ADVERTISEMENT

Thief steals more than 20 briskets from east Austin restaurant...

The Tradition

HR King
Apr 23, 2002
AUSTIN, Texas — An unknown suspect reportedly stole "thousands of dollars worth of briskets" from an Austin favorite, la Barbecue, early Thursday morning.

According to the restaurant, the unknown suspect allegedly broke into the restaurant on East Cesar Chavez Street in East Austin shortly after 4 a.m. The restaurant said he jumped over the side fence, cut off barbecue pit locks and loaded more than twenty whole briskets into an SUV before driving off.

The restaurant is asking for help in identifying the suspect and asks that anyone with information call the Austin Police Department. The incident is reportedly la Barbecue's fifth break-in.

If there's ever a time to believe in karma, it is now. That said, fifth break in? Might want to try a different strategy.

Crime in East Austin? Hard to imagine. I guess la Barbecue’s owners are discovering why rent is so much lower east of I-35. You pay one way or another.
I don’t want to suggest it is their fault or that they deserve to be robbed. It’s just a simple observation of demographic reality.

So someone stole 20 fully cooked briskets? That would be a hot/greasy mess. Going over a fence means they had to have two people to hand over the fence or something too. And, require a large truck with coolers or something. Then, once you have this what do you do with it? Freeze it and consume it as you go? It's best right off the smoker but would go bad in days.

ADVERTISEMENT