ADVERTISEMENT

These points add up to a win against Michigan....

I'm not see I see a non-fantasy way for the Hawks to beat Michigan, but then again Kinnick can be a magical place.

The few times I watched Michigan this year, the offense looks complete. JJ is really good. I wouldn't have thought a Michigan defense would give up 400 yards to Maryland, so maybe there is some hope for the Hawks on O.

And, surprisingly, they look well-coached. One turnover and one penalty.

It will take a supreme effort and some Kinnick magic to get this one IMO
Stats can be funny...you say Michigan gave up 400 total yards...well yeah (technically 397 but same thing)...a good amount of that was late in the game...

RU threw for 300 against Iowa...a good amount of that was when they were trying to come back...RU has at best half the talent on 0 as Michigan...I don't expect Michigan to throw for 600+...would actually be surprised if we even matched RU's passing yards though I expect us to score me...

Stats are funny

Reactions: Greenway4Prez
1) Contain Corum.
2) Put heat on their young QB and force a TO or 2.
3) Keep up the OL improvement.
4) Win the special teams battles.
5) Hit one deep pass to Brecht or Ragaini.

Reactions: HawkDoggy
To defeat Michigan we will need to; 1) run the ball, 2) get at least three turnovers and get a score from two of those, 3) hope Michigan comes out overconfident, 4) hope we get a few timely calls to go our way, 5)hope the home crowd is louder than they ever have been, 6) Tory continues his punting magic, 7) make a play on offense that we didn't think was possible.

And, that's all it takes. :cool:

1) One decent drive for a TD from the offense....something in the realm of a 75 yard, 12 play sustained drive.
2) 3 FGs sprinkled throughout the game....2 of which will likely be 45+ yarders. These will, on the surface, be frustrating at the time because the offense will have stalled. They add up and are critical to a Hawkeye win.
3) A turnover forced by our defense that either creates a defensive score or gives our offense a very short field, leading to a quick offensive TD.

23 points at home against Michigan wins the game.

I'd like to read your thoughts on how you think the Hawks win this game. Would be nice if it didn't start with "fire the Head Coach and his Son" or "don't let Petras anywhere near the field".

Come on...what's your combination of things that lead to the point total we need to win?
Good plan.

Maryland's big running back was getting some really good runs against Mich yesterday. The announcers talked about Maryland having a big and experienced line which the hawks really do not have. But I think the hawk Oline can get some push and the hawks can run the ball pretty well to setup some passes.

And I liked the pass late yesterday to Leshon I think out in the flat after he left the backfield for about 8 yards and a first down.

I think the defense will be ok as long as they tackle great and Corum etc cant bust big plays. I think our defense is more disciplined than Marylands. I mean right before the half Maryland totally lost the edge on a short down situation and let Corum go untouched about 45 yards for a TD

Reactions: HawkDoggy
1. Hoping the offense can get to midfield.
2. Hoping our punter pins the opponent deep.
3. Needing the defense to make a stop or get a turnover.

Most teams expect the offense to score points. Not Iowa. We either need the defense to score, or hope the other team makes mistakes in order to win

This is it.
End thread.

All other talk is just jokes and or speculation.

We are going to have to rely on the D, FOR FOUR QUARTERS of getting THREE DOWN BREATHERS, to win this.

Yikes.

Do not expect much of a game 31 to 3 Michigan. Defense cannot be on the field all night and be effective against a top 5 team. Petras will probably throw a couple picks. JMO

1) One decent drive for a TD from the offense....something in the realm of a 75 yard, 12 play sustained drive.
2) 3 FGs sprinkled throughout the game....2 of which will likely be 45+ yarders. These will, on the surface, be frustrating at the time because the offense will have stalled. They add up and are critical to a Hawkeye win.
3) A turnover forced by our defense that either creates a defensive score or gives our offense a very short field, leading to a quick offensive TD.

I'd like to read your thoughts on how you think the Hawks win this game. Would be nice if it didn't start with "fire the Head Coach and his Son" or "don't let Petras anywhere near the field".

Come on...what's your combination of things that lead to the point total we need to win?
Hawks by a million!.....

Ferentz is 15-5 against that insignificant program. They should be thinking up fantasy scenarios to get win #6.

(ok so I actually believe it will be a blowout or close into the 4th where it all falls apart so everyone can bitch about coaching again)

Fire the head coach and his son.

Reactions: Iron Doc
The team’s defenses play to their scoring averages and Iowa wins it in a FG battle 12-6.

Michigan has steamrolled most of their opponents this season but their strength of schedule is #176th YTD. They should be steamrolling teams with that level of opponent. Maryland hung around most of the game as a road dog, which should give us some hope. This is also Michigan’s first road game in a very hostile Kinnick stadium with a lot on the line for them, Iowa is playing with house money so they should play loose.

Jeem Harblah has never won a game in Kinnick as a player or as a coach. Hopefully Iowa has a puncher’s chance to pull the big upset Saturday.

Reactions: Ree4 and HawkDoggy
This is it.
End thread.

All other talk is just jokes and or speculation.

We are going to have to rely on the D, FOR FOUR QUARTERS of getting THREE DOWN BREATHERS, to win this.

Yikes.
You wouldn’t be JHS Class of ‘77 would you?

does michigan’s other qb become available for next week or will it be just mccarthy?

does michigan’s other qb become available for next week or will it be just mccarthy?
Highly doubtful Cade will be able to play.

Related Notes: starting TE Eric All will be out also. However, his "backup" was also on the Mackey Award pre-season watch list. He led the team in receptions this past week.

Edwards, two of our OL (starter and 1st guy off the bench) and a starting LB should all be ready to go this week. At least a couple of them probably would have played, last week, if we had been playing tOSU instead.

Reactions: desihawk
We can’t let McCarthy get loose. I think we’ll do good enough against their running attack to put them in third and mediums, but if we let McCarthy run, this game is over.

Got lots of respect for Iowa. Im not looking forward to this game one bit. Its going to be painful to watch. I'm 50.9 percent sure we'll find a way. Wouldn't touch Michigan against that spread though

I'm pretty sure we've punted in every game we've won. Further, I'd argue that punting was key to the winning pts vs SDSU.
If you are punting, you are not scoring. Of course teams punt almost every game, but too many punts is not good……and I don’t care how many times you pin the opponent inside their 10.

Needing the punting game to beat SDSU? Not good.

If your biggest offensive threat is your punter, that’s a recipe for disaster.

Last edited:

All The pressure is on them.. We are not suppose to win they are the ranked powerhouse. So play loose and let it fly.. sorta like the Ohio St game where we blasted them.

ADVERTISEMENT