ADVERTISEMENT

These points add up to a win against Michigan....

HawkDoggy

HR All-State
Nov 20, 2021
1) One decent drive for a TD from the offense....something in the realm of a 75 yard, 12 play sustained drive.
2) 3 FGs sprinkled throughout the game....2 of which will likely be 45+ yarders. These will, on the surface, be frustrating at the time because the offense will have stalled. They add up and are critical to a Hawkeye win.
3) A turnover forced by our defense that either creates a defensive score or gives our offense a very short field, leading to a quick offensive TD.

23 points at home against Michigan wins the game.

I'd like to read your thoughts on how you think the Hawks win this game. Would be nice if it didn't start with "fire the Head Coach and his Son" or "don't let Petras anywhere near the field".

Come on...what's your combination of things that lead to the point total we need to win?

I don’t see this offense sustaining a 12-play drive against that D. I don’t think we have the capability, between our highly inconsistent OL, our immobile QB, and our questionable WR’s, to string together that many well-executed plays. Too much potential for mistakes, penalties, and negative plays, any of which will kill the drive. This O has far too little margin for error to sustain a long drive against Meatchicken, IMO.

I do think it’s a winnable game, and I certainly didn’t have that opinion 2 weeks ago. But I think it will take defense and special teams setting up the O with short fields. I think the O will need to put together a couple of first downs on most possessions to get us near midfield. Then Taylor needs to pin them deep and hope our D can make a stop or force a turnover. Then we’ll need to capitalize, most often with FG’s but hopefully at least one TD.

We’ve upset them in ugly defensive battles before. We’ll have to play a clean game — minimize penalties and avoid turnovers, and execute better than we have all season on O, and our kicking game will have to be on point. I think we’ll need some miscues from them too. Gotta win field position.

It could happen. Need a lot of things to go our way, however. All of that said, I was impressed by the way Maryland moved the ball on them, but their O is light years ahead of ours.

Last edited:
1) One decent drive for a TD from the offense....something in the realm of a 75 yard, 12 play sustained drive.
2) 3 FGs sprinkled throughout the game....2 of which will likely be 45+ yarders. These will, on the surface, be frustrating at the time because the offense will have stalled. They add up and are critical to a Hawkeye win.
3) A turnover forced by our defense that either creates a defensive score or gives our offense a very short field, leading to a quick offensive TD.

I'd like to read your thoughts on how you think the Hawks win this game. Would be nice if it didn't start with "fire the Head Coach and his Son" or "don't let Petras anywhere near the field".

Come on...what's your combination of things that lead to the point total we need to win?
Your optimism is greatly appreciated. I agree that there is definitely a recipe for victory but we’ll have to play a near perfect game, no penalties or turnovers and hope Michigan does make some mistakes. Iowa usually steps it up in these kind of games, I’m expecting a close game with Iowa winning it in the fourth on a field goal.

Reactions: kceasthawk
Michigan is over-rated, but coverage is going to need to be damn good because old JJ is going to be running all over the field like a chicken with his head cut off. ESTABLISH THE RUN. Petras will not be able to throw against those turds.

I do think it’s a winnable game, and I certainly didn’t have that opinion 2 weeks ago. But I think it will take defense and special teams setting up the O with short fields. I think the O will need to put together a couple of first downs on most possessions to get us near midfield. Then Taylor needs to pin them deep and hope our D can make a stop or force a turnover. Then we’ll need to capitalize, most often with FG’s but hopefully at least one TD.
This is just sad….…that we are reduced to:

1. Hoping the offense can get to midfield.
2. Hoping our punter pins the opponent deep.
3. Needing the defense to make a stop or get a turnover.

Most teams expect the offense to score points. Not Iowa. We either need the defense to score, or hope the other team makes mistakes in order to win.

Sad.

I'm not see I see a non-fantasy way for the Hawks to beat Michigan, but then again Kinnick can be a magical place.

The few times I watched Michigan this year, the offense looks complete. JJ is really good. I wouldn't have thought a Michigan defense would give up 400 yards to Maryland, so maybe there is some hope for the Hawks on O.

And, surprisingly, they look well-coached. One turnover and one penalty.

It will take a supreme effort and some Kinnick magic to get this one IMO

I don’t see this offense sustaining a 12-play drive against that D. I don’t think we have the capability, between our highly inconsistent OL, our immobile QB, and our questionable WR’s, to string together that many well-executed plays. Too much potential for mistakes, penalties, and negative plays, any of which will kill the drive. This O has far too little margin for error to sustain a long drive against Meatchicken, IMO.

We’ve upset them in ugly defensive battles before. We’ll have to play a clean game — minimize penalties and avoid turnovers, and execute better than we have all season on O, and our kicking game will have to be on point. I think we’ll need some miscues from them too. Gotta win field position.

It could happen. Need a lot of things to go our way, however. All of that said, I was impressed by the way Maryland moved the ball on them, but their O is light years ahead of ours.
I can't disagree with anything you wrote....other than I think they can sustain one fairly long drive. Wouldn't it be great if it happened on the very first possession? Would really build confidence and momentum.....and set a positive tone for the game.

Reactions: WWDMHawkeye
Your optimism is greatly appreciated. I agree that there is definitely a recipe for victory but we’ll have to play a near perfect game, no penalties or turnovers and hope Michigan does make some mistakes. Iowa usually steps it up in these kind of games, I’m expecting a close game with Iowa winning it in the fourth on a field goal.
I like that....and I'm sure we would all take that!

I expect a valiant effort, but in the end, our defense will spend too much time on the field and wear down. Michigan is legit and their OL is very good. Somewhere around 27 - 16 Michigan.

Michigan has averaged 44 points in its last 8 games, including 42 against both Iowa and Ohio State. The only team to slow them down was Georgia who had maybe the best college defense in the past ten years. Holding Michigan to less than 24 points is a tall order, even for this defense.

Reactions: dadster
I expect a valiant effort, but in the end, our defense will spend too much time on the field and wear down. Michigan is legit and their OL is very good. Somewhere around 27 - 16 Michigan.
I could see that happening too. I hope not, obviously....and, I will say, I will be surprised if Michigan scores 27 points on this defense at Kinnick.

We will not beat Michigan.

That makes no sense.
Vegas Insider has Michigan as a TD fave (7.5 to be exact). That sounds reasonable as I was thinking about 7-10 point faves myself. Was hoping for a night game (or at least an afternoon game where the 4th quarter is dark) but Kinnick is rarely kind to Michigan.

Iowa will need Tory and Drew to be on point as both will be needed aplenty methinks. Michigan has a strong offense but if Iowa ends up +2 or better in the turnover margin (even better if the turnovers are pick sixes or scoop+scores), it’s anyones game. Maybe Iowa’s offense will lull Michigan’s D to sleep and Petras will throw a pretty deep bomb to AB4.

Reactions: Ree4 and BBHawk
Vegas Insider has Michigan as a TD fave (7.5 to be exact). That sounds reasonable as I was thinking about 7-10 point faves myself. Was hoping for a night game (or at least an afternoon game where the 4th quarter is dark) but Kinnick is rarely kind to Michigan.

Iowa will need Tory and Drew to be on point as both will be needed aplenty methinks. Michigan has a strong offense but if Iowa ends up +2 or better in the turnover margin (even better if the turnovers are pick sixes or scoop+scores), it’s anyones game. Maybe Iowa’s offense will kill Michigan’s D to sleep and Petras will throw a pretty deep bomb to AB4.
I am waiting for Brecht to have a break out game. I hope it's against MI.

We will not beat Michigan.
What do you see as the final score? Could it be close....or are you expecting a blow-out loss for the Hawks? Genuinely interested....not at all trying to disagree....just looking for further perspective.

I am waiting for Brecht to have a break out game. I hope it's against MI.
Me too. That said....I was disappointed that we didn't throw any deep balls to him against Rutgers. I feel like he missed an opportunity for additional growth and confidence boosts.

Reactions: BBHawk
Me too. That said....I was disappointed that we didn't throw any deep balls to him against Rutgers. I feel like he missed an opportunity for additional growth and confidence boosts.
Maybe it's because he looked like he wasn't ready against Nevada and they didn't like the odds of success. Deep balls already have lower success rates and that's with more seasoned receivers.

Reactions: HawkDoggy
What do you see as the final score? Could it be close....or are you expecting a blow-out loss for the Hawks? Genuinely interested....not at all trying to disagree....just looking for further perspective.
Not a blowout. Phil would not permit that.
Despite an outstanding defensive performance and solid special teams play, we will suffer defeat by the score of @17-0.

Maybe I’m being too cynical but this looks like a 7 win team. I don’t see a lot of outcomes where Iowa wins outside of 3-4 TO’s and points from our defense.

Michigan has averaged 44 points in its last 8 games, including 42 against both Iowa and Ohio State. The only team to slow them down was Georgia who had maybe the best college defense in the past ten years. Holding Michigan to less than 24 points is a tall order, even for this defense.
That's what I thought in 2016 as well...

No Hawkeye turnovers. OL give Petras time to throw. No big plays for Michigan. Perfect field goals. Win special teams match ups.

Reactions: HawkDoggy
I think it’s a blowout like a 38-7. It’ll be close for the first half but I can’t see any way we can keep our defense off the field. We’ll just get worn down by the body blows. When we last beat them at home it was Wadley who took over that game. You need a player good enough to make a chunk play by himself even the D has him circled. We have no such animal.

.. . I think they can sustain one fairly long drive. Wouldn't it be great if it happened on the very first possession? Would really build confidence and momentum.....and set a positive tone for the game.
Absolutely. It's a shame KF won't let LeVar Woods dial up a few trick plays. Iowa used several a few years ago--tackle eligible for a TD vs. Purdue, the amazing fake punt vs. OSU--but nada in the last couple seasons. Why not?

Anyway, here's what I would do on Saturday vs. Michigan, so you can be sure KF won't do any of it. But I'm gonna share this anyway.

First offensive series I'm goin' no huddle. Catch the Wolverines totally off guard. The first eight plays are scripted, and you start over if you haven't scored yet. Put the pressure on from the start. And the first play of the game would be a flea-flicker. Second play, if necessary, would be a halfback pass--the exact same play Michigan beat Iowa with for a TD in the championship game last December. And then, if necessary, a hook-and-lateral from LaPorta or Lachey to Kegan Johnson. Throw the kitchen sink at these guys. Have some fun. Be the aggressor. And then next series I'd go traditional. But then I'd go no huddle several more times as the game dictated. Wear the Wolverines defense down. Get the Iowa offense into a rhythm.

The last time I can remember Iowa going no huddle was with James Vandenberg in the fourth quarter against Pitt @ Kinnick. Using that offensive strategy, Iowa scored the largest fourth-quarter comeback win in school history. And, naturally, Iowa hasn't used the no huddle since.

There are SO many things Iowa could dust off and run and throw at Michigan. But KF will opt to rely on execution of the same old, same old, and he'll almost certainly get the same results, results that have Iowa last in the nation in offense despite playing a weak schedule.

The crowd will be ready to explode. KF should let LeVar give them several reasons to do so. Michigan uses trick plays, Alabama does, but they're too much for KF to stomach, apparently. He still thinks punting is the most beautiful thing an offense can do.

Anyway, I'm gonna be there Saturday on what should be a beautiful day for football. I'll be fearing the worst and hoping for the best. But as we know, hope ain't a strategy.

• Haha
Reactions: Hwk-I-St8
Contain Corum. (It's a tall order, especially with a tired D.)
Find multiple interceptions.
Contain Corum.
Punt and pin.
Contain Corum.
Make all field goal attempts.
Get one magic play out of the offense. ( PSU 2021)
Kinnick the hell out of them.

Michigan is over-rated, but coverage is going to need to be damn good because old JJ is going to be running all over the field like a chicken with his head cut off. ESTABLISH THE RUN. Petras will not be able to throw against those turds.
Petras will be able to throw to the tight ends, not completing any because Michigan will be double teaming them and letting the wr go free since Petras doesn't look for them anyway.

Reactions: littlez
ADVERTISEMENT