ADVERTISEMENT

'They are being sold as paraphernalia': Iowa Legislature moving to add a steep tax to glass pipe sales

cigaretteman

HB King
May 29, 2001
Iowa would levy a new tax of at least 20% on the sale of glass and metal pipes designed for smoking tobacco and other substances, and require the retailers who sell the pipes to obtain a separate permit, under a bill the Legislature is advancing this session.

The revenue from the tax and permit fees would support specialty courts that address substance use disorder and mental health issues, according to Senate File 363. It unanimously passed the Senate and is moving through committees in the House.

Lawmakers are still determining the amount of the tax. The Senate approved taxing the popes at 40% in February but House lawmakers are now proposing to lower the tax to 20%.

The bill has the support of multiple Iowa mental health groups. But a group of Iowa smoking accessory shop owners formed a coalition to oppose the bill, saying they are being unfairly targeted and that the measure would kill some small businesses.

Sen. Dan Dawson, R-Council Bluffs, the bill's sponsor in the Senate, has said the proposal comes amid a "proliferation" of glass pipe sales. Retailers say they sell the pipes for tobacco and incense use, but Dawson said the pipes are primarily used for drugs like methamphetamine, heroin and cocaine.

Dawson said he wants to make those selling devices that can be used for drug use accountable for supporting mental health and other resources to help.

"These devices, I've said from Day One, are not being sold as glass art — that is, functionally, a lie. It is actually offensive to say it," Dawson told a House subcommittee on Tuesday. "They are being sold as paraphernalia. They're not being sold as incense burners. They're not being sold (for) tobacco."

In 2014, the Iowa Court of Appeals ruled that unused glass pipes are not drug paraphernalia under Iowa law.

Shop owners: Bill would 'scapegoat' glass art​

A group of Iowa business owners who sell smoking accessories contend the Legislature is grouping in items together that it shouldn't be grouped. In a Change.org petition, the shop owners wrote that the "vast majority" of glass art can't be used to smoke illicit substances like meth, and many legitimate shops don't carry devices that can.

"As Iowa, understandably, aims to address its methamphetamine problem via a tax that is intended to directly affect a specific consumer's pocket, it will inadvertently take money from the pockets of Iowans that are not part of the problem looking to be addressed, crush small businesses and eliminate 1,000s of jobs," the online petition says.

More:Opinion: Bill to put 40% tax on functional glass art would hurt Iowa businesses like mine

At Unkl Ruckus's Smoking Emporium, which has two Des Moines locations, owner Zerron Horton said glass items in his shops range from $5 to $5,000, meaning the 20% to 40% tax could range from as low as $1 to as high as $2,000 on a single item. While his shops offer a diverse range of items, he said, he fears the legislation could ruin other shops that have a more narrow focus on the regulated items.

"There's a whole community and industry built around functional glass art, and these guys are basically trying to scapegoat them, saying they're selling these $3,000 to $4,000 artistic pieces to smoke meth out of, and that's the justification for going after them with this bill," Horton told the Des Moines Register Tuesday.

The petition last month gained more than 3,400 supporters. The group also hired a lobbyist who has registered in opposition to the legislation and begun advocating on their behalf, Horton said. Horton said he's not against imposing taxes or regulations on items that would be used for smoking meth and other illicit substances, but the bill needs work.

Bill would charge $1,500 for permits, add criminal charge for violators​

More at: https://www.press-citizen.com/story...-legislature-senate-house-smoking/7204272002/

• Haha
Reactions: Chishawk1425
I love the head shop owners acting like they don't just sell pipes that people use for drugs. I wonder if they even buy it, or if it makes them somehow feel better about what they're selling. Something about putting lipstick on a pig. Their glass pipes are "functional art" in the same way that hookers are "performance artists".

When I was in college, if you bought a pipe you'd also have to buy an amount of tobacco - to show that you intended to use the pipe for legal purposes. Not sure if they even bother with that any more.

Seems like a great use of time and money. Get those criminals to pay more. That will stop them!
If the funds from the tax really do go to covering the state's costs for mental health/substance abuse treatment, then I don't mind it. It seems like a good idea to narrow down the people that cause/support the problem, and have them pay for at least some of the treatment.

This part is pretty laughable:

""...it will inadvertently take money from the pockets of Iowans that are not part of the problem looking to be addressed, crush small businesses and eliminate 1,000s of jobs," the online petition says."

People who don't buy crack glass pipes will not have to pay anything. And I doubt any head shops that go out of business are supporting thousands of jobs in Iowa.

Last edited:
"Retailers say they sell the pipes for tobacco and incense use, but Dawson said the pipes are primarily used for drugs like methamphetamine, heroin and cocaine."

A) I would estimate that 90% of glass pipes are used for smoking pot, 5% for tobacco, and 5% for "hard drugs". Why did they conveniently leave marijuana off the list?

B) Do people smoke incense? That's news to me!

Iowa would levy a new tax of at least 20% on the sale of glass and metal pipes designed for smoking tobacco and other substances, and require the retailers who sell the pipes to obtain a separate permit, under a bill the Legislature is advancing this session.

