ADVERTISEMENT

There's talk about a Big 10/ACC Merger...

The Tradition

HR King
Apr 23, 2002

A Big 10 and ACC Merger on the Horizon?​

NoleThruandThru

My, my, what an interesting 24 hours! I’ve never been shy of my disdain for the ACC and it’s former commissioner but OU and Texas just opened the realignment floodgates again, so it’s time to dream a little.

FSU won’t be in the SEC, of that I’m confident. If the SEC poached from the ACC it would target UNC (may settle for NC State) and Virginia (may settle for VT) to expand the footprint.

The GOR really complicates a lot of this but if the ACC is serious about keeping up with the SEC, it needs to be in contact with the Big Ten Conference right now. It seems as though the era of the Mega Conference/Super Conference (whatever you want to call it) is quickly approaching and in my mind, a B1G/ACC merger makes a lot of sense. The B1G will have to abandon its sanctimonious academic requirements to expand and a merger between the two conferences might also be what it takes to finally add in Notre Dame.

What remains to be seen with a merger like this is whether full inclusion happens or only the cream of the crop are included. Universities like Boston College and Wake Forest could be on thin ice and if they’re left out, the AAC may become an option for the lower-tier schools. We’ll see how much academic standards and past alliances mean once all that money starts talking...

Can you imagine FSU traveling to Michigan or Wisconsin in November? It could become a reality…

What does HROT think of this?

Reactions: Hawked

NoleThruandThru

My, my, what an interesting 24 hours! I’ve never been shy of my disdain for the ACC and it’s former commissioner but OU and Texas just opened the realignment floodgates again, so it’s time to dream a little.

FSU won’t be in the SEC, of that I’m confident. If the SEC poached from the ACC it would target UNC (may settle for NC State) and Virginia (may settle for VT) to expand the footprint.

The GOR really complicates a lot of this but if the ACC is serious about keeping up with the SEC, it needs to be in contact with the Big Ten Conference right now. It seems as though the era of the Mega Conference/Super Conference (whatever you want to call it) is quickly approaching and in my mind, a B1G/ACC merger makes a lot of sense. The B1G will have to abandon its sanctimonious academic requirements to expand and a merger between the two conferences might also be what it takes to finally add in Notre Dame.

What remains to be seen with a merger like this is whether full inclusion happens or only the cream of the crop are included. Universities like Boston College and Wake Forest could be on thin ice and if they’re left out, the AAC may become an option for the lower-tier schools. We’ll see how much academic standards and past alliances mean once all that money starts talking...

Can you imagine FSU traveling to Michigan or Wisconsin in November? It could become a reality…

Whatever puts Iowa State in the Mountain West.

The Big Ten makes more money from media than any other conference. They don’t need anyone else.

NoleThruandThru

If there is a merging of conferences, I would prefer the PAC12. USC/UCLA/Stanford/Oregon, then maybe Washington, Colorado, Cal, and Arizona. Oregon state, AZ State, Washington State, and Utah can suck a D. That would give us 22 teams. I would only take another 2 if we had to. I that case it would be ASU and Oregon State.

If there was an ACC merger, that would be okay too. For sures on my list would be Clemson, FSU, NC, Virginia, GT, Duke, and ND (assuming they would join as part of this). That would give us 21. Next school in would be Miami or Pitt. Probably Pitt. If we needed 24 I would take Miami and then I guess a toss up between Louisville and Syracuse. The loser of that coin toss, Va Tech, BC, and Wake can also go suck a D.

Reactions: sober_teacher
I’m ok with it as long as it is still called the Big Ten Conference with two divisions, the Atlantic Coast Division and the Real Big Ten Division!!

Reactions: THE_DEVIL
Big Atlantic Union

BAU
tenor.gif

The Big 65 will leave the NCAA and form divisions.

Northern Plains Division; Iowa, MN, WI, NW, IL and Purdue.

We play them and then a rotation of home and aways with the other 59.

I'm sorry, but there's just something different about Florida's combination of heat and humidity. It drives people crazy. That's why there are so many "Florida Man" stories in the news.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT