed to be looking toward the sideline and away from the defender. the ball was thrown to the outside as it should have been and needed to be. both of these were catchable balls.

Bruce had the defense beat by over 5 yards on the TD and Petras nearly overthrew Him , made him lay out to make a great catch , Petras was the same Guy just a horrific HS level defense . Iowa keeps putting 7 out there and there will be no bowl guarantee .

• Haha
Reactions: HawkOn15
Bruce had the defense beat by over 5 yards on the TD and Petras nearly overthrew Him , made him lay out to make a great catch , Petras was the same Guy just a horrific HS level defense . Iowa keeps putting 7 out there and there will be no bowl guarantee .
There is no bowl guarantee regardless. It's not like we have a good oline and wide receivers right now to offset the weakness at QB. Spencer can improve and the offense can still sputter.

I'm inclined to agree but hopeful we can see more of this from Spencer going forward. At least he didn't look completely broken like he did the first 2 games. What people seem to be forgetting as you said is the quality of the opponent and the fact that we also have weak oline and WR play to contend with along with challenges at the QB spot. Those units need to improve as well to have success.

We're going to see if his improvement was a head fake next week. I think Rutgers has as good a defense as ISU so it should be a pretty good measuring stick.
I'm at the point where I need to see him do it over 3-4 games, and especially when the bullets are flying.

I'm at the point where I need to see him do it over 3-4 games, and especially when the bullets are flying.
Sure, but if he simply reverts back to the first 2 games, then I don't think we need to wait before we have a definitive answer.

I don't know about Drew but he's been getting little help from most of the other players on offense.....

Sure, but if he simply reverts back to the first 2 games, then I don't think we need to wait before we have a definitive answer.
Exactly. I didn't say wait 3-4 games, I said he needs to do it over 3-4 games, as in do it consistently. If he reverts at all he isn't getting it done.

ADVERTISEMENT