ADVERTISEMENT

There's talk about a Big 10/ACC Merger...

It has. I walked to class in January when it was 17 degrees and windy. Of course four days later I was sitting outside catching rays in 72 degree weather.
Cold weather wreaks havoc with speed.......Weather is the great equalizer....The Hawks in the heat are not what I want to see, as depth becomes a problem most years.......Cold weather on the other hand.....

I think many here would feel better if Delaney was sitting i the chair in Chicago about this time......What kind of "association" comes forth from another merger? Will it be an "athletic" merger only.......of will it be academic driven?

I think many here would feel better if Delaney was sitting i the chair in Chicago about this time......What kind of "association" comes forth from another merger? Will it be an "athletic" merger only.......of will it be academic driven?

The ACC would be a boost to the Big Ten’s academic rating other than Louisville. But Louisville is our Nebraska, a school where we held our respective noses and let in because we wanted their sports.

According to US News, here’s the academic standing of the combined ACC and Big Ten with the ACC schools in bold.

Northwestern 9th
Duke 12th
Notre Dame 19th

Michigan 24th
Virginia 26th
North Carolina 28th
Wake Forest 28th
Boston College 35th
Georgia Tech 35th

Wisconsin 42nd
Illinois 47th
Miami 49th
Ohio State 53rd
Purdue 53rd
Florida State 58th
Syracuse 58th
Pittsburgh 58th

Maryland 58th
Penn State 63rd
Rutgers 63rd
Minnesota 66th
Clemson 74th
Virginia Tech 74th

Indiana 76th
Michigan State 80th
NC State 80th
Iowa 88th
Nebraska 133rd
Louisville 176th

And for those Big Ten and ACC fans advocating for West Virginia to be added…..

West Virginia 241st

Cincy isn’t very good either but at least they’re just a few spots down from Nebraska at 143rd.

Kansas, which is a school I see lots of Big Ten fans clamoring over, is only ranked 124th. Okie State is 187th. Iowa State is 118th. The University of South Florida is 108th and the other end of the I-4 War the University of Central Florida is 160th.

Last edited:
There are almost as many colleges that have wrestling as a sport across all of the NCAA, NAIA, and the various Junior College Leagues as there are schools that play Division 1 basketball. So it’s a VERY niche sport. Might as well brag about the badminton trophies.

You're welcome for allowing you here at HROT. Take your terrible takes and shove them where the sun don't shine (back to the Noles board).

The ACC would be a boost to the Big Ten’s academic rating other than Louisville. But Louisville is our Nebraska, a school where we held our respective noses and let in because we wanted their sports.

According to US News, here’s the academic standing of the combined ACC and Big Ten with the ACC schools in bold.

Northwestern 9th
Duke 12th
Notre Dame 19th

Michigan 24th
Virginia 26th
North Carolina 28th
Wake Forest 28th
Boston College 35th
Georgia Tech 35th

Wisconsin 42nd
Illinois 47th
Miami 49th
Ohio State 53rd
Purdue 53rd
Florida State 58th
Syracuse 58th
Pittsburgh 58th

Maryland 58th
Penn State 63rd
Rutgers 63rd
Minnesota 66th
Clemson 74th
Virginia Tech 74th

Indiana 76th
Michigan State 80th
NC State 80th
Iowa 88th
Nebraska 133rd
Louisville 176th

West Virginia 241st

Cincy isn’t very good either but at least they’re just a few spots down from Nebraska at 143rd.

Kansas, which is a school I see lots of Big Ten fans clamoring over, is only ranked 124th. Okie State is 187th. Iowa State is 118th. The University of South Florida is 108th and the other end of the I-4 War the University of Central Florida is 160th.
While MBB and other sports are important, football is king. ND was a one-year only member of the ACC for football.

Northwestern 9th
Duke 12th
Notre Dame 19th

Michigan 24th
Virginia 26th
North Carolina 28th
Wake Forest 28th
Boston College 35th
Georgia Tech 35th

Wisconsin 42nd
Illinois 47th
Miami 49th
Ohio State 53rd
Purdue 53rd
Florida State 58th
Syracuse 58th
Pittsburgh 58th

Maryland 58th
Penn State 63rd
Rutgers 63rd
Minnesota 66th
Clemson 74th
Virginia Tech 74th

Indiana 76th
Michigan State 80th
NC State 80th
Iowa 88th
Nebraska 133rd
Louisville 176th

West Virginia 241st

Iowa Republicans have made no secret they want Iowa to become the next Kansas...and they will defund and under fund education until we get there.

A Big 10 and ACC Merger on the Horizon?​

NoleThruandThru

My, my, what an interesting 24 hours! I’ve never been shy of my disdain for the ACC and it’s former commissioner but OU and Texas just opened the realignment floodgates again, so it’s time to dream a little.

FSU won’t be in the SEC, of that I’m confident. If the SEC poached from the ACC it would target UNC (may settle for NC State) and Virginia (may settle for VT) to expand the footprint.

The GOR really complicates a lot of this but if the ACC is serious about keeping up with the SEC, it needs to be in contact with the Big Ten Conference right now. It seems as though the era of the Mega Conference/Super Conference (whatever you want to call it) is quickly approaching and in my mind, a B1G/ACC merger makes a lot of sense. The B1G will have to abandon its sanctimonious academic requirements to expand and a merger between the two conferences might also be what it takes to finally add in Notre Dame.

What remains to be seen with a merger like this is whether full inclusion happens or only the cream of the crop are included. Universities like Boston College and Wake Forest could be on thin ice and if they’re left out, the AAC may become an option for the lower-tier schools. We’ll see how much academic standards and past alliances mean once all that money starts talking...

Can you imagine FSU traveling to Michigan or Wisconsin in November? It could become a reality…

What does HROT think of this?
With the ACC being an ESPN property this seems an unlikely marriage.

With the ACC being an ESPN property this seems an unlikely marriage.
I'm curious as to why that would be so. The BTN holds the rights to all B1G home games but there would be games played on ACC fields that could go to ESPN. Seems like both would benefit from some marquee match-ups. I'm not really up on the ins and outs of the various conference deals so I am probably missing something but with the kind of money involved, I'm certain they could work out a deal.

Because, for Iowa State to have a snowball's chance in hell of getting a Big Ten invite, a Big Ten/ACC merger CANNOT happen.

I don’t think that will happen. I think the Big Ten will eventually invite 8 ACC teams (FSU, Notre Dame, Clemson, UNC, UVA, Virginia Tech, Georgia Tech and Pitt) with the possibility of adding two more either from the ACC (Miami, NC State, Syracuse, and BC in that order of likelihood) or from a small collection of others (Kansas, Cincinatti, Memphis, UCF, USF, Liberty, Baylor, TCU, Oklahoma State, and West Virginia).

It’s the exact same temperature and humidity today in Iowa City as it is in Tallahassee.

The July average daily humidity in Iowa City is 83%. In Tallahassee, it is 77%.

At least your consistently wrong.

At my house in P'Cola, the heat index was 100+ for 48 straight days (80% were 110+)..........growing up in Kentucky, I thought I knew hot. I did not.

Reactions: DFSNOLE
ADVERTISEMENT