The revenue from the tax and permit fees would support specialty courts that address substance use disorder and mental health issues, according to Senate File 363. It unanimously passed the Senate and is moving through committees in the House.

Lawmakers are still determining the amount of the tax. The Senate approved taxing the popes at 40% in February but House lawmakers are now proposing to lower the tax to 20%.

The bill has the support of multiple Iowa mental health groups. But a group of Iowa smoking accessory shop owners formed a coalition to oppose the bill, saying they are being unfairly targeted and that the measure would kill some small businesses.

Sen. Dan Dawson, R-Council Bluffs, the bill's sponsor in the Senate, has said the proposal comes amid a "proliferation" of glass pipe sales. Retailers say they sell the pipes for tobacco and incense use, but Dawson said the pipes are primarily used for drugs like methamphetamine, heroin and cocaine.

Dawson said he wants to make those selling devices that can be used for drug use accountable for supporting mental health and other resources to help.

"These devices, I've said from Day One, are not being sold as glass art — that is, functionally, a lie. It is actually offensive to say it," Dawson told a House subcommittee on Tuesday. "They are being sold as paraphernalia. They're not being sold as incense burners. They're not being sold (for) tobacco."

In 2014, the Iowa Court of Appeals ruled that unused glass pipes are not drug paraphernalia under Iowa law.

Shop owners: Bill would 'scapegoat' glass art​

A group of Iowa business owners who sell smoking accessories contend the Legislature is grouping in items together that it shouldn't be grouped. In a Change.org petition, the shop owners wrote that the "vast majority" of glass art can't be used to smoke illicit substances like meth, and many legitimate shops don't carry devices that can.

"As Iowa, understandably, aims to address its methamphetamine problem via a tax that is intended to directly affect a specific consumer's pocket, it will inadvertently take money from the pockets of Iowans that are not part of the problem looking to be addressed, crush small businesses and eliminate 1,000s of jobs," the online petition says.

More:Opinion: Bill to put 40% tax on functional glass art would hurt Iowa businesses like mine

At Unkl Ruckus's Smoking Emporium, which has two Des Moines locations, owner Zerron Horton said glass items in his shops range from $5 to $5,000, meaning the 20% to 40% tax could range from as low as $1 to as high as $2,000 on a single item. While his shops offer a diverse range of items, he said, he fears the legislation could ruin other shops that have a more narrow focus on the regulated items.

"There's a whole community and industry built around functional glass art, and these guys are basically trying to scapegoat them, saying they're selling these $3,000 to $4,000 artistic pieces to smoke meth out of, and that's the justification for going after them with this bill," Horton told the Des Moines Register Tuesday.

The petition last month gained more than 3,400 supporters. The group also hired a lobbyist who has registered in opposition to the legislation and begun advocating on their behalf, Horton said. Horton said he's not against imposing taxes or regulations on items that would be used for smoking meth and other illicit substances, but the bill needs work.

Bill would charge $1,500 for permits, add criminal charge for violators​

More at: https://www.press-citizen.com/story...-legislature-senate-house-smoking/7204272002/
**** the GOP **** these atrocities

I'm not against this but tax junk food and soda a little bit more as well. Reward those with healthy lifestyles.
defining junk food would be a huge fight but I would support it with this caveat.

Iowans can weigh in once a year and if they are not clinically overweight they get a dollar amount from that pool of tax money. Let’s say 50/50. State keeps half and all the people that weight healthy split the remaining pot equally.

Around 10 years ago, I took my family to a music festival at a big campground on the banks of the Suwannee River in north Florida - the Spirit of the Suwannee Music Park. My boys were about 7 & 5, and we went with another couple who had boys the same age. While the adults were setting up the campsite, the boys were running around in the woods. After a bit, the younger son of the other couple came running back to the camp area, yelling "Momma Momma, I found a DOLPHIN!!!"
And I'll be damned, he had indeed found a dolphin - kind of in a pose, with its' head held high, its' tail curled.....and shaped into the form of a bowl, with a hollowed out body & holes in the snout. :D His mom took it from him real quick & told him we'd bring it down to lost & found later because the person who'd lost it would probably be looking for it.

If the funds from the tax really do go to covering the state's costs for mental health/substance abuse treatment, then I don't mind it. It seems like a good idea to narrow down the people that cause/support the problem, and have them pay for at least some of the treatment.

This part is pretty laughable:

""...it will inadvertently take money from the pockets of Iowans that are not part of the problem looking to be addressed, crush small businesses and eliminate 1,000s of jobs," the online petition says."

People who don't buy crack glass pipes will not have to pay anything. And I doubt any head shops that go out of business are supporting thousands of jobs in Iowa.
You know they won't use the money for those needs.

More regulation from the party of limited government.

I'm not against this but tax junk food and soda a little bit more as well. Reward those with healthy lifestyles.

I actually agree with this. Therefore I wonder if it really has a shot at passing. I do completely enjoy the hypocrisy of Republicans though. John Kass had a hissy fit over soda taxes, for example. The only vices that shouldn't be taxed are apparently those of fat, old middle class people.

Last edited:
Reactions: cigaretteman
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT