ADVERTISEMENT

Things Iowa FB could do without

hexumhawk

HR Legend
Sep 24, 2003
North Liberty
1) The every game OL clipping call. How many games in a row until we stop chopping people that are engaged? We get called for that at least once a game with the zone scheme.

2) Crazy Train on 3rd down- There are a gazillion songs to use...at the very least switch it up. I cant take it anymore.

3) Open green space corners in SEZ. Do something with this; new south end zone, plant corn in those spots, sell mosh pit tickets....whatever get creative.

One illegal chop-block a game is the greatest Hawkeye tradition since the wave. I'm starting to think Kirk is calling it on purpose as a form of protest.

This would actually be awesome and I want it to be true based on previous games calls.

However, the call on Hock Saturday was legitimate. He literally dove at a guy from the side, can't recall if he was engaged but wouldn't have mattered since he wasn't in front of him. Previous game calls though have been mostly BS.

Reactions: thewop
The pa guy to stop announcing the damn wave....pisses me off.

STOPPPPP BLARING EFFING MUSIC MID IOWA CHANTS ESPECIALLY BEFORE 1ST KICKOFF FOR EFFSAKES

Reactions: JAMAM
The pa guy to stop announcing the damn wave....pisses me off.

STOPPPPP BLARING EFFING MUSIC MID IOWA CHANTS ESPECIALLY BEFORE 1ST KICKOFF FOR EFFSAKES

YES! The beauty of the whole wave idea was how organic it was...people aren't going to forget when to do it.
Only a matter of time before some sponsor jumps in and they’ll have to let us all know that the wave is sponsored by......

KF as said numerous times he will continue to coach the OL to block that way. He’s not changing because the rule change. I would think it is some form of protest because he doesn’t agree with it.

Being an undersized LG in high school the chop block was my go to move every game lol. Just have to be sneaky;)

Only a matter of time before some sponsor jumps in and they’ll have to let us all know that the wave is sponsored by......
Yep... the beautiful thing about the wave was that it was organic and people got behind it. Shoot, i would almost like it more if the PA announcer didnt even mention it between quarters and just let it happen. Very clear caee of less is more

1. I like crazy train
  2. I like wave on wave
  3. I like enter sandman
  4. I like female cheerleaders
  5. I like back in black
  6. I'd like to hear AC/DC Thunder now and then.
  7. I'd like to hear the start of Teenage Wasteland now and then.
  8. I'd like a much larger jumbotron
  9. I'd like to hear Rubber Band Man by the Spinners sometime
  10. I'd like to hear the Pointer Sisters do Jump sometime
  11. I'd like smaller hot dogs with steamed buns
  12. I'd like corn dogs, but not the 12" kind. No way I could take 12".
  13. I like it when Laura Vandeberg wears shorts
  14. I'd like the Barito Lift music to be "I like Big Butts and I Cannot Lie"
  15. I'd like to see all white travel uniforms once.
  16. I'd like Kettle Corn in October
  17. I'd like free programs
  18. I'd like to lose a few pounds.

Last edited:
  1. I like crazy train
  2. I like wave on wave
  3. I like enter sandman
  4. I like female cheerleaders
  5. I like back in black
  6. I'd like to hear AC/DC Thunder now and then.
  7. I'd like to hear the start of Teenage Wasteland now and then.
  8. I'd like a much larger jumbotron
  9. I'd like to hear Rubber Band Man by the Spinners sometime
  10. I'd like to hear the Pointer Sisters do Jump sometime
  11. I'd like smaller hot dogs
  12. I'd like corn dogs, but not the 12" kind. No way I could take 12".
  13. I like it when Laura Vandeberg wears shorts
  14. I'd like to the Barito Lift music to be "I like Big Butts and I Cannot Lie"
  15. I'd like to see all white travel uniforms once.
  16. I'd like Kettle Corn in October
  17. I'd like free programs
  18. I'd like to lose a few pounds.

Slow clap

This would actually be awesome and I want it to be true based on previous games calls.

However, the call on Hock Saturday was legitimate. He literally dove at a guy from the side, can't recall if he was engaged but wouldn't have mattered since he wasn't in front of him. Previous game calls though have been mostly BS.

That one was a textbook penalty. And it was on the backside of the play so really not necessary. I think the calls that anger the Capt are the ones a yard or two downfield that are still in the box but refs seems to think they are 5 yards out.

That one was a textbook penalty. And it was on the backside of the play so really not necessary. I think the calls that anger the Capt are the ones a yard or two downfield that are still in the box but refs seems to think they are 5 yards out.

Yeah, there have been several this year due to the "new rule" that look perfectly fine to anyone watching. Those are the ones I really hope KF tells his guys to keep doing just as a middle finger to the rules committee or whoever.

(not likely, but we can pretend)

KF as said numerous times he will continue to coach the OL to block that way. He’s not changing because the rule change. I would think it is some form of protest because he doesn’t agree with it.

Was just going to post this, except for the protest mention.

There needs to be a widespread fundraising element to the wave, set it up so people can text the word "kids" to a number to donate $5 or $10 to the children's hospital or a child cancer research facility, then get the announcers to say that on TV during every Iowa game. Imagine 25 years from now if we could say Iowa football helped cure cancer.

There needs to be a widespread fundraising element to the wave, set it up so people can text the word "kids" to a number to donate $5 or $10 to the children's hospital or a child cancer research facility, then get the announcers to say that on TV during every Iowa game. Imagine 25 years from now if we could say Iowa football helped cure cancer.

Excellent idea.

That is actually a great idea
make it happen internet!

That is actually a great idea
make it happen internet!

Suggest it to Hawkeye Heaven, he in turn will promote it, and at the same time take all the credit for the idea.

FWIW, Ive always thought there should be something along with it-if you think about it, just $1 per person, thats it....think how much money that would be at the end of the year. Now there are kids that wouldnt have that $1, but there are others that would give $5, or much more.....I agree that it can be so much bigger than a wave.

and the words don't match up the purpose behind "The Wave"...at all.

Actually, I think they do. I did some reading about the song - some say it's spiritual, some say it is about his wife - Pat Green says it can be about those or something else.

One writer thought that the "realization" of something came to him in waves - rather than an "Ah Ha!" moment. The beauty of the Wave is that it is something that continues, wave after wave, on several Saturday's each fall, hopefully forever.

Personally, I love the song, and think it is a perfect compliment to the Wave.

Apparently, lot of folks like it - or at least did back in 2004. ;)

"Wave on Wave" was named Country Song of the Year by the Society of European Stage Authors & Composers (SESAC) in 2003.[1] In addition, it was honored by Broadcast Music Incorporated (BMI) for one million spins on radio.[2] "Wave on Wave" was also nominated for a Grammy Award in 2004 for Best Country Song.[3] The song has sold 450,000 copies in the U.S. as of October 2014.[4]

Suggest it to Hawkeye Heaven, he in turn will promote it, and at the same time take all the credit for the idea.

FWIW, Ive always thought there should be something along with it-if you think about it, just $1 per person, thats it....think how much money that would be at the end of the year. Now there are kids that wouldnt have that $1, but there are others that would give $5, or much more.....I agree that it can be so much bigger than a wave.

Dam! This would be cool!

Imagine if they had a tote board on the jumbo tron - rolling up the day/season donation totals?

Go for it!

Actually, I think they do. I did some reading about the song - some say it's spiritual, some say it is about his wife - Pat Green says it can be about those or something else.

One writer thought that the "realization" of something came to him in waves - rather than an "Ah Ha!" moment. The beauty of the Wave is that it is something that continues, wave after wave, on several Saturday's each fall, hopefully forever.

Personally, I love the song, and think it is a perfect compliment to the Wave.

Apparently, lot of folks like it - or at least did back in 2004. ;)

"Wave on Wave" was named Country Song of the Year by the Society of European Stage Authors & Composers (SESAC) in 2003.[1] In addition, it was honored by Broadcast Music Incorporated (BMI) for one million spins on radio.[2] "Wave on Wave" was also nominated for a Grammy Award in 2004 for Best Country Song.[3] The song has sold 450,000 copies in the U.S. as of October 2014.[4]
Well said. If someone doesn’t like the song, that’s fine. But to say it’s not a very fitting song for what’s going on at that moment and for what “The Wave” is about makes me wonder if they’ve ever even listened to it.

Just my feeling: The more we try to add to The Wave, the higher chance we will ruin its authenticity. Let it be what it is.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT