ADVERTISEMENT

These stats say a lot

What your facts are ignoring all wise one is Iowa PLAYED the teams they tied and won a tiebreaker during Hayden’s time! KF DID NOT play the team he tied and benefits on regular basis of not playing all the big boys and still can’t win it!

HF didn’t have the luxury of skipping the best teams in the conference every year. Undefeated til he played someone. Wisconsin is the only good team on that schedule in 2015... had to beat one good team!!

If a undefeated conference record is your measure of success then you must be very proud!!
Okay....

Crap, had an old part of a post saved on there.

My point still stands.........make more f***ing sense when you speak. Friends? :)

I’m well aware Evil that your the only voice of Hawkeye reason. If it doesn’t fit your narrative then your just an idiot.... You solved all problems Hawkeye if only someone outside of a message board would listen...whatever!!

I’m well aware Evil that your the only voice of Hawkeye reason. If it doesn’t fit your narrative then your just an idiot.... You solved all problems Hawkeye if only someone outside of a message board would listen...whatever!!
My God........I'm finally beginning to reach people! :eek::):eek::)

tenor.gif

Reactions: BBHawk
Well then they should stop turning the ball over.....

I agree, this would help!

There are other things that would help too though. One of these things would be to make it a priority to recruit (AND PLAY) mobile QBs. As I understand things, Peyton Mansell is exactly of that mold, but he's pretty much been relegated to #3 status if not totally off the board given once Petras wins the job, we rarely ever look back and give anybody else a shot.

First of all, the BIG is much tougher today then it was when Hayden coached. I don't remember every non conference game Hayden had Iowa play, but they played Drake a lot and Iowa State. ISU Stunk for the majority of those years, and Drake I wouldn't say was a powerhouse, although they did win ten games one year. Yes, they played Nebraska a couple times, winning once and losing the second under Fry. But Wisconsin and Northwestern are both far better then they were for the majority of time Fry was here. Kirk is 8-8 in Bowl games while Fry was 6-7-1. Fry went to three major bowls ( 3 ROSE) and was 0-3 while Ferentz has been to three major bowls (2 Orange and 1 Rose Bowl) and is 1-2. Bottom line, the W\L percentage is basically equal, and the results are basically equal. So I stand by what I said, Iowa has basically been the same since Hayden Fry took to the sidelines back in 1979. BTW, when Hayden won the Big ten, there was the original 10 schools less Penn State. Hayden split the big ten championship in 1981 with tOSU, won it outright in 1985, split it with Illinois, Michigan and Michigan State in 1990, while Ferentz has split his with tOSU and Michigan. Bottom line, Apples to Oranges.

The excuse that Wisconsin, MSU, NW are far better than they used to be is the crux of the problem---those programs have made great strides while KF has been getting worse. KF also benefited from a poorly coach Penn State under Joe Paterno---KF had JoePa's number. The last couple PSU coaches have had KF's number. So Iowa is a middle of the pack B1G team....if they lose to Purdue (again), then Iowa is probably a below average B1G team.

The excuse that Wisconsin, MSU, NW are far better than they used to be is the crux of the problem---those programs have made great strides while KF has been getting worse. KF also benefited from a poorly coach Penn State under Joe Paterno---KF had JoePa's number. The last couple PSU coaches have had KF's number. So Iowa is a middle of the pack B1G team....if they lose to Purdue (again), then Iowa is probably a below average B1G team.
I see your point, and basically were comparing apples to oranges This year Iowa still has a chance at a ten win season, and I think that would be a great season by Iowa standards. Now, I think Hayden was a little more creative with his play calling, I'd give you that. People can argue that this was different then, and this is different now, but the reality says that Iowa has been an above average team since Fry took over in 1979, with the occasional great seasons sprinkled in here and there......... About Penn State. They did not join the BiG until 1990 and Hayden started in 1979 so the majority of Fry's Iowa career he did not face Penn State. Wisconsin was a mediocre team at best until 1993, and Northwestern was a big time doormat till what, 1995? I would personally say Iowa has not regressed under Ferentz, I would say that the BiG has just got much tougher. Even Purdue was no gimmie when Tiller was the coach, and most of his years were against Ferentz.

Sadly this is what we are. Kirk's overall record at Iowa is 156-103 (.602). I love Kirk and the person that he is ... I like we do things the right way ... Your are what your record says you are ... We're a "consistent" program. Good but not great.

Sidenote: I think we lose at least two games a year due to coaching/being outcoached. Michigan's D Coordinator Don Brown schooled Brian F when it came to strategy ... Franklin also outcoached us in the second half ...

Something's not right on offense. This is not Iowa football when it comes to execution (missed blocking assignments, poor execution on the ground) .. I think Brian is a very smart man. But I also think there had to be many other better/more qualified candidates to be our OC. We look like we have Nate thinking too much ... He's like Big Ben in the pocket ... Our QBs seem overcoached ... We've seen many transfer out to other programs and put up staggering passing yards.

There is no law that says Iowa is entitled to a winning football season. Minnesota, Illinois, Northwestern, Purdue, Iowa State and Nebraska are also trying to win.

Reactions: scotthawk1964
ADVERTISEMENT